PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Hollowing Bits

Jeff Moffett
05-16-2011, 9:40 AM
I'm just entering the realm of hollowing and discovered yesterday that I don't know a good way to sharpen hollowing bits. I searched a couple of the catalogs and found the Little Buddy Bit Holder (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Universal_Jigs___Little_Buddy_Bit_Hol der___little_buddy) at Craft Supplies and the Sorby Tip Holder (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=148701&Category_Code=sharp-sbytip) at Packard. Does anyone have experience using either one of these sharpening jigs? Is one better than the other? Is there another jig or method I should consider?

I also noticed that both jigs mentioned above recommend notching the grinding platform. What's the best approach to do that? Should I just ease the platform into the grinding wheel? Thanks for your input.

Scott Hackler
05-16-2011, 9:48 AM
Jeff, I have a Sorby Hollowmaster and I sharpen mine in the tool....freehand. Granted I sharpen the bit upside down, as to not worry about a grab on the wheel. A quick zip around to establish the bevel I want and I then use a diamond sharpening stone to "flatten" the top. Flip the bit over (still in the tool) and with down strokes only I raise a burr around the edges.

This method works good for me and will cut like crazy. Might be a bit too agressive a cut for some folks so just skip the raising of the bur part if it is.

Terry Quiram
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Jeff

I made my own bit holder based on the Little Buddy. It isn't difficult. You just need a blank, drill bit and tap. You can even make the holder out of any hard wood. The bit holder makes works very well and keeps fingers away from the grinder. I usually sharpen a couple dozen at a time then just change bits as I hollow until I use them all.

Jim Burr
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
I just use the plate on the grinder...have never changed the angle. One the Monster bits, I just hold them with Vise-grips, run a couple of passes and your done.The burr on the top surface is what your looking for...according to the guys who make the bits.

Art Kelly
05-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I made a little jig for my Oland-type bits. I like to grind them "face down" so as to get a burr. I do the bigger flat Sorby-type bits by hand directly on the tool rest. (I remove them from the tool and put them flat on the tool rest, again "face down.")

Peter Fabricius
05-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi Jeff;
Please, do not ease the platform into the grinding wheel. You stand a good chance of "exploding" the stone... You will also needlessly use up a lot of good grinding stone for no reason.
Cutting the platform is a very good idea and is done by many of the professional turners that have demonstrated their sharpening techniques in videos...
Use a angle grinder with the platform set in a vice. OR just cut the slot with a hacksaw and nibble out the slot and then file to a nice edge. You will want to undercut the platform SLIGHTLY to get the platform very close to the stone.
Once you have the platform in place it is really easy to hand hold the straight bits and even the oval bits...
good luck
Peter F.

bob svoboda
05-16-2011, 12:21 PM
John Jordan sells a nifty bit holder that works great.

Jon Nuckles
05-16-2011, 3:00 PM
I sharpen the 2.5" long bits for the monster system on the wolverine platform and hold them by hand. With a light touch on the wheel, I've never felt the need for anything else to hold them, nor any need to notch the platform to get closer.

John Hart
05-16-2011, 4:28 PM
Here's a handy little article written by Vaughn McMillan. http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137:setting-up-and-sharpening-cutters-for-hollowing&catid=49:sharpening&Itemid=71

Steve Campbell
05-16-2011, 7:25 PM
194876194875Jeff I'm pretty cheap when it come to this kind of stuff. I just took a piece of hard maple and drilled a hole in the that just fits the cutting bit. Then drill and tap another hole that meets the first. Maple will hold threads very well. If after a few years it gets wallowed out I just make a new one.

Steve

Joel Albert
05-16-2011, 8:06 PM
Check out John Jordan's jig, it works well with the Wolverine sharpening system and is safe and painless to use.

http://www.stubbylathe.com/ (Tools section)

Jeff Moffett
05-17-2011, 8:19 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I'll start off with a homemade jig like several of you mentioned.