PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton tips?

Richard Jones
05-16-2011, 10:58 AM
So, being as I was a good boy lately, I treated myself to a KM center saver system. I have been reading on tips, etc., and was wondering if experienced users have any ideas as far as a depth gauge goes. I have something in my mind, just curious about other ideas.

Any tips appreciated, not just for depth.............

Thanks,

Rich (looking forward to not wasting as much wood!!) in VA

Ken Whitney
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I can recommend Reed Gray's DVD on using the McNaughton center saver. Mike Mahoney's DVD on the KM system is good too, although Reed goes a bit more into the "why" of the KM coring system.

You can attach a laser to monitor depth, but I don't find that to be very helpful. Selecting the right blade and proper set up usually takes care of depth problems.

I orbited the first blank I tried to core. After watching Reed's DVD I have not orbited any more blanks, and I have made no funnels either!

Ken

bob svoboda
05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I agree with Ken re Reed's video. It will give you a great start into coring with the McNaughton system.

Reed Gray
05-16-2011, 1:04 PM
Mike has done so many by eye, that he doesn't even have to think about it. I do prefer a laser, even though I have cored several thousand bowls. Main reason I went to a laser is because, quoting another turner, " seems like I am always 2 inches too deep, or 2 inches too shallow."

robo hippy

Bob Bergstrom
05-16-2011, 1:24 PM
Practice, Practice, Practice. Practice, Practice, Practice. Practice, Practice, Practice. Practice, Practice, Practice. Practice, Practice, Practice. Practice, Practice, Practice. Practice, Practice, Practice.
Find some wood from a wood dump, and core a bunch. Biggest tips I can give is keep it sharp and and oil it up before you make the cut. Gotta agree with Reed a laser will help if you are coring a really good blank or a nest of bowls. It is good to work by eye, but not if the blank cost half as much as the laser. Some are using a monster laser because it seems to exhibit less vibration giving a more consistent reading of the thickness

Richard Jones
05-16-2011, 8:25 PM
I managed to core a chunk of walnut this afternoon, wound up with 2 instead of 1, and I don't think I could have gotten 3 out of this blank.

Proper trajectory, cleaning out chips, just a few of the real important things. Oh yeah, make sure you tighten that chuck, and I mean tighten!

All in all, a good experience, thanks for all the help.

Further to the monster laser, which attachments will I need to purchase? Is it just the laser mount or that AND the big rig?

Rich

PS Oh yeah, "spoke" with Reed today, video on the way soon..........

Bob Bergstrom
05-16-2011, 8:53 PM
You'll need the laser system and the special bracket that allows the rig to mount on the coring handle. All are on the monster site. Contact them and they will set you up. Don't know if there is a waiting list on the laser as there is on the hollowing rig.

Reed Gray
05-17-2011, 1:06 AM
I did hear of one person who took the Monster laser system, and tapped the McNaughton handle so they could screw the vertical post directly into the handle.

robo hippy