PDA

View Full Version : Maple Lidded Box

Tim Thiebaut
05-17-2011, 7:54 AM
This is one of those pieces that I feel kind of so-so about. It came out ok, but think I could have done better with it. But it is what it is, maple box with Ebony knob....loved turning the ebony. This is a piece of sugar maple that my Uncle sent me from my familys farm in Maine, my grandfather planted these trees 60+ years ago and tapped them for sap every year, it has a completely different texture then the other maple that I have turned...it was kind of stringy and feathery when turning...kind of threw me off a little I think. Anyway, it came out ok, its going to my daughter to keep nick nacks in.

Joe Bradshaw
05-17-2011, 8:58 AM
Tim, that is one sweet little box. How about some dims? I am sure that your daughter will love it.

John Hart
05-17-2011, 9:05 AM
Cool Box Tim! Almost doesn't look like maple either. Are you sure your uncle didn't slip in a piece of willow while you weren't looking? :)

Steve Schlumpf
05-17-2011, 9:16 AM
Nice work on the lidded box Tim! Good proportions and I like how you can align the grain between lid and box. Also - the ebony knob looks great! Your daughter will the box and the history behind it!

Jim Burr
05-17-2011, 9:49 AM
Very well done Tim, those sure are fun!

Lori Kleinberg
05-17-2011, 9:55 AM
Very nicely done Tim. Thanks for sharing.

Scott Hackler
05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Looks good Tim.

Keith E Byrd
05-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Nice job Tim - you daughter will love it!

John Keeton
05-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Tim, great history behind this one - the making of a family heirloom. Very well done, and the ebony is a nice touch.

Tim Thiebaut
05-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Cool Box Tim! Almost doesn't look like maple either. Are you sure your uncle didn't slip in a piece of willow while you weren't looking? :)

Oh shoot you know I forgot to write this...the box is roughly "4x"4...and I used a couple coats of BLO first to give it some color, then may coats of WOP on top of that. I was experimenting a little bit here. And thank you all for the kind words!

Baxter Smith
05-17-2011, 2:20 PM
Nice box, good story, great keepsake! My grandfather and uncles tapped trees on their farm in Hope. Where was this one from Tim?

Tim Thiebaut
05-17-2011, 2:47 PM
Nice box, good story, great keepsake! My grandfather and uncles tapped trees on their farm in Hope. Where was this one from Tim?

My family is from the Springvale/Sanford area, Just west of Old Orchard Beach a few miles.

Baxter Smith
05-17-2011, 5:01 PM
My family is from the Springvale/Sanford area, Just west of Old Orchard Beach a few miles.

Thanks Tim. Interesting! There are 8 White Pine and 4 American elm planted along my driveway that came from a field less than 20 miles from there. (My other grandparents lived just outside Hollis Center) They are 40-50 ft tall now. They were a bit smaller when I brought them down here in my VW rabbit in 1984. The pine for the paneling and cabinets in my living room were cut in that area then sawn at the mill at Bear Hill in Hollis.

Tim Thiebaut
05-17-2011, 6:28 PM
Thanks Tim. Interesting! There are 8 White Pine and 4 American elm planted along my driveway that came from a field less than 20 miles from there. (My other grandparents lived just outside Hollis Center) They are 40-50 ft tall now. They were a bit smaller when I brought them down here in my VW rabbit in 1984. The pine for the paneling and cabinets in my living room were cut in that area then sawn at the mill at Bear Hill in Hollis.

My brothers and I would climb these trees when we were kids...they are still massive in size..although showing there wear more and more every year...and as close to the road as they are the salt they spread on the road every winter is really hurting them more then anything else. I have pictures of these trees...they line the road the entire length of the farm...with taps in them, I wish I had these photos digital. My Uncle has a few more trees he is going to bring down this summer, I know that at least one of them is walnut, and one is cherry...some of that wood is coming my way as well...cant wait to move back there full time.