PDA

View Full Version : Cashew Paint/Jake Antonelli

robert raess
05-15-2011, 8:54 PM
I saw a beautiful cup made by Jake Antonelli in AAW mag. I don't recall what year.Really awesome paint/coloring effect.The article said nothing about procedure/steps..only something about cashew paint.Anyone know anything re. this subject. It seems to be of Japanese origin, akin to Black Lacquer. Thanks Rob

Ed Morgano
05-16-2011, 1:48 AM
Robert,
Do a google search for "cashew paint". First hit tells about the company. http://www.cashew.co.jp/en/corp-e.htm.

Chip Sutherland
05-16-2011, 4:08 PM
I think I know the cup you are talking about. Layered glazes (green, yellow red black) that look sanded back or something. I've been mesmerized by it and have experimented with layering milk paints. Milk paint is very durable and I happened to have some white paint.

I rounded a piece of softwood stock btw centers. Used a small ball/peen hammer (struck with 2nd hammer) to create depressions (paint wells) so paints could layer. Then using white milk paint I tinted several colors and painted the piece, a couple of coats each. Then sanded it back with lathe running. Sort got what I expected but not. Milk paint is some tough stuff. Hard to control sanding thru. I started with 120...then backedup to 80, 100, 120, etc. At 220/240, the milk paint just starts to burnish. I had a lot of scratch lines but I was impatient.

I think what I learned was that the first coat needs to be extra thick as it will be the dominant color. Sanding on the lathe is a good start but hand sanding (or maybe with spiral discs in a dremel) is probably the best way to control what colors are exposed. However, I envison hand sanding as a mind-numbingly long and very dusty process. My paint coverage was not consistent or sanding the softwood was inconsistent. So it was not attractive.

Maybe you can come up with a better approach. My goal was to produce a series of pieces with a faux alligator, lizard, etc. texture. And a 2nd series with a Tiffany stained glass texture. More dream than I have the time/effort to pull off currently with wife, kids, work, grad school, etc.

robert raess
05-16-2011, 4:37 PM
Chip, thanks for the reply.There are not alot of clues, but what i know, he used cashew paint, which is linked to Jap.Blk. Lacquer technique+it was in the spring 2009 vol. 24 of AAW authored by Terry Martin.I like your thinking and will put that in the blender[my brain].I emailed the maker 'Jake Antonelli", and hoping for a reply.I like your layering idea,but i saw no evidence of sanding,but layering makes alot of sense.I was thinking, did he use some kinda release that would accept the paint where the release was not painted on..all i know is when i find out i bet it will be so simple we'll get a laugh out of it.!!Thanks again Rob

Rich Greinert
05-16-2011, 5:22 PM
Use the listings on the left side of this linked page to navigate to see examples. Quite beautiful.

http://jakeantonelli.com/

Chip Sutherland
05-17-2011, 10:59 AM
I checked out his stuff and one of his boxes looks like he used rice as a resist/release. Definitely gives rise to a multitude of 'objects'. I'm having visions of those macaroni pictures my kids did in kindergarten....LOL.

I have no idea what a good resist would be for my milk paint concept. The milk paint was just simply something I had on hand, was white and could be tinted...and is durable to sanding (homage to an Al Stirt class).

Lacquer? Is the obvious answer for a release to be lacquer thinner? I think I will reach out to my local artist guild friends for ideas. Just what I need another squirrel for the mental treadwheel for my adult ADD to spin on.

robert raess
05-17-2011, 1:29 PM
I took a couple of Al Stirts classes as well, and now have milk paint and a new carver and special rotary bits he uses extensively.As to release agent, i was thinking more of wax:then apply color of choice,wipe off wax and re-apply in another area and apply 2nd color..that's my take, but like you i think i will visit my local art store and pick there brain..Thanks for gettin' in there with me and wrestling this idea down to a solution.Next for me ,i'll call the AAW and pick there brains as well..Thanks Rob

Chip Sutherland
05-17-2011, 2:26 PM
Last comment. Liquid Frisket. I happen to have some AAW DVDs from 2008 where Art Liestman talks briefly about the stuff. I knew about thin/thick frisket sheets from a Binh Pho class but not liquid masking materials. I don't have a Dick Blick near me but there are several companies that have liquid masking products according to their website. Maybe the local Hobby store has some to try out.

robert raess
05-17-2011, 4:02 PM
Thanks, am checking on it...all sounds greek..Thanks Rob