PDA

View Full Version : Help with Delta 13" Planer

Carol Johnston
05-16-2011, 9:26 AM
Several weeks ago my Delta 13" planer was making a racket. I took it to the nearest Delta Repair shop (45 minutes away). The problem was a broken belt. It was repaired, but a few weeks later, it started getting really loud, and I took it back. The nut that holds the pulley in place had loosened. After a couple of weeks, the noise came back, so I took it apart myself (I'm not mechanically minded, but I was tired of taking it to the repair shop). The nut had loosened again. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to keep the nut tightened? (The nut is a reverse thread) Thanks for any help you can give me. The planer works great, except for this problem, so I'd hate to have to buy a new one. Plus, I just purchased 3 new sets of blades, which were pretty pricey.

David Nelson1
05-16-2011, 9:32 AM
Use a bit of Blue Locktite on the nut, or add a split washer if there is enough threads. Blue Locktite is like a paste for threads to hold them steady till a certain amount of force is applied. DON'T get the red its permanent. Hardware or automotive places will carry both the locktie or the washers. Take the nut to make certain your the right size.

Gene Howe
05-16-2011, 9:53 AM
David is right on with both alternatives.
I had to chuckle, though. Thinking of asking the counter guy for the right sized Locktite.

Lee Schierer
05-16-2011, 10:09 AM
I agree, use some Loctite 242 (Blue). Skip the washer as the Loctite will work all by itself. Be sure to clean any greas or oil off the threads (male and female) before you apply the Loctite. Make sure you torque teh nut properly and give it 10-12 hours to cure before using it after application.

David Nelson1
05-16-2011, 10:24 AM
David is right on with both alternatives.
I had to chuckle, though. Thinking of asking the counter guy for the right sized Locktite.

Not what I had in mind, even if that's how it reads.:cool:

Harry Niemann
05-16-2011, 4:23 PM
I had the same problem with my planer some years ago. The nut came loose, caused the pulley to wobble and wear the hole. Replaced the pulley and the same thing happened. Complained to Delta. They sent me a new free pulley, blade holder roller and nut. No problem since. I believe they had a thread problem and did not admit it.

Carol Johnston
05-26-2011, 9:05 AM
I've used the Loctite. We'll see what happens. It's good to know that Harry received help from Delta. If this doesn't work, I'll contact them.

Harvey Pascoe
05-26-2011, 5:40 PM
Sounds like the thread/tap dimensions are off so Loctite is the only answer short of drilling retapping for a larger screw. I've had that problem with set screws in pulley's that wouldn't stay put.

Carol Johnston
06-06-2011, 3:41 PM
Well, the nut loosened again after using the Loctite. I called Delta and was told that I would probably need a new cutterhead, along with a new nut (nut screws onto the cutterhead), and they are no longer available. I can't believe that I can no longer use this planer because of a loose nut! I guess I'll try selling the new knives on Ebay and start looking for a new planer. If I can convince my husband, I'd like to buy a 15". Any suggestions?

dave toney
06-06-2011, 5:56 PM
A "loose nut" has damaged a few things in my shop.
That "loose nut" being me!
Dave

Curt Harms
06-07-2011, 8:35 AM
Well, the nut loosened again after using the Loctite. I called Delta and was told that I would probably need a new cutterhead, along with a new nut (nut screws onto the cutterhead), and they are no longer available. I can't believe that I can no longer use this planer because of a loose nut! I guess I'll try selling the new knives on Ebay and start looking for a new planer. If I can convince my husband, I'd like to buy a 15". Any suggestions?
Which Delta 13" planer? The 22-580? Depending on how bad you need it, any chance of finding one with a dead motor? Remove the cutterhead from that one. Depending on where you are, Craigslist might also be a possibility.

Joe Angrisani
06-07-2011, 8:59 AM
Use a bit of Blue Locktite on the nut.....DON'T get the red its permanent......

Carol... Red Loctite is no more "permanent" than those permanents women get in their hair. Big myth. I've heard it a hundred times over 20+ years as a mechanic. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred I used Red.

If you hadn't tried Blue already, I would have suggested you try Red first. But since that failed, I'm going to send you right to graduate school. Go buy Green Loctite. They call it "Loctite 290" or "sleeve retainer". Green is closer to permanent (you'll need a little heat to disassemble, but who cares, you DON'T want to disassemble it).

The instructions may say to apply after assembly and let it "wick" in. I suggest you clean the old threads (both nut and "bolt") with a small wire brush to remove the dried Blue Loctite from before. Then apply Green Loctite to the threads and torque the nut properly. Let it dry overnight before powering up the planer.

Carol Johnston
06-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll buy the green Loctite and see what happens. When you say "torque the nut properly", what does that mean? I'm not sure how much torque to use--don't want to break anything.

In case this doesn't work, I did find a company that makes spiral cutterheads (Accu-Head) to replace old cutterheads--problem is, the one that works on the 22-580 is $260.00. I don't know if I want to invest that much on an older planer. I will also check to see if anyone has a planer that has died and still has the cutterhead. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

Don Buck
06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm not a benchtop planer owner (or promoter) but I did notice that Amazon has a DELTA ShopMaster TP305 15 Amp 12-1/2-Inch Portable Planer on sale for $267 including shipping. It looks like the 22-580 is discontinued. Something to consider before you throw more money at a discontinued machine. However, perhaps the TP305 may be on its way out thus the low price. I would try the Loctite options first.

Joe Angrisani
06-07-2011, 2:49 PM
.....When you say "torque the nut properly", what does that mean? I'm not sure how much torque to use--don't want to break anything.....

It means I don't know anything about that nut/thread/material combo, so I can't offer a ft-lbs number to set your torque wrench to. Check your owner's manual, or call the service center techs you used. Alternately, post a couple of pictures here, along with some key dimensions (diameter of actual threads), and we might be able to offer up a number.

Curt Harms
06-08-2011, 8:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll buy the green Loctite and see what happens. When you say "torque the nut properly", what does that mean? I'm not sure how much torque to use--don't want to break anything.

In case this doesn't work, I did find a company that makes spiral cutterheads (Accu-Head) to replace old cutterheads--problem is, the one that works on the 22-580 is $260.00. I don't know if I want to invest that much on an older planer. I will also check to see if anyone has a planer that has died and still has the cutterhead. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

If you have an active Craigslist, you might post a WTB (wanted to buy) on the tools section. I'd guess the price for the Accu-Head compares favorably to the price of a Byrd head for the DeWalt 735 but that IS quite a bit of money for a universal motor powered machine that is out of production.

Harry Niemann
06-08-2011, 5:12 PM
I'm the guy who had the same problem and got free parts from Delta. As a last resort you may want to replace the nut with a locking type nut. I believe the thread is a 5/8 - 11 left hand. Meaning 5/8 is the diameter and there are 11 threads per inch.
McMaster-Carr in Chicago has this in a left hand thread. Their part no. is 90392A061. You will have to buy a package of 5 but the cost should be about $7.00 + shipping.I think I'd still use the Loc-Tite with it.
McMaster- Carr phone no. is 630-833-0300 They are a wholesaler, so just tell them you do machinery repair.

Good Luck

Mark Carlson
06-08-2011, 5:24 PM
mcmaster also has a great website. I order online from them all the time.

I'm the guy who had the same problem and got free parts from Delta. As a last resort you may want to replace the nut with a locking type nut. I believe the thread is a 5/8 - 11 left hand. Meaning 5/8 is the diameter and there are 11 threads per inch.
McMaster-Carr in Chicago has this in a left hand thread. Their part no. is 90392A061. You will have to buy a package of 5 but the cost should be about $7.00 + shipping.I think I'd still use the Loc-Tite with it.
McMaster- Carr phone no. is 630-833-0300 They are a wholesaler, so just tell them you do machinery repair.

Good Luck