PDA

View Full Version : Hide glue / hammer veneering help

Walter Plummer
05-15-2011, 8:40 PM
I got a Rival "Hot pot express" and a thermometer and some Behlen hide glue from Wooodcraft. So far, not so good. Behelen says mix it 50/50 and 145 degrees and I finally got that tuned in. Seems to set up almost instantly before I can hammer it out. Today I tried thinning it out a little more but that did not seem to change anything. Too much glue? I am only experimenting with small pieces. Advise? Thanks for any help. Walt

Carl Civitella
05-15-2011, 9:30 PM
This site might shed some light.. Carl

http://www.woodtreks.com/router-reed-or-flute-table-or-bed-wood-turning-on-a-lathe/1347/

david brum
05-16-2011, 1:23 AM
I have tried hide glue 3 or 4 times, so I can speak with authority on its use;). It sounds like you're applying it to a cold surface? You might try warming the substrate before applying the glue. Let us know how you do.

Walter Plummer
05-16-2011, 4:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. Carl I have watched those videos and most of the rest on you tube etc. I think Mr. Edwards are the best. David you are correct just room temperature substrate. I will try warming it up some. Walt

mike holden
05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Walter,
The Peabody Essex museum website had/has a video of hammer veneering. Believe it was Phil Lowe doing the demonstrating. Warm environment, warm wood, will extend time before hide glue gels, but it is very short period - not much more than a minute. However, it can be reheated in situ to complete larger areas. Tage Frid gives a very good description of hammer veneering in his books. Remember to apply glue to both sides of the veneer.
Mike