PDA

View Full Version : Safety message on BLO.

Dave Lehnert
05-16-2011, 8:08 PM
A good safety reminder for BLO.

Something tells me I should stock up after this story.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/i-team%3A-linseed-oil-can-catch-fire-all-by-itself

Steve Schoene
05-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Don't read the end of the story. The person whose garage burned says no more linseed oil for here next times she will use polyurethane. But, rags soak with polyurethane varnish will also spontaneously combust, as will rags with oil/varnish mixes, or non-polyurethane varnishes. Any product that cures with an exothermic reaction could have the problem. Non-drying oils, such as motor oil, or mineral oil, doesn't have the risk of spontaneous combustion.

My favorite approach. Spread the rags or paper towel one layer thick on a non-combustable surface. When they have fully cured they can be discarded in the regular trash.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-16-2011, 11:27 PM
In the winter, I hang my rags over the rungs on a metal ladder in my shop until dry.

In the summer, I hang them on a chain link fence gate until dry. In both cases, after they are fully cured/dry, I dispose of them in the trash.

Rich Engelhardt
05-17-2011, 4:10 AM
There's danger from not only the rags, but, from the dust caused by sanding a poly or varnish.

There's a good writeup on hammerzone.com about it.

Bruce W. Maki wrote of his near disaster.
IMHO - it should be required reading.

Steven Hsieh
05-17-2011, 8:09 PM
There should be directions front label how to dispose them.

glenn bradley
05-17-2011, 8:37 PM
This is avoided by following very easy safety procedures when using these products. I often wonder why people will read the back of a cereal carton, but not the label on a hazardous product(?).

Steve Schoene
05-17-2011, 9:12 PM
On my can of linseed oil are warnings of the risk of spontaneous combustion on the front (in two lanquages), and on the back are detailed instructions in the first paragraph.

John Coloccia
05-17-2011, 10:25 PM
That's it. No more garages for me.