PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Valley dual marking gauge

Mike Henderson
05-17-2011, 2:16 PM
Lee Valley has a new product out - a dual marking gauge (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42936&p=67466).

I'm just wondering what others think about it. In general, I think I'd prefer to have two single marking gauges, both with micro adjust. I wouldn't be able to mark a mortise or tenon with one stroke but that doesn't seem like a serious problem to me. Plus, I have more than two marking gauges already plus an old wooden dual marking gauge that I never use.

Anyway, what's your opinion?

Mike

Lawrence Richards
05-17-2011, 2:47 PM
It could be worse... april 1 a couple of years ago...
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=51633&cat=1,42936

Seriously though- in my shop multiple gauges arn't a problem, however I know some folk that work out of a toolbox that save space anywhere they can-- even with one less gauge

Therefore my opinion is quite lukewarm... probably wouldn't buy one but probably would use one if I was given one... I can certainly see a use for some folk though

Lawrence

David Weaver
05-17-2011, 2:57 PM
It's nice, i like the design. I like the wheel gauges and I like the orientation of the wheels so that the outside measurement of them is exactly what you get in regardless of the cutting depth.

But I don't need it and I won't buy it because I don't need enough stuff to put together an order big enough to justify the cost of shipping.

If it was local and I didn't have to pay to ship it, I might think differently. Marking and measuring is my least favorite part of woodworking (used to be machine setup or machine jigging, but eliminating machines eliminated that) unless I can reference parts of the work piece directly to mark other parts, so i'm usually game for anything that makes marking/measuring/checking stuff easier.

Jerome Hanby
05-17-2011, 3:08 PM
Similar to an old Stanley gauge, 91 I think.

Rob Lee
05-17-2011, 3:19 PM
Hi Mike -

I, too, like single gauges.

One big benefit of a double gauge is: you're never looking for the "other one" .... :)

Many folks like 'em. For those that work referentially, it's easy to set the wheel spacing directly from a chisel. Of course - we also make really effective gauge heads that can be used on single gauges too...

Think of a double gauge as a resettable "story stick" for mortising.... and it leaves your single gauge free for all other work...

Cheers -

Rob

David Weaver
05-17-2011, 3:23 PM
So, Rob...all we need is a retail store in Pittsburgh...

..and we just happen to have a few empty commercial spaces half a mile from my house.

Rob Lee
05-17-2011, 3:27 PM
So, Rob...all we need is a retail store in Pittsburgh...

..and we just happen to have a few empty commercial spaces half a mile from my house.

And... I could visit a store and go to Penguin's games.....

David Weaver
05-17-2011, 3:29 PM
That's true - less than 10 minutes from the igloo and the new arena.

john brenton
05-17-2011, 3:37 PM
You said it David. Thank God there are no brick and mortar stores in my area. I'd be severely in debt...more so, that is.

I won't buy it because I don't need enough stuff to put together an order big enough to justify the cost of shipping.

If it was local and I didn't have to pay to ship it, I might think differently.

Doug Shepard
05-17-2011, 3:45 PM
Shoot - I just placed an LV order a few days ago and didn't see that new gauge or I might have ordered one. I've got a dual gauge from BCTW that's nice but a bit on the larger (clumsier) side. The LV one looks nice, compact, and the price is sweet. The BCTW one I've got doesn't see all that much use but the dual cutters is nice to have at times. The intro price on the LV one is awful tempting.

Matt Radtke
05-17-2011, 4:43 PM

And thus United States civilization fell.

Jim Belair
05-17-2011, 4:51 PM
Count me in the lukewarm camp also.

Mike Givney
05-17-2011, 5:20 PM
I got the email the day after my recent order shipped. Bad timing !
As far as the gauge... It is the same design as an antique E C Stearns marking gauge that I use every day. The stearns is nickeled and marked on one arm in sixteenths. Great tool.

Eric Brown
05-17-2011, 6:07 PM
While the LV double gage looks nice and I'm sure it is made well, I prefer the older Barrett design of 1888. It used two lock screws instead of one and it has an eight sided shape to keep it from rolling off the bench. It also looks like it has more surface area for alignment.
There is one on e-bay right now. Bidding is up to about $10, but reserve not met.

Eric

Jason Coen
05-17-2011, 6:24 PM
While the LV double gage looks nice and I'm sure it is made well, I prefer the older Barrett design of 1888. It used two lock screws instead of one and it has an eight sided shape to keep it from rolling off the bench. It also looks like it has more surface area for alignment.
There is one on e-bay right now. Bidding is up to about $10, but reserve not met.

Eric

It looks like the LV has TWO lock screws, and I'd wager that the useable surface area available for alignment is greater on the LV than the Barrett. Also, I don't like the revolving cutters on the Barrett - I much prefer a fixed cutter. That said, the Barrett is a good tool, and I really like that mine stays put once I set it down. I'll probably pick up the LV version (I'm guessing this is the tool they based theirs on...) as I could always use another mortise marking gauge.

Jim Koepke
05-17-2011, 6:25 PM
For the longest time my go to gauge was a Stanley #98. It has two arms with pins at one end and wheels at the other. I do not recall using the pin ends. Most of the time it was used with only one arm set.

Since getting single marking wheel gauges a Veritas and a Tite Mark, those have been my go to gauges for most jobs.

For mortise marking, I use a dual pin gauge.

jtk

Joe McMahon
05-17-2011, 7:34 PM
I placed an order that shipped yesterday, otherwise I would get this. Shipping is the fly in the ointment.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-17-2011, 7:59 PM

I think the idea of offsetting the gauges in sort of a elliptical fashion on the LV gauge is to help keep it from rolling away. How well that works in practice is to be seen. The further instructions do confirm, as Jim said, that there's two thumbscrews.

The one thing I'd like about this would be being able to decide which side the bevel faces to by using the appropriate cutter.

Tony Zaffuto
05-17-2011, 8:07 PM

Rob,

Sounds like a plan to me! As soon as I get next year's hockey schedule, we'll see when Ottawa is in town and coordinate with Dave Weaver to get to a game and also do site selection for the store.

Maybe we'll have Jagr signed also, for his retirement season!

T.Z.

Pam Niedermayer
05-17-2011, 9:45 PM
...For those that work referentially, it's easy to set the wheel spacing directly from a chisel....

Rob, I don't see how offset wheels work for setting from a chisel. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Pam

Eugenio Musto
05-18-2011, 7:37 AM
Hi Mike -

I, too, like single gauges.

One big benefit of a double gauge is: you're never looking for the "other one" .... :)

Many folks like 'em. For those that work referentially, it's easy to set the wheel spacing directly from a chisel. Of course - we also make really effective gauge heads that can be used on single gauges too...

Think of a double gauge as a resettable "story stick" for mortising.... and it leaves your single gauge free for all other work...

Cheers -

Rob

I already have the Veritas single rod marking gauge and the LV mortise gauge heads but i think that this new double gauge is more fast and practical to setup.I couldn't resist it....
Rob, is this the only new tool coming?

Rob Lee
05-18-2011, 8:38 AM
(snip)Rob, is this the only new tool coming?

Hi Eugenio...

There's waaay more in the queue.. it's a very strong year...

About 10 new tools by end September. There's a lot we're sitting on right now.... just not the right time to release product. You can look forward to new planes, our new chisel line, high quality hardware, more sharpening equipment, and more bench stuff .... and a bunch of surprises.
All made in Canada, and the USA.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
05-18-2011, 8:47 AM
Rob, I don't see how offset wheels work for setting from a chisel. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Pam

Hi Pam -

You use the first wheel to set the inset distance from your reference surface. Then space the second wheel away from the first using a chisel as the spacer... while the offset axes of the gauge arms means that the wheels contact at different points along the chisel blade (length) - any parallax error is insignificant.

Alternatively - you could make an impression of the chisel edge on a piece of wood (perpendicular to a surface)- laying the first wheel at one end of the impression, and then setting the second wheel at the opposite end.

Cheers -

Rob

Trevor Walsh
05-18-2011, 9:04 AM
I'm a fan of the dual gage, I like the lv single marking gage, but don't like converting to the mortise heads. I also need another marking gage for layout, so I don't have to plan out all my marks for one setting at one time. This baby is going in the next order for sure.

From a historical point of view, I'm really happy to see Veritas put out a double beam marking gage, and I'm wound up with excitement at that new planes, hardware, chisels, bench and surprises.

Pam Niedermayer
05-18-2011, 4:32 PM
...any parallax error is insignificant....

Say he. :)

Pam

Frank Drew
05-18-2011, 6:52 PM
I've got several marking gauges, both single and double pin, so I guess I qualify as a collector; what can I say, I like rosewood and brass.

I've never used this kind of double beam gauge, or a gauge that uses wheel cutters, but I definitely prefer a double marker (of whatever design) for setting out mortises. Using two single-marking gauges seems like doubling your work, and for what purpose?

Mark Baldwin III
05-18-2011, 9:15 PM
I'm getting the impression that LV watches my bank account to determine the release of new tools..."ok, Mark's out of money, release the hounds!"

I need to add one of these to my wish list. It will be a huge improvement over my current marking gauges.

Bob Jones
05-18-2011, 11:16 PM
So is this the right thread to request a LV store in Memphis? I will add that it would make a great distribution center - think about it. :)

Leigh Betsch
05-18-2011, 11:38 PM
To be honest this is exacly what I've been wanting. I even made a trade for a chunk of brass to make my own but I've been too busy in the shop making plane floats to get started on it. So I think I'll get one ordered tonight.

Johnny Kleso
05-19-2011, 12:22 AM
As far as buying from ebay I have several Stanley gauges and the wheels and screws are froze up..
If I had to do it over I would buy a nice new gauge and be done with the extra work..

David Weaver
05-19-2011, 7:27 AM
So is this the right thread to request a LV store in Memphis? I will add that it would make a great distribution center - think about it. :)

That has to wait until after Tony and I have had a chance to get some bad local beer into Rob and get him to sign a few documents at a Pens game.

Eugenio Musto
05-19-2011, 7:48 AM
Hi Eugenio...

There's waaay more in the queue.. it's a very strong year...

About 10 new tools by end September. There's a lot we're sitting on right now.... just not the right time to release product. You can look forward to new planes, our new chisel line, high quality hardware, more sharpening equipment, and more bench stuff .... and a bunch of surprises.
All made in Canada, and the USA.

Cheers -

Rob
Excellent news!Thanks Rob!

Jason Coen
05-19-2011, 7:53 AM
How about a store in Raleigh?

Redneck hockey + Lee Valley = WIN!

Bob Jones
05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm sure they can expand to multiple cities :)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-20-2011, 12:02 AM
If they're not going to come to the states, howzabout Montreal? I can at least drive there and back in a day.

Will Blick
05-22-2011, 7:52 PM
Rob, any reason you don't offer a heads-up on some the new tools... IMO, it can only help, as people can budget and wait for the release.... I am curious what new planes are coming out...

Matt Radtke
05-22-2011, 8:58 PM
Rob, any reason you don't offer a heads-up on some the new tools... IMO, it can only help, as people can budget and wait for the release.... I am curious what new planes are coming out...

Rob, I must agree. I may not have the discretionary funds that used to (thanks to a stupid house and a beautiful daughter) but I believe Futurama said it best: http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/5574/original/1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

Rob Lee
05-23-2011, 5:32 PM

Hi Will -

Once we get rolling with some of that "new fangled social media stuff" we'll be able to give out exactly that sort of information :D. On bulletin boards, we only respond to requests for information - and rarely initiate threads...

The next plane coming out has already been to a show in the UK (small bevel-up smoother) ... and has been thouroughly covered on the UK Workshop forum.... along with detail palm planes, the double gauge, the precision squares just introduced, and the QR front vise... just to name a few.

It can also be a bit dangerous to talk about specific release dates, as something may pop up during production that creates a delay. No manufacturer wants to fail to meet expectation....

A last reason is patent work.... you can compromise your own intellectual property rights by making public disclosure....

Cheers -

Rob

Will Blick
05-25-2011, 2:53 PM
HI Rob... thx for response...

Yes, of course I don't expect you to compromise your company in any way with early announcements, or even exact release dates... my only point was, I notice more companies showing prototypes of products and giving approx. release dates, for the sole reason to be sure customers are aware this product is coming sooon, so they can "not buy a similar competitors product", or other products and shoot their budget.... I see this very prevalent in electronics now....

Leigh Betsch
05-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Rob, that autograph is just over the top! I just got my new marking gage tonight, what a nice tool. I gave it the toolmaker look over and I will say I couldn't have built a better one. And for anyone that isn't a tool and die maker, that is the biggest compliment a toolmaker can give. This in one perfectly machined tool. Beautiful. Thanks again for the attention to detail and posting on the Creek! You've made a life long customer. Now when are those chisels coming out......

Pedro Reyes
06-10-2011, 5:55 PM
Rob,

I'm not sure how easy it would be, but a real nice feature would be to be able to swap between mortise and tenon without losing the reference to the face. Can the fence be moved without changing the relationship of the wheels?

At this point I see myself using it differently from normal guages (where I "squeeze" my mortise chisel between the pins and then set the fence). I think I would stand the gauge on its end and use the chisel to offset the rod, mark once, set it on it's end, let the rod drop (keeping same face reference) then use the chisel again to position the other rod. All this assumes the cutters are the same distance from the (opposite) end of their rods.

am I complicating it too much?

/p

John Gornall
06-11-2011, 1:14 PM
Lee Valley stores and hockey - move out here to Vancouver, we've got 2 Lee Valley stores and our hockey team is still playing.

Sam Babbage
06-11-2011, 10:32 PM
The Veritas Precision Square is so very close to being my perfect pocket rule, but alas, the metric version is marked in centimetres not millimetres!

Rob Lee
06-13-2011, 5:24 PM
Lee Valley stores and hockey - move out here to Vancouver, we've got 2 Lee Valley stores and our hockey team is still playing.

I hope tonight's their last game.... :)

Also Hope someone has the game on in Sweetwater TN.....