PDA

View Full Version : Dog Hole Spacing

Mike Givney
05-16-2011, 8:18 AM
Thanks to input from fellow creekers the top is done and ready for dog holes. The "inboard" side of the bench consists of a leg vise and deadman with a jorgensen as the end vise with dog holes in the top of its outside face.
My thinking is three rows of dog holes at 3, 6 , and 9 inches from the edge of the bench spaced at 8 " apart (the end vise has a 12" opening capacity). I'll probably end up with a few extra holes further into the middle for the holdfasts but, that'll be after some trial workouts.
What do you think of this spacing and/or what have you on your bench that works absolutely perfectly for every project you've ever encountered :rolleyes: ?

Mike

glenn bradley
05-16-2011, 8:56 AM
I'm not sure I am picturing the 3, 6, 9 thing correctly. Dogs should align with the centerline of your vise screw if you are running centered holes and align with the spacing on your jaw for others. The spacing should be such that they are less than the capacity of your vise to move. Example; vise has 10" of travel so I spaced my dos at 6". Three rows; center and two outer rows. Some folks like them closer so they don't have to crank so much. I have QR vises so 6" has worked well for me. YMMV.

Mike Givney
05-16-2011, 9:15 AM
Sorry my description was confusing. I am picturing it just like the pic you posted. The vise is 12 in wide so the 3,6,9 thing is one dog over the screw and one on each end.

glenn bradley
05-16-2011, 9:21 AM
Sorry my description was confusing. I am picturing it just like the pic you posted. The vise is 12 in wide so the 3,6,9 thing is one dog over the screw and one on each end.

Ah, I see. I think it is just a little early for my brain to kick in. Your left to right spacing is good IMHO, distances away from the vise jaw become subjective. I would like a set of holes closer than you see in the pic but, with my vise hardware I would have ended up with non-through holes which you never want (cleanout problem). Beyond starting the first set as close to your continued spacing as possible (without weakening your mounting area), 6" has worked well for me. Others here have gone as close as 3" or 4" between holes but, I see no advantage in that in practice. Again, your experience may be different. HTH ;-)

Bill Haumann
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I think it really depends on what use you intend to put the dogholes to, and whether you prefer to start with too many or too few dogholes.
Will your dogholes be able to double for your holdfast (same diameter and deep enough for the holdfast)?
How wide is the stock you usually use, etc.
I have a row at 4" in, but I'm now mostly using a planing stop and a deeper row of dogholes to control movement across the bench when planing.

- Bill