PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Rikon home

RichMagnone
02-06-2005, 1:21 PM
I am considering the big Rikon from Woodcraft. Anyone have experience with getting that beast home? How is it packaged? I have a jeep liberty which, unfortunately has a back gate that swings out instead of up, so I may have to use the ol' 19.95 home depot truck rental.

Greg Heppeard
02-06-2005, 2:10 PM
Which Rikon are you getting? The 14" should fit in your Jeep. The 18" is going to require something larger. It's packaged in a plywood crate that measures about 6" larger than the saw.

John Bush
02-06-2005, 3:26 PM
Hi Rich,
Congrats on the new BS. You will be pleased with your choice.
My 18 was, luckily, delivered to my shop,per instructions, when I was gone. It was packaged in a heavy cardboard box , bolted to a plywood platform. I have a small hoist so I was able to use the lifting eye on top to elevate enough to get the mobile base beneath it. After that exercise, I would recommend keeping the machine upright if you can. It's a beastly thing and the risk of dinging something would be a concern. If they are crating them in plywood now that may not be such a big deal. Renting/borrowing a trailer would be an advantage due to the lower height or I'm sure a buddy with a pick-up would love to help. I ordered mine thru Cyberwoodworking before Woodcraft began selling them, and delivery was included(and no sales tax too). good luck, John.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-06-2005, 4:59 PM
As john said, the better option may be a trailer from u-haul. Not any more expensive and you will love that you have the lower deck! That is a lot of machine to be lifting into one of the HD trucks.

James Biddle
02-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm planning on buying the 18" also. They told me at the Woodcraft nearby that it could be strapped down on its spine, but the packing said "upright only" all over it. Regardless, the pallet isn't much bigger than the base, so plan on strapping it down well enough that the 350+ pounds doesn't end up sitting next to you at the first stoplight.

Norman Hitt
02-07-2005, 1:23 AM
I'm planning on buying the 18" also. They told me at the Woodcraft nearby that it could be strapped down on its spine, but the packing said "upright only" all over it. Regardless, the pallet isn't much bigger than the base, so plan on strapping it down well enough that the 350+ pounds doesn't end up sitting next to you at the first stoplight.

James, I "suspect" that the reason it is placarded as "Upright Only", is for the Shipping/Trucking Co's., because they would be using a Forklift to load and unload, and probably the crating in a horizontal position would not survive that, like the pallet under the bottom would, and also they would probably be afraid that it might not be handled gently in the laying down process. I can't think of any reason that it could not be transported laying on it's spine, as that should be the strongest part of the saw.

Aaron Heck
02-07-2005, 8:23 AM
I hauled my MM16 home in the back of my 4Runner, laying on it's back, with the back trunk door open. No harm done after the hour + drive. We just used a long, narrow piece of plywood (as sort of a see-saw) and lifted the saw right in and out of the truck.

Greg Heppeard
02-07-2005, 8:57 AM
James, I "suspect" that the reason it is placarded as "Upright Only", is for the Shipping/Trucking Co's., because they would be using a Forklift to load and unload, and probably the crating in a horizontal position would not survive that, like the pallet under the bottom would, and also they would probably be afraid that it might not be handled gently in the laying down process. I can't think of any reason that it could not be transported laying on it's spine, as that should be the strongest part of the saw.

You're right (I think). The plywood crate is pretty thin. The base is the strongest part. We've laid the Jet 16 & 18 on thier spine with no problems for short hauls. I'm sure the Rikon would make a trip like this in a pick up or trailer with no problem at all. The spine of the Rikon is slightly heavier than the Jet.

Michael Gabbay
02-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I bought the Bridgewood 17" over the summer. I drove up to York PA in our Volvo wagon and they slid it into the back on it's side. I drove home with the tailgate open. The crate is about 6' 6" long and almost 3' wide. I think the Rikon is crated the same way. It is padded with some styro foam on the side and back so you can move it either way.

The Uhaul trailer is a better way to go. They usually run about $20 a day with no mileage charge.

It will definately require at least 2 people to move it on a appliance dolly but it pretty easy to do, just back breaking!

Mike