PDA

View Full Version : Tool Buying Part II

Ron Robinson
02-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I've been reading the Trends in Tool Buying thread and have found it to be very informative. While reading it I was wondering "how" everyone goes through the process of tool buying. I ask this because with me the process is usually excruciating. I tend to over analyze and research tool purchases and in the process drive myself crazy. I've been looking at bandsaws for three months and can't seem to pull the trigger. I compare features and end up mired in details while loosing sight of the big picture, which in this case is how do I really see myself using the saw. Am I alone or do others share my plight?

Just curious,

Ron Robinson

Mark Valsi
02-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I usually ponder the move, do it, then have some guilt/remorse !!

but it fades with time, and I'm then happy !

Tyler Howell
02-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Ron
Picking out my Cab saw was a nightmare. $$/quality was a constant internal debate.
After some bad burns on borg and Cman products, the pendulum has swung all the way over to high buck, high powered tools. A lot more research, field testing, quality over quantity decisions are being made.

Greg Mann
02-06-2005, 12:47 PM
When it comes to buying decisions there are so many variables that can influence you final choice. For example, I bought an M12v for my router table because I love the quick release of its collet. Mind you, everything I know about collet design would seem to indicate that the collet itself is a compromise in accuracy and holding power but that has not proven to be an issue. Maybe I don't know so much after all. The point is, that one feature informed my decision. OTOH, I also love the ergonomics and refinements of the Festool routers for handheld work. Their collet design is on par for holding power with the best metalworking designs, but not quick releasing. That does not bother me in a handheld. In the end, we are balancing plusses and minuses and then we hope we are right.

Frank Pellow
02-06-2005, 12:54 PM
(1) Research

(2) Research

(3) Research

(4) Search for the best deal

(5) Wait at least a month

(6) Either buy it, forget it, or start over again at (1)

RichMagnone
02-06-2005, 1:26 PM
As time goes by in this hooby, I have found that getting the cheaper model, even if it is a confirmed "best buy" does not make sense. I can't fathom the money I have blown by starting in this hobby with a benchtop saw and then upgrading to a contractor saw and now, I am contemplating the move up to a cabinet. Similarly, I just made arrangements to get rid of my 1019Z Griz bandsaw in favor of something bigger and better (Rikon, Jet, Mini, Lag). Similar regrets could include a CMS instead of the SCMS, etc. It seems to me that you get what you pay for. There are notable exceptions and smart buying might still dictate a low cost option (such as the Grizz cabinet saw), however, if you want to be a "serious" hobbyist, it seems that Harbor Freight and Taiwan do not get the job done. It seems to me that the real trend is that home users want to be equiped like pros.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-06-2005, 2:12 PM
I am the same way that you are... I research and research, but once I make a decision, I jump on it! I know that if I don't, I will research some more :) The biggest thing is not to research after you have paid for the tool, no sense in knowing if you could have gotten a better deal elsewhere.

Fred Chan
02-06-2005, 2:15 PM
I find buying tools real easy.:D I just buy the one that looks and feels the best in my hands. The hard part is wondering all next week whether you picked the right model or not.:p :)

Jim Becker
02-06-2005, 2:17 PM
I do my research but don't usually make for a "waiting period" like Frank mentions unless it's for financial reasons. I like to make up my mind and just move forward, as Jeff does. Keeping aware of "what's out there" does help speed up the research part and SMC and other online resources are a wonderful help in that respect.

I think that only my original Festool purchases "waited around" to happen and that wasn't because I didn't want them; rather, it was because there were some other priorities I needed to deal with first.

Steven Wilson
02-06-2005, 2:32 PM
I look at the best and then move down the ladder until I find a comfortable price point

Jerry Olexa
02-06-2005, 3:23 PM
I do it the same way: research, WW mags, etc but in the final analysis, if I still have concerns, I go to my forum (SMC) and ask the experts. I trust that (your) input more the others. Then I can set in cement and go buy....

Mark Singer
02-06-2005, 3:38 PM
I usually get the idea when I am building something that it might be easier if I had a .......! Like my recent bed with the curved back made me want a Rotex....at that very instant Bob Marino must have been reading my mind , he sent me an email about the new RO 125...and I just recieved it. If I need a push I just ask Jim Becker or Gene Collison ,or Alan Turner, that is what I do....have your C card handy....they always have great ideas. ;) I never feel guilty, because whatever I buy seems to get used and enjoyed and quality stuff always retains value. I could calculate how much my friends at SMC have encouraged me to spend....I would rather leave it a mystery and just keep enjoying the craft and learning

John Bailey
02-06-2005, 4:09 PM
I love the research part of buying. I'm a certified sea kayak instructor. It took me 3 years to buy my first boat. But I could see the aft 3 in. of a kayak a half a block away and be able to tell my kids what it was. I'm in that process right now with bandsaw shopping. If I buy quickly, I'll loose the fun of the research. I like being able to tell the salesman "I know it's an 18 in. bandsaw, but the wheel is actually 17.25 in." Just shows the power of the brain when it's engaged in something of interest. Remember knowing all the stats from reading a baseball card when you were a kid. However, I ramble. To answer the question, I research and shop forever, then I forget all the specs and just buy the one that looks and feels the best to me.

John

JayStPeter
02-06-2005, 8:06 PM
For me, it's a constant process. I know what tools I'll eventually want/need, so I keep reading the threads, reviews and catalogs. I look at pretty much everything at the shows and keep a short list fore each in my mind.
To ease your mind a little, bandsaws are exceptionally difficult. My "short list" was pretty darn long.

Jay

Gary Max
02-06-2005, 8:18 PM
Made my big bandsaw purchase 18 months ago--I spent a year looking--reading- watching. Finally broke down and bought one. Biggest buying mistake I ever made.
I now tell folks-- try and buy from someone close--with-in a couple hundred miles.
That way you can take it back and they do not get smart with you on the phone.
Just my Little thought.

Karl Laustrup
02-07-2005, 5:02 AM
I tend to research forever, especially on the major purchases. Took me over 9 months before I pulled the trigger on my BS. Didn't take me that long for my DC, because once I started looking at the numbers the choice was clear.

Now, I'm standing on the edge of the slippery slope and researching those tools that make the hair on the knuckles grow long and wild and the hands drag the ground as we walk. The one nice thing is I can get help from everyone here. I just don't know what kind of help that will be. :D

Is there ever an end to this? Do we really want it to end? ;) I think not!

Mark Singer
02-07-2005, 8:08 AM
As a progressing woodworker ,it is difficult to select the ultimate machine or tool that you want to end up with. Your skill and comitment to woodworking increases and so does your need (lust) for something better, I have changed every machine in my shop at once and some items as many as 5 times. I have changed tablesaws 4 times, bandsaws 5 times, jointers 3 times Drum sanders twice, etc. I now feel that each machine is adequate and I just enjoy using them and really never think about upgrading....the set of equipment is well matched to my ability and the kind of things I like to build ...also the methods I typically chose. I could never imagined spending $2500 on a bandsaw when I started! When I finally did it, it wasn't that difficult....I did a lot of research, SMC was not in exsistence...I placed a call to Mark Duginske and he was helpful in finalizing my thoughts. I think building a shop is an on going process.