PDA

View Full Version : Stencils

Ian Franks
05-17-2011, 9:05 AM
Hi Guys
Another newbie question we make food stencils from PVC sheets on our plotter cutter. I would like to do this on the laser out of Mylar or equivalent. I have been phoning around for Mylar and none of the sign supply shops stocks this. I have sent an email to the local Dupont office.
Are there any other trade names that are used for laser safe material?

Larry Bratton
05-17-2011, 9:16 AM
This company sells it. I got a quote from this once and best I recall it was reasonable. Check it out http://www.grafixplastics.com/laserpro.asp?gclid=CNeCpbyI76gCFRFj7AodPGesJA

Oh, and you could also use oilboard. It works well for stencils. U-line sells it.

George D Gabert
05-17-2011, 9:19 AM
We get our Mylar film for making blue prints from a local engineering / drafting supply house.

Ian Franks
05-17-2011, 9:37 AM
This company sells it. I got a quote from this once and best I recall it was reasonable. Check it out http://www.grafixplastics.com/laserpro.asp?gclid=CNeCpbyI76gCFRFj7AodPGesJA

Oh, and you could also use oilboard. It works well for stencils. U-line sells it.
Thank Larry,
I am in South Africa so am looking for a local supplier. Would oil board be suitable for food stencils?

Ian Franks
05-17-2011, 9:45 AM
We get our Mylar film for making blue prints from a local engineering / drafting supply house.
Thanks George will try that just will it be stiff enough to hold above a cake and sprinkle?

Dan Hintz
05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
How big is the cake? For powdered sugar/doily type of work for anything other than a cupcake, I would want 20mils+ for stiffness.

Richard Rumancik
05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Drafting film usually stops at .007" as there is no need for thicker material for that application. Not that many people actually draw on Mylar anymore. The thickest industrial polyester I have found is .014" (not sure why - must be a technical limitation in the process.) That would probably be marginal for what you want to do - it might flex, especially given that it will have lots of cutouts. What thickness of PVC have you used in the past? You might consider PETG. It won't cut with a beautiful edge but for this application I think it could work. Since PETG is often used for food (bottles) you should be able to find sheet that would pass.

Bill Cunningham
05-17-2011, 9:28 PM
You might also check with commercial screen printers in your area. Many over laminates for membrane switches are screen printed Mylar, and some of it is quite stiff..

Larry Bratton
05-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Thank Larry,
I am in South Africa so am looking for a local supplier. Would oil board be suitable for food stencils?

No, I just meant stencils in general..probably too thin, although I think the stuff is just cardboard.

Andrea Weissenseel
05-18-2011, 1:37 AM
I make cake stencils out of 10mil Polyester film, Mylar I only use for wall stencils - mylar is not food safe

Al Bray
05-18-2011, 1:36 PM
If one is looking for thicker/rigid material that cuts well in the laser, I have been using the 60 mil ABS blank industrial sheets from Stencil Ease.

http://www.stencilease.com/db/display.asp?input=2334

They also reference a 40mil sheet material, at this link http://www.stencilease.com/milhelp.asp , though there on-line store doesn't have it as an ordering option.

Ian Franks
05-18-2011, 1:58 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone I will see if this rings some bells with the suppliers

Ian Franks
05-24-2011, 7:20 AM
Has anyone cut a polyproplene sheet. I am getting samples on Priplak and is TCF (Total Chlorine Free). So will report back when tests are done.

John Noell
05-24-2011, 6:41 PM
Living on an island in the middle of the Pacific, we improvise. For stencils we use old x-ray films. They cut beautifully and are nice and stiff. Now my neighbor has expanded her tiny digital photo and typing business by doing custom t-shirts with the stencils I cut and my airbrush.

Andrea Weissenseel
05-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Ian, Priplak is a great material and I ran y couple of tests with it - unfortunately I could not get any good results with my laser. It cuts but it remelts :( I'm curious about your results

Dan Hintz
05-25-2011, 5:59 AM
It cuts but it remelts
Did you use air assist? You need to blow any remelt out of the kerf...

Ian Franks
05-25-2011, 8:42 AM
Ian, Priplak is a great material and I ran y couple of tests with it - unfortunately I could not get any good results with my laser. It cuts but it remelts :( I'm curious about your results
Andrea,
My results are the same, it won't burn through. The material was 0.8mm and speed was 200mm and power 100%. I use a 50w chinese laser. I will see if I can get a thinner sheet. But will have to keep looking. My air assist is on all the time.