PDA

View Full Version : What general purpose bansaw blade?

Adrian Rogers
02-06-2005, 1:57 PM
Everyone:

I read lots here, but really don't post much.

A few months ago, I purchased a used 20" Bridgewood bandsaw. I've decided on a Woodslicer from Highland hardware for resawing, and my question is what blade would everyone here recommend for general purpose bandsaw work like cutting curves? I don't think I'm ready to shell out the bucks for carbide yet. The saw blades that I need are 155" long, what width should I buy?

-Adrian in GA

Mark Singer
02-06-2005, 3:43 PM
I would get a 1/2 " 4 tpi timberwolf

I would get a 1/2" 10 tpi .o25 kerf Joint blade For making fine cuts. Lenox and Timberwolf have this one

Joseph N. Myers
02-06-2005, 8:16 PM
I second Timberwolf. You can give them a call at 1-800-234-7297, www.suffolkmachinery.co (http://www.suffolkmachinery.co). They are very helpful and don't forget to ask them if they have any specials going.

Another great source of band saw stuff is Iturra Design, 1-888-722-7078, no web site. They have a lot of after market stuff, information and special purpose blades. If nothing else, get a copy of their latest literture, its full of interesting information.

Regards, Joe

--- Half Time, tied, great game so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Adrian Rogers
02-06-2005, 8:43 PM
I picked up the 3/4" woodslicer from Highland Hardware this afternoon. Nice folks. Anyway, that's three votes for Timberwolf, two above and one from my buddy.

So I should be OK with a 1/2" blade? How smooth a cut should the 4tpi give? Between 4 and 10 tpi, am I just trying to strike a balance between speed/smoothness of cut?

-Adrian

Mark Singer
02-06-2005, 8:49 PM
If you are going to cut joints, such as tenons, dovetails. lap joints, bridal joints, halved joints, A fine blade like the .025 kerf 10 tpi will leave you a smooth finish ready to go. It is also easy to align to your scribe. The 4 tpi will cut curves very well and will resaw well. If you are going to scroll you may need a 1'4" blade and that will need cool blocks or carters to guide it.

Joseph N. Myers
02-06-2005, 9:30 PM
You have to be more specific about what type of cutting you'll be doing and maybe, just plan on getting probably 3 different blades.

Blade width comes into play for cutting radii, i.e., min. of 5-1/2 = 3/4, 2-1/2 = 1/2, 1-7/16 = 3/8, 5/8 = 1/4 and 1/8 = 1/8 (according to Iturra Design)

TPI comes into play with smoothness of cut, speed, feed pressure and wood thickness. I really don't concern myself that much with the 1st three as I can sand the cut, slow down and push harder. Wood thickness (and type of wood), I do care about. In general, again according to Iturra Design, is 3 TPI for 1" and thicker, 6 TPI for 1/2" to 1" and 10 TPI or more for Upton 1/2".

As an example, I cut 3D reindeer for Christmas out of different type of 2" wood, oak being the hardest. The legs and antlers radii are about 1-1/2". So I use 3/8 3 or 4 TPI and they work great. I'm using Timberwolf but should be pretty much the same for other brands.

Regards, Joe

Adrian Rogers
02-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys, you've given me enough info to at least research Timberwolf blades on my own. I can't imagine cutting a radius of more than 4 inches and almost anything I work with will be 1/2" - 1", with most falling in the 3/4" - 7/8" category. Currently, the only wood I have a large supply of is Walnut, so that's not too hard. Thanks again for the help

Joseph N. Myers
02-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks guys, you've given me enough info to at least research Timberwolf blades on my own. I can't imagine cutting a radius of more than 4 inches and almost anything I work with will be 1/2" - 1", with most falling in the 3/4" - 7/8" category. Currently, the only wood I have a large supply of is Walnut, so that's not too hard. Thanks again for the help
Adrian,

Hope I didn't mis-lead you.

The radius was less than, not more. So according to the chart, for a 4" or less radius, 3/4" would be out (5-1/2" greater than 4"), anything narrower, i.e., 1/2" would be ok (2-1/2" is less than 4").

Walnut is indeed a soft so you should have no problem doubling the TPI. The chart says 6 TPI for 1/2" to 1" so for walnut, no problem going 10-12 TPI.

Based on what you are saying, I'd start with a 3/8", 6 TPI. If it is not smooth enough, go to 10 TPI. If you need smaller radii, go to a narrower blade, say 1/4". So you would end up with a 10 TPI, 1/4".

Regards, Joe

Adrian Rogers
02-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Joe,

No, I understood the radius thing perfectly. I intended to call Timberwolf today, but some switchgear at work failed and we were without power for a few hours. Ended up being swamped the rest of they day. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Adrian