PDA

View Full Version : OK time for a what I have been working on post

Andrew Gibson
05-16-2011, 8:04 PM
So I recently finished up a dining room set and I had the pleasure of delivering it this weekend to a very happy customer that now wants a bedroom set... So I guess I did a good job. The table is mostly neander built and the chairs also have quite a bit of hand work in them though I think I would have been crazy not to use my new bandsaw on this project.

Also any of you that stumble into the instrument makers forum may have seen my latest endeavor. A ukulele.

Here are a couple pics.

Jonathan McCullough
05-16-2011, 8:24 PM
I like the design of the dining room set, especially the chairs. Is it Shaker? Understated but ergonomic and obviously requiring skill. The slight arch of the back looks elegant and comfortable. Did you use an inshave for the seats?

Andrew Gibson
05-16-2011, 8:58 PM
I would say the overall design of the dining set is shaker inspired. A lot of my work has shaker influence. I tent to like relatively clean lines and simplicity. I used an inshave and a scraper on the seats, they are smooth but are unmistakably hand made... everyone that sat in one of the chairs has said wow these are comfortable... It doesn't matter if a chair looks good, if it's uncomfortable it's basically useless. There is about 5 minutes worth of sanding in the intire set... 99% of everything was surfaced with either a hand plane or a scraper.

Andrew Hughes
05-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Very nice set .Great looking cherry too.

Jim Neeley
05-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Looks good, Andrew..

Johnny Kleso
05-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Very Nice..........

Jim Koepke
05-17-2011, 1:19 AM
The dining set looks terrific.

The ukulele also looks nice. Every time I hear or see the word ukulele it reminds me of one of my favorite tunes.

If you go to Youtube and search on ukulele lady you will find many renditions of the tune.

My favorite, by Jim Kweskin and the Jug Band, isn't there.

Here is one by Kermit the Frog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFOvN5FEhsw

jtk

Pam Niedermayer
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
..."ukulele lady"

Very nice dining room set, Andrew.

Jim, I love this song, too, especially Arlo Guthrie's version.

Pam

Federico Mena Quintero
05-17-2011, 1:28 PM
Very handsome set! It will get a lovely patina over time.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind, how long did it take you to build this?

john brenton
05-17-2011, 1:36 PM
You can't beat the look of a trestle table. If I hadn't bought my very boring dinner table from IKEA on super double sale I would make a trestle table. I sure would like to see that tusked tenon hiding behind there.

Andrew Gibson
05-17-2011, 4:52 PM
Federico, the set took a total of 8 weeks, however that includes a week in Myrtle Beach, and at least another week of down time waiting for this and that... If I were to jump in right now and start on another I believe I would have it done in 5 weeks, and maybe 4 if I stayed focused.

John, hopefully this pic gives you a better look at the table, though this is pre finish...

Klaus Kretschmar
05-17-2011, 5:39 PM
My sincere compliments, Andrew! The dining room set looks fantastic. Very nice job!

Klaus

Harlan Barnhart
05-17-2011, 7:26 PM
Very nice Andrew. I particularly admire the table. It has a presence. It also looks extremely durable. Excellent use of a tree.

john brenton
05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
That's sweet man, congratulations, especially on the chairs. I still struggle with chairs.

What's all that machiney looking stuff in the background?:rolleyes:

Federico, the set took a total of 8 weeks, however that includes a week in Myrtle Beach, and at least another week of down time waiting for this and that... If I were to jump in right now and start on another I believe I would have it done in 5 weeks, and maybe 4 if I stayed focused.

John, hopefully this pic gives you a better look at the table, though this is pre finish...