PDA

View Full Version : Another Odditie

Mike Olson
05-16-2011, 4:13 PM
I went to an estate sale last week and came across a couple items in the 25 cent a piece box.

One was an extension for a Brace which i snatched up as soon as I figured out it's purpose. The other one I picked up purely because it was obviously intended to be used in a brace but i'm not sure for what.

My only thought is for leather work since the sliding parts are basically knife edges and since they slide independently it would be near impossible to line them up to cut in the same path. So i was thinking maybe something to cut out multiple circles in leather?

There are no maker or model marks on it. Anyone have any idea?
The pictures are of the device chucked into the Brace extension.

george wilson
05-16-2011, 4:53 PM
A gasket cutter?

Johnny Kleso
05-16-2011, 5:07 PM
Looks like a Gasket Cutter

Jim Koepke
05-16-2011, 7:16 PM
One cuts the outer diameter and the other cuts the inner diameter of a leather gasket.

So, another vote for gasket cutter.

jtk

James Taglienti
05-17-2011, 8:23 AM
I think its called a leather washer cutter. Also could be used for gaskets i suppose. Any time you see a rubber washer on something its safe to say that 75 or 100 years ago, we were using leather washers in the same place.

Mike Olson
05-17-2011, 8:35 AM
I guess we all agree that it's for cutting washers from leather.
this will be going into a drawer for a while until i can find a use for cutting my own washers.

Thanks for everyones input.
Mike

Nixon Roger
05-17-2011, 9:15 AM
Leather tips for chisel handles.

Jim Koepke
05-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I use one on my lathe when turning with a chuck. That way it is not as likely to get stuck on the shaft.

jtk