PDA

View Full Version : Computer Game Backup Disc?

Matt Meiser
05-16-2011, 6:00 PM
My daughter got the game Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 over the weekend. We discovered that you have to have the CD in the drive to play I burned a copy of the CD so I could file the original away for safe keeping. The game knows the one I gave her is a copy and won't run. Anyone know of a legal way around this?

One option I thought of would be to try using Virtual CloneDrive to mount an ISO image. I'm guessing there no what that will work unless I uninstall and reinstall since the drive letter will be different, and even then might run into the same issue?

Chuck Wintle
05-16-2011, 6:36 PM
I think burning a backup disk is Legal inmost states...its only a problem if you plan to sell or distribute it. Any good cloning program should be able to make a perfect copy of this disk.

Dan Hintz
05-16-2011, 7:12 PM
Matt,

The different drive letter will likely be an issue, but a good mounting program will allow you to select the drive letter to mount an image as. If your physical drive is an impediment to snatching the drive letter, force Windows to use another drive letter for it.

All that said, is it really that big of a deal to uninstall the game an reinstall using the image? Probably save you a lot of problems in the future.

Jim Becker
05-16-2011, 7:21 PM
The ISO image is a possibility, but that depends upon whether or not the DRM being used will allow you to create one.

Matt Meiser
05-16-2011, 7:59 PM
Yes, I was able to create an ISO, but when I burned the ISO to a new disc, the game rejected it with a message that you had to have the original disc.

Darius Ferlas
05-16-2011, 8:05 PM
The ISO image is a possibility, but that depends upon whether or not the DRM being used will allow you to create one.
Use Linux.

Matt Meiser
05-16-2011, 10:30 PM
How does that help? Do they make Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 for Linux?

Bryan Morgan
05-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Daemon Tools... Mount your ISO and give it a try. You can also try gamecopyworld or megagames...

Darius Ferlas
05-16-2011, 10:56 PM
How does that help?
if your discs have DRM, under Linux it will be immaterial and you will be able to make copies.
Since you already have Windows, check other suggestions first. If they don't work, find someone with a Linux box.
Some starter info (http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-11.04-natty-narwhal-with-ubuntu-classic) on a popular Linux distribution.

Neal Clayton
05-17-2011, 2:58 PM
no cd crack on gamecopyworld is the way everyone else has been getting around that for years.

Greg Portland
05-17-2011, 3:28 PM
Modern copy protection schemes are not going to be fooled by ISO images & drive mounting tricks. I have had discs fail before and a call to the company resolved the issue (usually involved shipping the original copy, etc.).

Bryan Morgan
05-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Modern copy protection schemes are not going to be fooled by ISO images & drive mounting tricks. I have had discs fail before and a call to the company resolved the issue (usually involved shipping the original copy, etc.).

I'm not going to condone or suggest anything but I will say that we have no problems at our LAN parties making sure everyone can play......