PDA

View Full Version : New hollow forms.

Steve Campbell
05-15-2011, 6:03 PM
A while ago I showed some pictures of my new hollowing rig I made. I figured I would try and show some of the stuff that came off of it. The first is a Birch with dyed Maple finial. It is about 7"X9" with wop. Next is a Cherry form with a Purpleheart collar. it's about 7 1/2"X4 1/2" with wop. Then we have a Red Cedar with dyed Maple finial. It's 7'X9" with wop. Next is a red cedar form that is 6"X3" With wop. And last is a Cherry with a natural Maple finial. It's 6"X9" with wop.

My picture taking skills are still terrible but I can handle anything you have to say about my turning skills.

These are my first attempts at finials and I'm sure it shows, so I can take any advise.

Thanks for looking

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2011, 6:14 PM
Steve - very nice variety of hollow forms! Looks like you have the poly finish all figured out! About the only advice I can offer at this point - when it comes to finials - is to think thin. What you see while the finial is still on the lathe generally works out to be about twice as thick as you intended. So, with that in mind, also try to taper your finial and all it's elements so that things get smaller as they near the top.

I do like the red cedar form. Very contemporary form and I love the coloring!

Looking forward to seeing your next HF! Hope it has it's own thread so we can study just the one form to generate constructive comments!

charlie knighton
05-15-2011, 7:51 PM
very nice, the dyed finials are well done

David E Keller
05-15-2011, 7:54 PM
Looks like the rig works well. Fantastic looking finish on all of them, and I also really like the cedar form. The finial details look good, and I agree with Steve about trying for more thinness. The straightish walls on the last piece disrupt the flow of my eye, but I appreciate the variety of forms you've cranked out here. All in all, it's a lovely bunch, and I envision some great work from you in the near future.

Michael James
05-15-2011, 8:00 PM
Nice stuff and holy mackeral Andy.... that is some gloss on them babies! Nice.
mj

Bill Bolen
05-15-2011, 8:06 PM
Looks as if the new tooling is working quite well. Congrats on a nice collection of very good HF's.

John Keeton
05-15-2011, 8:21 PM
Steve, you have the finishing technique down pat!! I think I will just ship all my stuff to you for finishing. Looks like the finial thing is coming together for you. I think the finials are proportioned well taken be themselves - their height and mass are about right. However, overall they appear too large for the forms. If they were thinner, and about 25-30% shorter, I think you would have some exceptional work.

bob svoboda
05-16-2011, 8:53 AM
Really nice, Steve. The finish is outstanding.

Roland Martin
05-16-2011, 9:33 AM
WOW, nothing like putting your new system to the test! Very nice work with great finishing.

Baxter Smith
05-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Nice work on a nice variety of shapes.

Steve Campbell
05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Thank you guys so much for the comments. I can see what you mean about the finials being thinner. Actually the first finial in the photos was done last Christmas for an ornament. The ornament went BOOM so I saved the finial for another day.
John thanks for suggesting they be shorter. Thats one thing I will try in the future.
David I know what you are saying about the last form being flat, I almost didn't post that one for that very reason. I don't like it much either, but I did learn a lot trying it.
Talking about finishes, It's maybe a good thing my photo skills are as sad as they are or you may see they are not all that nice.

Thanks again

Steve

Justin Stephen
05-16-2011, 5:04 PM
Overall, looks like very nice work. I really like the finial on the first cedar piece.

At least from the picture, the purpleheart collar doesn't contrast with the cherry as much as I would think would be ideal, but pictures can be deceiving.

David DeCristoforo
05-16-2011, 5:17 PM
Nice set of forms. I do like the red cedar one best even though I am totally allergic to cedar! The form on that one is just especially appealing.

Johnny Taylor
05-16-2011, 5:21 PM
Very nice work. I really like the red cedar one, the form is really nice and the colour combined with the super glossy WOP finish works a treat.

robert raess
05-16-2011, 5:27 PM
I like the Cedar..Rob

Eric Gourieux
05-17-2011, 3:25 PM
Steve, I love your work. I have a few questions:
1) Do you buff the WOP once it's dry?
2) What do you use to dye your finials?

Steve Campbell
05-17-2011, 6:05 PM
Eric I did buff the wop but you want to wait a week or so to let the wop cure good. As far as dyeing the finials, I used some India ink I had on hand. Hope this helps.

Steve