PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Lidded Vessel

Kathy Marshall
05-16-2011, 12:42 AM
This is from a chunk of the piece of ambrosia maple sent to me by JK (thanks again John!). This stuff turned and hollowed very nice and sanding was a dream, it cut so nice I was able to start sanding with 220. I know the knob/finial isn't quite right, but it's glued in so it is what it is.
The lid is from another piece John sent, it had TIBIT written on it, don't know if that's what the wood is, or if some secret code :eek: but whatever it is, I like it.
The original plan was for the vessel to be about 1" shorter with a little wider base, but somehow in drilling out the center I went off the wrong mark on my drill bit and drilled almost 1" deeper than I had intended.

It's about 4" x 2 1/2" or thereabouts, just a coat of DO so far.

Thanks for looking!
As always critiques and comments are welcome.

Ed Morgano
05-16-2011, 1:05 AM
Kathy,
My main purpose for getting into turning was to make some Christmas gifts for family. Looking on this forum is giving me too many ideas.... My head is spinning with ideas. This is beautiful!

mickey cassiba
05-16-2011, 2:06 AM
Kathy, that is one pretty piece! Can't make any critique...I'm learning from you and the other SMC turning gurus. I like the end of the finial...too many baroque looking ones out there. The modern look goes with the form of the vessel IMUO

Dan Forman
05-16-2011, 3:13 AM
Really a lot going on in that wood! The slightly elongated form still looks good, the finial looks organic, like an apple stem, fits the piece. Very nice.

Dan

John Keeton
05-16-2011, 6:36 AM
Kathy, glad you enjoyed the maple - it is sweet wood to turn, and I love the dark color. The tibit is actually some wood left over from handles I made for Rob Culver before he acquired his lathe. He picked it up in the Virgin Islands, I believe. Very rich chocolate color - kind of a neat look with the maple. I knew you would find a great use for those small pieces!

Great job on this one!

Roger Chandler
05-16-2011, 6:43 AM
N-I-C-E!!! good one Kathy! I think you did fine with this piece.........that ambrosia is darker than I would have expected.........what finish did you use? Very nice fit of the lid to the form itself.......one seamless transition.........good stuff!

Tim Thiebaut
05-16-2011, 7:24 AM
Kathy this is very nice, those woods all work very well together! Could someone remind me what "DO" is in regards to finishes, I cant remember what it stands for.

John Keeton
05-16-2011, 7:26 AM
Tim, I believe the reference is to Danish Oil.

Roger Chandler
05-16-2011, 7:29 AM
Sorry Kathy........I missed the DO finish on the first reading..........that explains the darker color............nice!

Steve Schlumpf
05-16-2011, 7:35 AM
I like the form, the lid to vessel fit and actually think the finial suits the overall form quite well! In this case, seeing as how it is to function as a knob more so than a finial - I think you got the proportions just right!

I like the soft finish on this one! Gloss may work ... but I am liking it just as it is!

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing whats next!

Tim Thiebaut
05-16-2011, 7:39 AM
Tim, I believe the reference is to Danish Oil.

Ok thank you John!

Roland Martin
05-16-2011, 7:43 AM
Very nice turning all around, Kathy. A great piece of ambrosia to start with certainly doesn't hurt.

John Keeton
05-16-2011, 7:44 AM
Sorry Kathy........I missed the DO finish on the first reading..........that explains the darker color............nice!Roger, this piece is from a local tree, and was darker prior to turning by Kathy. I have noticed that silver maple with ambrosia, often darkens like this - perhaps the tree is diseased from the ambrosia and takes on some slight level of decay?? It isn't true spalting, but it sure leaves a nice rich color. Several of the pieces I have done have similar coloring using WOP or even lacquer to a lesser degree.