PDA

View Full Version : Barracuda 500 micro chuck??

Les Kuesel
05-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm looking at picking up another chuck (I have a nova G3)and was looking at the keyed PSI barracuda 500 micro for the use of smaller type turnings like bird house's, ornaments and game calls. I like the ideal of the alligator jaws that can fit into 5/8 hole or larger. Any pros or cons on this chuck or any other recommendations?

Kerry Burton
05-17-2011, 5:25 AM
I bought two of these chucks (via Amazon) recently, but it wasn't until tonight that I finally unboxed one and chucked something up in it.

The first thing I did was to DROP the chuck on concrete as I was pulling it out of its little bag. Aside from a few light scratches on the chuck body ... no damage. I thought for sure that one or more of the pre-mounted jaws would get chipped or broken. Whew!

I obviously don't have a lot of time on the chuck yet, but I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy it on my Delta Midi lathe. I should have "taken the plunge" years ago. I've been using Oneway Talons (excellent chucks) for everything, but since I tend to turn small items I really like the smaller form factor.

Fit and finish is very nice. I wish the key system were a little more "precision" and "positive" like the Oneways, but it seems to work fine.

I'm currently working on a spindle piece with caps on each end (don't want to give it away yet) ... and I predict that I'll be unboxing the second chuck to help with reverse mountings, etc before I'm done.

Tom Wilson66
05-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I got the lever operated one a few years ago and use it quite a bit for small turnings. Don't know how the key operated one is, but I really like the one I have. Holds quite well, and operates smoothly. May not be as "tight" as the other chucks, but it gets the job done on small turnings.