PDA

View Full Version : Chain saws... culling the herd?

Alan Zenreich
05-16-2011, 1:27 PM
Craigslist is a dangerous place for me.

Over the past year, I've come across a few chainsaw deals that were too good to pass up.

However, it's time to thin out the herd.

For those of you who are familiar with the Stihl line, here's what I've accumulated (in order of acquisition)

Stihl 029 Farm Boss 18" bar 3.8 hp 13lbs mid range grade (don't know age, but in fine condition)
Stihl MS 260 18" bar 3.5 hp 11.5 lbs pro grade (probably 3 years old)
Stihl MSE 140 electric 14" bar 1.4kw (2hp) 7.3 lbs (circa 2004)
Stihl E180 electric 14" bar 1.8kw (2.2hp) 7.7 lbs (circa 1998)

Bars and chains for the two gas saws are interchangeable. Same goes for the two electric saws. I like the idea of keeping an electric around, particularly if Lauren gets to try her hand at the chainsaw. Then again, it's nice to have two of each kind of saw in the event something fails during a cutting session (nice to just put down one saw and pick up another rather than trying to fix them).

Some of these were offers I just could not refuse (e.g., I bought one of the electrics for $25 in "not working condition" and all it needed was a circuit breaker reset!).

So, should I cull the herd? If I do, I'll likely offer one or more of the saws to members of my local woodturning group.

Or should I just sit back, give them some private time in the garage and hope they breed?

Any thoughts?

John Keeton
05-16-2011, 2:30 PM
Alan, most of us have an addiction to turning tools. It just seems your "problem" may be a bit broader than most!:D:rolleyes:;)

Alan Zenreich
05-16-2011, 3:37 PM
John, are you implying that these are not turning tools? The vortex is strong and wide!

Von Bickley
05-16-2011, 3:39 PM
I would keep them....... I probably wouldn't buy anymore for a while.

Alan Zenreich
05-16-2011, 3:39 PM
In case there was any doubt < vbg >

Not my intent for these chainsaws, but quite the dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydDQQQww1AA

David E Keller
05-16-2011, 4:21 PM
Is there a problem in the photo? I don't see anything wrong. I've been thinking that I'm under-equiped when it comes to chainsaws, and your post confirms it.

Frank Kobilsek
05-16-2011, 4:23 PM
Alan,

Take one electric and one of the 18" units to your favorite Stihl dealer. Trade them and probably $200 on a larger saw. I have the 260 with 18" but last year added a 390 with a 25" bar. It is much easier to cut big, better oriented, easier to rough blanks with the big saw. No more cutting from both sides and mis-matching the cut.

Good luck with this decison,

Frank