PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0453 lesson learned

scott vroom
05-17-2011, 4:53 PM
Yesterday I planed four 13' long QSWO boards of varying widths on my G0453Z 15" planer. I noticed a slight variance in thickness on a couple of the boards even though the height setting was not changed.

I called Griz tech support; the gentleman told me this was a common issue where long/heavy stock was run through without adequate in/out feed support (causing the table to lower). The table is locked by 4 wedges pulled against the 4 columns when the locking knobs are tightened.

I noticed that even when the knobs are tightened hard it is still quite easy to change the table height by turning the adjustment wheel. It’s easy to understand how long, heavy stock could cause the table to move if not perfectly supported.

We had used 2 roller stands for the task, each positioned about 5 feet from the in/outfeed tables. Perhaps the roller stands need to be moved closer to the tables. Probably better yet to add 2 roller stands, 2 each at the infeed and outfeed ends.

I'd be happier if the G0453 had a better design to positively lock the table (as do the high-end Griz planers according to the tech). I guess this is one of those sacrifices I make in seeking out both low cost and value. I'll be more careful next time I plane heavy/long stock.

Not a complaint against Grizzly...just an ah-ha moment I thought I'd share.

Andrew Joiner
05-17-2011, 5:25 PM
Scott,
Did the table really move with the table locking knobs tight? Did the sag of the long lumber lift the middle of the boards off the the table?

Mike Goetzke
05-17-2011, 5:42 PM
Wow 13' seems to be unusually long to me. You probably need several supports. Any reason you need 13' length? I have the polar bear brother to your planer and have passed many 8' boards through it (without locking the bed) and haven't had a problem with the bed moving. Get yourself a Wixey remote planer gauge and search for my post on installing it and you will be able to tell if the bed is moving plus you won't regret the purchase of either tool.

Mike

Richard Wolf
05-17-2011, 5:43 PM
Also, the most common cause for the table to lower by itself is dull blades. You may want to check yours, QSWO can be a little hard on blades.

glenn bradley
05-17-2011, 8:41 PM
Scott,
Did the table really move with the table locking knobs tight? Did the sag of the long lumber lift the middle of the boards off the the table?

I'm giving this possibility more credence than carriage shift although it could happen with that kind of leverage. I could pick up the whole planer with 13' of lever ;-) We all know that the material should be well supported through the entire travel path of a cut on any machine right?

fRED mCnEILL
05-17-2011, 8:51 PM
i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY GRIZ 20 IN PLANER. Turns out the blades were dull. Sharp blades and it was perfect again.

scott vroom
05-17-2011, 9:04 PM
Good inputs all....thx. I hadn't considered the possibility that the board lifted off the table under the cutter. It's possible I suppose. I'm going to get the Wixey planer guage.

I've got a spiral cutter with sharp inserts.

Why 13' long? I'm making a 12' long slab desktop.

I think best practices dictate adding a second roller stand at both in/out feed ends (2 stands total each end) when running long, heavy stock.

The more I learn the less I know. Funny how that works out :)

dave toney
05-17-2011, 9:37 PM
The only thing holding the boards down tight on the tables are spring loaded rollers and a chip breaker.
I have a 20" Grizzly planer and I just support by hand on the infeed end until the board is halfway through and then walk to the outfeed and do the same, on a long board you have plenty of time to do it.
I find using rollers and supports on a planer tedious since the table is always being adjusted.
Don't let the board droop and keep sharp knives and I'll bet you have no more problems.
BTW, a support that is a little bit too high can be worse than too low, it will lift the board up off of the table.
Dave