PDA

View Full Version : Burn Barrel Resurrection #3

Dick Wilson
05-17-2011, 12:05 PM

This is a Cherry hollow form that I tried to turn back in my "stupid years". I originally turned it with a wide natural edge collar. The body continued on above the collar. I could not get into the area where the collar and form met. Sooooo, I took an old tool that I never used and ground it to a fine point, sharp on both sides. Instead of spending 5 minutes practicing to see how it would work I approached the turning. I got a tiny catch that drove the tool to the left and for some reason the collar was rotating at a different speed than the turning :mad::mad::mad: I threw the thing on my bench which ended up in my burn barrel. Being the miser that I am I rescued it. Recently I thought: what if I glued the collar on upside down, finished of the base, and added a finial :D:D I did so and added wire burning, a finial, and did wood burning to hide the glue line where the collar was added. It will never make the cover of anything but I am happy that I was able to do something with it.

John Hart
05-17-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm so impressed with your burn barrel series. You're a good man, Dick. I bet all this time you thought you were a pack-rat....but really, you're a pack-artist. Nicely done. :)

Don Alexander
05-17-2011, 3:09 PM
nice save :) looks like your burn barrel is a treasure trove of design opportunities :D

Steve Campbell
05-17-2011, 6:09 PM
I want to come and raid your burn barrel. Mine just has junk pieces in it.

Steve

John M. Smith
05-17-2011, 6:39 PM
I think we should all send Dick our burn barrel pieces and see what he can do with them:D:D

John

Dick Wilson
05-17-2011, 7:21 PM
I want to come and raid your burn barrel. Mine just has junk pieces in it.

Steve

Steve, Develop an eye for pieces that might be used for a new piece in the future.