PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jointer/Planer/Mortiser Gloat

ed vitanovec
05-15-2011, 11:17 PM
I bought a used Rojek 12" combination jointer/planer/mortiser. Its 10 years old and not much has changed in this model other than the color and magnetic switch. Its in near new condition and has a few scratches from moving it to and from storage. The motor is 3.6 hp soft start and runs really smooth, head has 4 knives. This machine is really heavy, close to 600 lbs without the mortiser attached. The only thing I plan to do is add a reversing switch for the mortiser. The current delivered price on this is $5800, my craigs list price was $1050. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/fasteddie58/Rojek1.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/fasteddie58/Rojek2.jpg

Matt Day
05-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Very nice score!

jonathan eagle
05-16-2011, 7:24 AM
Nice deal. Wonder why such a depreciation in price? I just sold a couple of grizzly machines and made out well.

John TenEyck
05-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Took me three looks to figure out there's another jointer in the background and not two on your machine. Anyway, what a great score. Whoever sold it must have been clueless or really needed some cash, or maybe it's hot.

Mike Wilkins
05-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Nice find on the combo machine. I have the similar machine sold by Andreau Machinery of New Jersey. These machines are very similar to the Platinum machines sold by Laguna; if you look at your machine and the Laguna, there are similarities. I have enjoyed mine for the last 5 years, but rarely use the mortiser. Not real happy with the movement of the arms/sliders. I also plan to upgrade the knife system later this summer with the DisposaBlade system, making knife changes and sharpening much simpler. Nice having 12" of jointing capacity also. Stay safe and watch those fingers.

Rod Sheridan
05-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Nice deal. Wonder why such a depreciation in price? I just sold a couple of grizzly machines and made out well.

The Rojeck was a steal, probably because of the lack of familiarity in North America with combo machines.

Ed, congratulations, you obtained a good machine at fire sale prices.

How does the mortising chuck attach to the jointer spindle, can it run in reverse without coming off?

Regards, Rod.

Julian Tracy
05-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I find a lot of folks get real skeptical of good deals - like, maybe something's wrong with it or maybe it's hot?? But the truth is, any given thing's selling price has more to do with the seller's motivations and not the item's value.

Great deal!

JT

Brent Ring
05-16-2011, 1:39 PM
Nice gloat Ed! Probably makes straightlining wide boards on that slider even nicer... :) - Oh.... You Suck! :)

Jeff Monson
05-16-2011, 1:46 PM
Ed that is definitely a nice score. Congrats on a nice machine.

Jim Matthews
05-16-2011, 4:40 PM
Ed, may all your teeth fall out - but one, so you can still have a toothache.

I'm indescribably jealous of your good fortune, business acumen, clean shop and hairline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khSIYmTzt6U

ed vitanovec
05-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments. The lady I bought this from knew the value of it and originally was asking $2200, when I saw it price was reduced to $1500. I contacted her and started talking, she has a shipping background and got some quotes for me. She offered to pay half the shipping cost and I asked if I pick this up the selling price would be $1350, she said that would be fair. Well a couple of weeks went by and I called again, she said she also had someone else locally but would still offer me the machine first. It came down to 5:00pm on a friday and I called to bow out since I was short some cash due to some medical expenses. I felt I owed it to her to tell her to sell to the other person, I said I only had a little over $1000 and $1050 to be exact. She said you know with the direction her business is going she would sell for $1050. I was real happy and surprised and gladly said I would drive to Phoenix in the morning to pick it up. This lady is a really nice person to begin with and gave me a deal I could not refuse. I took the tables and mortiser off to load it on the truck, with 3 of us we layed it on the back for the drive home verses standing it up and being top heavy. I know the guys she had move it struggled to move it as one whole unit. The sad story behind the original owner is I hear he has brain cancer and she bought it at an estate sale. Well I used the jointer tonight to flatten some 9' mesquite boards and it worked like a charm, just should have hooked it up to dust collection but I will tomorrow. The mortiser chuck screws onto the end of the head and will loosen if used like that so I need the reversing switch. I don't think the mortiser part was ever used since the chuck would just come off. I plan on selling my 8" shopfox jointer locally.

Regards!
Ed

Harold Burrell
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
You know...somehow even the words "You Suck" don't even seem strong enough...

:p;):D

Neil Brooks
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Ever hear of the Greater Fool Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory)??

I think .... you got ripped off ... badly.

But ... as a subscriber TO the Greater Fool Theory, I want to give you comfort by letting you know that I AM that Greater Fool, and .... am HERE for you ... to RIP OFF ... in the same way that the seller ripped YOU off.

It'll ease your conscience, preserve your dignity, AND keep the other Creekers from telling you how much you suck.

All good reasons ... to sell it to ME ... at ... say ... a $300 loss.

Call me. I'll be waiting right here ;)

[I'm nauseous with envy. What a beautiful tool, and what a sexy price !!! Congratulations !!!!]

Chris Tsutsui
05-17-2011, 1:35 PM
What a deal.

I know a guy that looked at mini-max, hammer, laguna etc, and ended up going with Rojek.

You've got yourself a great machine and you should be able to use it for many years and resell it for a profit when you stumble upon a 16" J/P for $1,000. (knowing your luck)

ed vitanovec
05-17-2011, 11:32 PM
I actually know of a Rojek jointer/planer in Phoenix that is a 16" version of what I have, its 3 phase and selling price is $2000. This guy has 4 Rojek machines, a large sliding table saw, 2 standard table saws and the 16" jointer/planer. He offered to sell all 4 machines to me for $7000. He was telling me they are from a hi end kitchen cabinet shop that went out of business, Rojek USA was telling him these machines sold new about 6 years ago for $50,000. I think there is money to be made for someone willing to buy these machines for re-sell. These machines are on pallets and are close to 4,500lbs for all 4 machines.

Regards!
Ed

Alan Lightstone
05-18-2011, 9:40 AM
I have the Laguna version of that machine and paid way more. So nice score. Let us know how the dust collection is when jointing. That's my biggest disappointment with it. Even when enlarging the dust collection port to 6" and running it through a 5HP Oneida cyclone it showers shavings onto the planer bed when jointing. I'm curious as to whether your Rojek does the same. The machines look virtually identical, outside of color.