PDA

View Full Version : Breaking glue joint

Jerry Bittner
02-06-2005, 1:36 PM
I misaligned a tenon/mortise joint and question what is the best way of braking the joint to reset it?

Pete Rosenbohm
02-06-2005, 1:45 PM
You could possibly saw the joint apart and put in two mortises and a floating or loose tenon;)

Jerry Bittner
02-06-2005, 2:01 PM
Wow, your light years ahead of me. I have to admit you haveonce again made me aware what a novice I am because I have no idea what a loose or floating tenon is.

Steve Jenkins
02-06-2005, 2:14 PM
simply put, mortise both pieces and size a piece of stock to fit into the two mortises. That piece is a loose or floating tenon. A lot of people find it easier and faster to use floating tenons since you don't have to allow the extra length for nromal tenons when sizing your stock and the floating tenon can be made easily with the saw and planer. Steve

Jeff Sudmeier
02-06-2005, 2:14 PM
Jerry, a loose/floating tennon is just like the tennon that you made, only stand alone. Saw apart the joint, sawing off the tennon and leaving it glued in the mortise. Now cut a mortise in the correct spot on the peice you cut the mortise before. Cut the EXACT same size mortise in the peice you cut the tennon before. Now cut a tennon to fit between to two mortises.

Jerry Bittner
02-06-2005, 5:35 PM
Today was a good day -- I learned somthing.

Thanks guys -- that sounds a lot easier than the dowels I was preparing.

Joe Judge
02-06-2005, 7:48 PM
If its wood glue (titebond, hideglue, etc.) , then why not steam/heat or something to separate them?

Its how I once got a guitar's set-neck (think: dovetail or mortise/tenon) apart from the neck block to fix its angle.

--joe

Joseph N. Myers
02-06-2005, 7:53 PM
Jerry,

Why aren't you at the game? Bet you can't guess which team I'm betting on!

You may want to do a search for "beadlock" at www.rockler.com (http://www.rockler.com/) and this forum, in particular, "dowel jig question". It is a system that uses a jig, drill and special shaped dowels to produce loose tenon joints and has gotten good reviews although some report having trouble keeping things aliened. A little sandpaper and good clamps take care of any problems like that.

Regards, Joe