PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-16-2011, 9:53 AM
16 May 2011

Good Morning,
Well its been crazy around here and getting more chaotic all the time as it draws closer to the date of the LOML Jr's wedding. Many times it feels like we have 10 million things to get done and no real time to get them done in. Between work, family medical with my parents, and this wedding, I just don't have time for much else. It looks a lot like the daughter will get her wooden utensils after the wedding is over.

The good news is that my parents now have their land line phone, internet, and cable tv restored. Many places around them and very near them are still cleaning up after all the tornado activity that went through Alabama a short time back. My heart and prayers go out to all those that have been hit by these storms, the flood victims here in Arkansas as well as those still trying to put their lives back together in Vilonia, AR (just down the highway from me).

That's it for me this week, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Rod Sheridan
05-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I had scheduled a removal company to come and get all the furniture from Mom's house, however when talking to a neighbour they mentioned that they might want something.

Long story short, the neighbour across the road from my Mom organised everything and found enough people interested that there's nothing left in the house except the curtains and appliances, which the new buyer wanted. I was at the house Saturday so people could pick up the furniture, it's nice to know that it will be used, as Mom only purchased good stuff.

It was great of the neighbour to step up and help, however does the house ever look strange empty.......Another experience in life..............Regards, Rod.

David Hostetler
05-16-2011, 11:33 AM
I built a washer toss game from scrap and plywood, replaced the bad gas closer on the back storm door, picked up some plants for the garden, picked up a new P-trap for the kitchen sink, added a small extension piece to my strong tie workbench to allow me to move my SCMS there so I can get rid of the B&D miter saw stand that has been a thorn in my side since day one...
I picked up a couple of sheets of cabinet grade plywood for a couple of shop projects that I have been putting off for far too long, and I started milling some PT 4x4 stock so that I can TBIII laminate those to create a solid block stoop for the back door. The original was removed by the previous owner, and this is a major annoyance for LOML, so I am tasked with fixing this...

BOB OLINGER
05-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Well, a busy last 7-10 days. We finished the remodeling of the first of 3 bathrooms ( have to caulk around the ceramic tile above the tub/shower yet); finished installing new baseboard and door casing in the house (have to install the quarter round yet on the hardwood floor areas); all in time for a bridal shower on Saturday for our new daughter-in-law (lots of current and future relatives came). Sunday, was a calm down day after the previous push to get the mentioned work done for the shower. Went to church, took a nap, then picked up an used lawnmower on Craigslist for trim type mowing.

Plans for this week include fixing a cable on the riding lawnmower (deck support cable that appears very tough to get at), checking out a moulding knife to cut quarter round, repairing a bicycle, mowing lawn at the cabin, plus more items on the list (you know who makes the list :). Next major project is tying into remodeling of bathroom no. 2.

Jim Rimmer
05-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I have been refinishing a bedroom suit for LOML. It is a pre-WWII walnut set but not a valuable antique so I just sanded off the old finish. All was well until I got to the head-board and foot-board with a lot of round pieces and grooves. Finally completed sanding that and got the stain on Sunday PM. Will put the finish on this week and then get to projects that are more fun. Man, sanding is a mind-numbing process.

Jim Becker
05-16-2011, 7:39 PM
Yea, Dennis...'getting down to the wedding-wire! I think that the young lady is getting pretty excited about it, too, judging by her exclamations on FB! Happy times. I'm also glad to hear that things are getting back on track at your parent's place.

This past weekend, in addition to my normal riding lesson, mowing the lawn and planting the herb garden (we're not growing veggies this year as we joined a small, local, organic CSA that will deliver vegetables to us weekly), I got back on sanding the new wide-pine floor in the study room that's located in the 250 year old portion of our home. I have my dye mixed up and that will go on next followed by a coat of shellac. A couple coats of water-borne floor finish and I can touch up the pain, put in the shoe mould and transitions and move in some furniture. I really need to get it done so I can move on to more fun projects in the shop!