PDA

View Full Version : More tire repair

Walter Plummer
05-16-2011, 7:05 PM
I did not want to hijack Phil's thread. About three years ago I purchased a set of tires for my truck from the national chain that is in walking distance from my house. I got the road hazard warranty. I had a flat tire one morning. Put some air in with the compressor and took it up. First one there, nothing in any bay, gotta leave it. OK, walk home and wait. About lunch time I get a call. Not that it is repaired, but they recommend a fuel injection cleaning and a new battery. Nothing I asked them to look at. No the tire is not repaired yet. Around three I went up and got it back. they did repair it for free and it has never given me any more trouble but, 8 hours? Customer service?

Bryan Morgan
05-16-2011, 10:50 PM
I did not want to hijack Phil's thread. About three years ago I purchased a set of tires for my truck from the national chain that is in walking distance from my house. I got the road hazard warranty. I had a flat tire one morning. Put some air in with the compressor and took it up. First one there, nothing in any bay, gotta leave it. OK, walk home and wait. About lunch time I get a call. Not that it is repaired, but they recommend a fuel injection cleaning and a new battery. Nothing I asked them to look at. No the tire is not repaired yet. Around three I went up and got it back. they did repair it for free and it has never given me any more trouble but, 8 hours? Customer service?

I've had that too when buying tires... they always try and tell me about all the extra junk like wipers and whatnot (I do pretty much all repairs/maintenence except tires on my car). That amount of time is not unexpected for them working for "free"... yeah, you paid for the extra warranty but if they have a lot full of "paying" customers it wouldn't make sense for them to waste time fixing your tires. I don't agree with that but I understand why they do it. You can add that to the "peeves" thread going on... :)

Pat Germain
05-17-2011, 3:20 PM
Alternately, I've been buying tires at Discount Tire for about ten years. I've had a few punctures. Whenever I show up and ask for a repair, they do their best to get me in as soon as possible. And the place is always busy. They only sell tires, balance tires and rotate tires. So, when I bring my vehicle in for a tire repair, they will balance and rotate as well; all for free and no pressure to buy anything else.

I've even brought in tires I didn't buy at Discount tire. They fix them and say, "No charge. Thanks for being a good customer". My daughter bought a late model Toyota last year, then moved to Seattle. I told her she should get her tires rotated. Out of habit, she took her car to a local Discount Tire. They rotated her tires for free. Imagine that. :eek:

Ken Garlock
05-17-2011, 5:16 PM
+1 for Discount Tire. I have been using them every since we move to Texas back in 1979. They carry major brands plus some others. They do tires and only tires. No BS, just a fix for your problem or the tell you why it can't be fixed.

Chuck Wintle
05-17-2011, 5:49 PM
I look for a small garage that is not part of a chain. Usually the owner is more honest that the chain stores.

Pat Germain
05-17-2011, 5:53 PM
I look for a small garage that is not part of a chain. Usually the owner is more honest that the chain stores.

Small garages are great for personal, honest service. However, they often can't support warranties out of town and have limited hours. I like to support them, but I just can't do so if they're open only 8-5 Monday through Friday.