PDA

View Full Version : "Vase Base"

Jerry Lawrence
05-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Yesterday I posted pictures of a couple wooden stems I turned as experimental bases for discarded solar landscape lamps. They reminded me of wine glasses, so I showed them to a friend of mine who is an extremely talented glassblower and artist, with the thought of getting his ideas for a collaberative effort of some sort. He had some items which had minor breaks or problems, including a small vase which had the pedestal base broken off. He pulled that one out and said 'see what you can do with this'. I came up with a 'first draft', he gave me some suggestions, and here's what I ended up with (yes, turned on the fixed tool metal lathe). Those of you who saw my wooden stems post may notice that I cheated, by using the base of the tall lamp stem as the base for this vase. For more examples of unparalleled glass work, search out 'Sherwin Art Glass' (Admin..if that reference breaks posting rules, feel free to edit).
Of course comments and critiques greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Tim Thiebaut
05-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Wow I am still just amazed you are doing this on a metal lathe! I really like the style of the base, looks very nice...the one thing I could say is I think it is to wide for that piece, I think if it was say 3/4 of the size it is now it would look better. Now I am very new at this so I could be completely off base here, it just seems to over powering that size.

John Keeton
05-17-2011, 6:35 AM
Jerry, while I do agree with Tim on the width of the base, the style you used is great, and you carried the flow of the piece at the transition point very well. You need to get a wood lathe!!! It will change your life! You have the talent and having a wood lathe would open new horizons for you.

John Hart
05-17-2011, 6:43 AM
Excellent!! Mixed media provides lots of interest by the people that pick things up and examine them. For some reason, people are drawn to "how'd he do dat?" Nicely done. Get a wood lathe. :)

Donny Lawson
05-17-2011, 6:48 AM
Nice,and I agree with the others,if you can do this on a metal lathe just think of the possibilities of what a wood lathe would do for you.

Jim Burr
05-17-2011, 10:03 AM
I kinda like the width of the base with the vase on it...It has a very nice flowfrom top to bottom. And all this with a hand crank? I'm fel the need to stop complaining about my work space.

Baxter Smith
05-17-2011, 2:21 PM
Pretty wood with a great flow from top to bottom. Nice collaboration!

Jamie Donaldson
05-17-2011, 2:43 PM
The last image of the 2 pieces mounted together shows severe optical distortion because a wide angle focal length was used very close to the piece to capture the image. Barrel distortion like this doesn't give an accurate representation of proportions, so it's better to back away and zoom in with a longer focal length setting to reduce distortion.

Jerry Lawrence
05-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks again to all for the feedback and advice. I went ahead and made a smaller base and I have to agree, I did like it better. However, Chris (the glassblower) preferred the larger one, so that's the one I made permanent..go figure!
Jamie, thanks for the tips on better photography. You're right, I think that pic did kind of give a 'fishbowl' effect. If I'm going to get sucked into this vortex further, I may have to go back and review some of those photography posts on here!