PDA

View Full Version : Got a new addition to the family!

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 4:13 PM
I answered a CL ad late last night. Didn't think there was a chance in heck I'd get a call back. 7:00 this morning my cell rang. I was there by noon to pick it up. She's a bit heavy. I believe a bit old. But built sturdy! It came with 2 motors, one is 1/3 hp and not sure about the other. Certainly needs more beef in that department. NO idea where this would/will go. Don't have the room. Might try to make room. May have to clean her up and find her a new home. I couldn't pass her up for the price. I don't know that much about it. I've already posted on OWWM to get some scoop. Waddaya think?

John Keeton
05-17-2011, 4:58 PM
I think you have an illness, Mike!!!:D;) Looks like another likely candidate for a rebuild/restore!

Tim Rinehart
05-17-2011, 5:24 PM
Mike...nice piece of arn there! You gonna restore this puppy...or just the min to get it running?
Any specs on it?

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 5:58 PM
John, my wife would wholeheatedly agree with you and is ready to have me committed. Unless she finds out about this lathe. Then she'll put a contract out on me. Not sure about the total restore, though. I mean, if I do it, that would be the way to go. I really don't know a whole lot about this lathe, but I think it is older than dirt...

Tim, specs are about 36" between centers, 37" from floor to bed (without the wheels), and as it is, 12" swing. But that plate that the spindle is on looks like it could be flipped around in two seconds making it a 14 or 15" swing. Of course, the tailstock would need some sort of riser. But if I did that, I would give the tailstock a larger lift and the headstock could go higher very easily.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this lathe. I just couldn't pass up a free lathe. :D

Peter Hay in Aus
05-17-2011, 6:35 PM
Morning here Mike,

If the only task this lathe is given it would be eminentally suitable for drilling, it would appear to have an extraordinary thrust.

Another observation dice the wheels, nothing as exciting as a drifting lathe.

This lathe if it lines up accurately between the headstock and the tailstock, if the vee guides are made immaculate could give you great accuracy in turning.

The headstock will be easy to design a drive system with a decent motor, since in the USA you are deprived having 110 vollts your current is out of proportion for mine. I use 415v motors here for smooth as operation or 240v to 415v inverters for variable speed control.

From here I cannot tell the bearings are roller or sleeve so high speeds may not be possible.

Piece of cake to get it operational IMHO.

Incidentally its not that large a mate of mine uses a lathe he sits on the bed to turn was a ships lathe as Crocodile Dundee said thats a lathe.

I really like the bed configuration anyhow yours to enjoy or reject, SWMBO enters my domain with care and respect all the decisions in there are mine to make and in the interests of politeness and safety I always have the last two words in my house Sorry Darling. Also my beloved is my best friend for 59 yrs plus. She is crafty and
the finger of scorn pointed displays the last three fingers pointing back at the pointee.

Regard the whole exercise as amusing full of promise with a mixed level of anticipation as sleeping in a kennel with a new lathe may not be appropriate.

Have success mate. Kind regards Peter.

Tony De Masi
05-17-2011, 7:06 PM
Mike, I had no idea you were either looking for or would take another lathe. I only say that because I have one just like this in the barn that you could have had.

Dan Hintz
05-17-2011, 7:15 PM
I think my grandmother used one of these to spin yarn ;)

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 7:26 PM
Yeah, yeah, Tony...you've already got one...I know, I know...;)

Funny, I called Tony and Dan to tell them both about the lathe. Upon telling them that the lathe was made sometime between 1871 and 1891, yes, 1800's...not a typo...they both responded with the same smartassed remark..."Do you have to pedal it?"

Ok, I just had Christmas in May. I went through the boxes of extra stuff that came with the lathe. Here are the pics. There is everything from spur drives to live centers to a faceplate to motors to makeshift tool rests to all sorts of things I have no idea what they are. Feel free to put in your two cents with what they are.

This will take a few posts to get all the pics in...

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 7:27 PM
And here are some more...Oh, and yes ther is a chuck!

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 7:28 PM
Dan, this thing most likely predates your grandmother!!!!

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 7:30 PM
Oh, and John, you know who I have to thank for this illness don't you? I have SVD...spinny vortex disease!

Peter Hay in Aus
05-17-2011, 7:42 PM
By the way Peter thanks for spending the time to see if you can help especially not knowing you had the rest of the lathe. Wont happen again.

Unimpressed Peter.

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 7:45 PM
Not sure about this post, Peter. Actually, I was having a bit of trouble following your original post. Thought I'd go over it again after the beer wore off. Sorry, didn't mean to dismiss you. I'll give it a go later, then give you a shout outl. :)

John Hart
05-17-2011, 9:15 PM
Some people have all the luck. I just have to say congratulations, Mike. Any free lathe is pretty cool, but I think you got yourself a beautiful piece of equipment. Too bad you're not closer. I have a bunch of motors that would love to make her aquaintance.

Peter Elliott
05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I am SOOOOO glad I didn't answer my cell.... I can't afford another craigslist road trip. With our luck, I had the fear of jail, shotguns, city slickers, chickens - flash back from the last time....

Glad you made it home...

Your wife knows everything! don't kid yourself...

-Peter

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Oh, yes, she knows. And I won't be keeping it. Truthfully, I never really had plans to. But the one thing that was making me itch to keep it is that it is 120-140 years old. That is just WAY cool.

Mike Cruz
05-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Peter, agreed about the wheels. If I were keeping the lathe, I would certainly ditch the wheels. They do make it easier to move around the shop though.

The tailstock lines up pretty nicely upon first glance with the headstock. Maybe a smidge low, but I haven't checked for adjustments. I feel it is because of some shimming that was done.

While you are correct about 110 single phase being our typical voltage, 220 single phase is also quite readily available. I have 220 single phase outlets throughout my shop. And for that smoother operation and for variable speed, we use 3 phase motors and single to 3 phase converters via a VFD. Works great. This is of course in home/home shop use. Many/most businesses have 3 phase 460v.

From here I can't see the bearings, either. :) I'm in my house and the lathe is in the shop... I might check it out tomorrow to see if the bearings are sleeves or roller.

Thanks for your insight, Peter. And get your mate's butt off his lathe...he might discolor the ways!

Peter Hay in Aus
05-18-2011, 2:52 AM
Mike,

Guess I should explain some drill presses only drill less than two inches, a lot of lathes only travel the tailstock around less than two inches. I know you make pens so I thought you would have in this lathe a handy way to drill longer or deeper. Because I love machinery when I saw the long list of accessories it would provide a whole lot more oportunities as well. For ever most wood lathes leave me cold with their innacuracies and the fact it is almost impracticable to set them up correctly I sensed an oportunity again for you. Little did I realise you may not want to even keep it.

Recently I decided never to comment on others rather only saying how things were with me and here I was sharing with you it looked like comparing (no thought of that in my head) I also know I try too hard to help witness when we made that pen swap on another site one time. Think I will drop back to one liners and relax.

Kind regards Peter.

Mike Cruz
05-18-2011, 8:46 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Peter. I must say, though, I believe you have me confused with someone else. I don't make pens, and, not that I would be against it, but we haven't done any swaps. I would have for a relationship that you have forged with another person to get broken because of mistaken identity. Maybe this will be a good story to share with that other guy. Thanks again for taking the time to add perspective.

Baxter Smith
05-18-2011, 9:51 AM
Interesting lathe Mike. It would be fun to know its history! Does your wife have a birthday coming up? Maybe she would like to learn to turn! Would make an interesting conversation piece for the living room as well.:)

Dan Hintz
05-18-2011, 10:06 AM
I gotta say, Peter (Hay), you had me seriously scratching my head at your posts...

Mike Cruz
05-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I think Peter is scratching his head right now, too...wondering just who I am and trying to figure out who that other guy is. Simple case of mistaken identity... Hmmmm, got me thinking...who is this other Mike Cruz who has a "pen pal" (oh, I just kill myself!!!! :D) in Australia?

Dan Carroll
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Okay Mike, I can give you a hand if you need to hide it from the wife. YOu can even come visit it when you want. Seriously, what are you plans for the machine? I am in the market....

Dan Forman
05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Looking forward to see this restored to it's full glory.

Dan

Mike Cruz
05-18-2011, 1:48 PM
Dan C, the plans are up in the air. I do know that it will eventually be sold. The question is whether I will refinish it (completely or partially) or just sell it as is. This all depends on many factors...including whether someone wants to buy it as is, is interested in it refinished, or just needs it operational.

I tried the "It would make a great conversational piece in the house" angle on the wife, to no avail. So, yes it will need to find a new home.

Dan F, I am considering a full restore. That would include sand blasting, new bearings, using as much orginal equipment as possible (from what came in the goodies boxes), and mounting a motor. It seems like a fun project on a lathe that certainly deserves it.

Peter Hay in Aus
05-19-2011, 3:26 AM
Mike,
Guess I always try to help too often, it is time to one line answer, at rising 77 yrs I have suffered worse misunderstandings. Wrong guy still penning though now learning to say no. Was trying to engender some enthusiasm in your taking charge of something just because. Perhaps lighten up and taking into consideration posts are sometimes just that. I hasten to add you now have a lot of handy bits and pieces with that lathe as well.

Enjoy, have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.