PDA

View Full Version : Auric Vessel

Matt Hutchinson
05-16-2011, 7:13 PM
Here's a piece I completed Sunday, something that's quite new to me in both form and technique required. This is my first attempt at gilding, and I learned a lot. I originally had planned on using regular leaf on the surfaces, but I like the look of the gold flake quite a bit.

I had to "settle" in a few areas (mainly the finish) cuz I was limited by a deadline, but I am quite pleased with the result. Plus, working with a piece of kiln dried wood allowed me to complete this piece within a few days. No drying of wet blanks and such. I think I like it. :D

Auric Vessel
5.75"x5.75"x16"
African Mahogany, African Blackwood, Metal Leaf

John Keeton
05-16-2011, 7:25 PM
Matt, when you posted your other thread, you gave us a sneak peek of this one!! I wondered when we would see the finished product.

This is quite an interesting piece, with a very "comfortable" feel to it. It is balanced and draws one's eye in to the object. When I first looked at it, I thought perhaps it needed some contrast in the body, but the more I look, the less I think that. The blackwood is a striking addition, and adds a lot to the overall look. Very unique!!

Is it hollowed? The throat appears to be recessed and I am curious as to whether the inside of the throat is painted or is the blackwood an "insert"?

Matt Hutchinson
05-16-2011, 7:39 PM
Thanks John!

I drilled the piece with a 1.5" forstner rather than attempting to hollow it. It may be drilled as deep as 9". I felt hollowing via turning was not really worth the effort, especially since the mouth was going to be quite small, but I wanted it to be able to function as a dry vase if desired. From a top view, you can see the mahogany on the inside. The Blackwood is only inset by about 1/8 of an inch using a tenon. The angle at which I took the photo must have been just barely low enough to not reveal the lighter mahogany on the inside.

Hutch

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2011, 8:28 PM
Very interesting design Matt! Really like the colors - especially the textured gold! Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

philip labre
05-16-2011, 9:17 PM
I really like this piece, Matt. The colors and textures with the style all work great for my eye. Can't wait to get home and see a larger pic than on my phone.

Michael James
05-16-2011, 10:56 PM
That's quite unique and I like it. Very nice piece - thanks for posting!
mj

David E Keller
05-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Very cool... I've come back to this piece several times, and it's really interesting. My first reaction was that I didn't care for it, but something about it kept me coming back. After I studied it a bit more, I'm finding that I really like it. There's something very balanced about the piece which I like. Nicely done, and a nice departure from the norm.

Curt Fuller
05-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Wow, very interesting form and very beautiful.

Scott Hackler
05-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Very art deco-esk, Matt. I like the different stylings with this one. Visually it is very interesting and the vertical flow blends well with the inset curves. Great job.

Matt Hutchinson
05-17-2011, 6:21 AM
Thanks all!

I just found out this morning that this piece didn't make the juried show. Bummer. I could have entered up to 3 pieces, and I guess now I know to take 3 pieces next year to increase my odds. I didn't feel like entering something that was traditional, but I think that's kinda what they were looking for.

EDIT: A fellow woodturner's gilded piece didn't get in either. I think there was a little too much gilding among the 3D entries. We have a local metal artist that is nationally recognized (he is represented by some of the big name galleries such as Del Mano, etc.) and his pieces are gilded on the inside. With his reputation, it's not surprising that all 3 of his entries were accepted. Whatever the reasons for not getting in, our woodturning guild will have a booth during the festival. Maybe it will sell anyway. :D

John Keeton
05-17-2011, 6:38 AM
Matt, I think you will find that most jury panels are looking for a certain "flavor" in the art to fit the show, or the gallery. Don't be disappointed. It might be good next time to do a little background work to find out about the jury composition if you can, or at least the style of work in the gallery or show. In the right setting, I am sure this piece would have made the cut.

John Hart
05-17-2011, 6:48 AM
You were doing something for the first time....and working against a deadline.:eek:

Sheesh...for me, that means little pieces of wooden shrapnel all over the shop!! At least you still have a nice finished piece. :)

Baxter Smith
05-17-2011, 2:26 PM
Since this is about the 4th time I have looked at this it must be growing on me! Good luck with your next show!