PDA

View Full Version : Cad Files

Keith Outten
04-16-2003, 5:59 PM
I have collected a lot of CAD files, most are woodworking projects that I have found on the Internet and all are royalty free.

Is anyone interested in having these files posted here at SMC?

I also have a collection of Corel Draw 10 files I use for engraving but many of these files could be beneficial to other wooworkers, how many of you have Corel Draw or a program that can open a .cdr file?

I would be glad to share these files if there is interest. Ray has setup a special directory on the SMC drive so Administrators can upload files, a simple html page as an index and we would have a listing of files for download.

Does anyone else have files they would like to offer?

Remember we cannot host any files with a copyright.

Ray Thompson
04-16-2003, 6:59 PM
I think it would be a great idea to have a CAD file download area. It would be a great way to share plans and sketches. We would have to work on the file formats so everyone could share equally.

Ray

Steve Clardy
04-16-2003, 7:43 PM
that would be great.

Steve

Bruce Page
04-16-2003, 8:38 PM
I think that would be a great idea Keith. I have a few that I would share.
Most if not all CAD programs can open the dxf format.

The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them. -- Robert Frost

Jim Young
04-16-2003, 9:50 PM
I would be interested in takiing/adding AutoCAD files. If I do add some I will have to go back and clean them up.

Tom Sweeney
04-16-2003, 11:00 PM
I don't have any of my own yet but would be glad to share them when I do. For now I just do design exercises in a regular graphics program like this. I haven't had the time to play around with CAD - but definately plan on it.

Bob Lasley
04-17-2003, 9:01 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me.

Bob

Jay Kilpatrick
04-17-2003, 12:13 PM
to enter the CAD game. I'd downloaded a 2D freebie a while ago and got frustrated. Probably because I didn't have a good manual, had zero background, and didn't have a ready outlet to get answers in an expedient way. So, what sayeth the collective knowlege?

~Jay...who's cleaned the Poulan and briefly fired it up (Last night I had an irritable wife, a sleeping 2 yr old, and no desire to disturb either!)

Ray Thompson
04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Jay Kilpatrick
to enter the CAD game. I'd downloaded a 2D freebie a while ago and got frustrated. Probably because I didn't have a good manual, had zero background, and didn't have a ready outlet to get answers in an expedient way. So, what sayeth the collective knowlege?

~Jay...who's cleaned the Poulan and briefly fired it up (Last night I had an irritable wife, a sleeping 2 yr old, and no desire to disturb either!)

Jay, Good and Easy is an oxymoron in the CAD game. Most of the 2D programs have some similarity to AutoCad, some kind of generic book on AutoCad should help some. The best thing is to sit down with someone for a couple of hours to get the basics. With your background it wouldn't take long.

Ray

Dave Richards
04-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Jay, I sent you a private message regarding CAD software.

Bruce Page
04-17-2003, 1:15 PM
Jay, Ray is right. Proficiency in any CAD program requires a time investment. I bought a “CAD for Dummies” book 20 yrs ago, use AutoCAD at least weekly and I’m still learning new tricks. Once you can get the basics down it becomes much easier to move to the next level.
You can find TurboCAD 7.0 - Full Version on the web for as little as $25 or AutoCAD’s (i.e., AutoDesk) QuickCAD 8 - Full Version for about $50.

The only really good place to buy lumber is at a store where the lumber has already been cut and attached together in the form of furniture, finished, and put inside boxes. -- Dave Barry

Herb Blair
04-17-2003, 2:08 PM
Great idea Keith!
GO FOR IT!

Jay Goddard
04-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Perhaps the Corel Draw files could be exported to Encapsulated Postscript (.eps) files instead. This graphics format can be read by any of the major illustration packages (Adobe Illustrator, Freehand, etc) and shouldn't lose any details.

David Rose
04-17-2003, 11:32 PM