PDA

View Full Version : moles

charlie knighton
05-15-2011, 5:54 PM
is there any way to get rid of moles?

over the years have used wind vanes and poisen in the tunnels, they seem to like those things, the extended family seems to be getting larger

Jerome Stanek
05-15-2011, 6:03 PM
my cat keeps them in control

David Helm
05-15-2011, 6:05 PM
I just don't worry about them. They are carnivores so they leave the plant roots alone. Probably have hundreds on my property. Don't care.

Scott Shepherd
05-15-2011, 6:07 PM
MoleMax, available at garden centers. It solves the problems for moles and voles.

Paul Ryan
05-15-2011, 8:12 PM
I have never had the problem but my brother did. He was told to use ex-lax break little pieces off the main bar and but it at the tunnels. It worked for my brother.

Larry Frank
05-15-2011, 9:28 PM
One way is to use a lawn insecticide to kill the grubs that they eat. In addition, it will also kill the larva that turn into Japanese Beetle. I use this in some area of my yard. In other areas, the clay is so hard that they can not make tunnels.

Ted Calver
05-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Spring loaded traps work for me. Milky Spore fungus controls the grubs the moles chow down on, but unless all your neighbors apply it, it's useless and very pricey. I have a large garden and the moles are really destructive. Although they don't eat plants, their tunnels disturb roots and then the Voles, which do eat plants use their tunnels to get to root systems. I keep an eye out for the little buggers and they don't last long in my yard.

David G Baker
05-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I use the spear spring traps. It takes a while but it eventually gets them. I am amazed at how much damage one mole can do in one lawn.

Lee Schierer
05-16-2011, 8:43 AM
Milky Spore fungus controls the grubs the moles chow down on, but unless all your neighbors apply it, it's useless and very pricey.

We applied milky spore to our yard and we have few if any moles. If there's no food, the moles don't hang out. It lasts for years. In fact, this spring my neighbor noted that his yard was loaded with moles and our yard was not. I told him about the milky spore application we had done and he is planning to do his yard. The milky spore will spread and last for several years.

Brian Elfert
05-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I have used both MoleMax and grub killer. Both will keep the moles away for a while until the stuff needs to be applied again.

dave toney
05-17-2011, 9:18 AM
My father in law used to use propane, it's heavier than air and will suffocate them.
No smoking!
Dave

David Weaver
05-17-2011, 9:29 AM
I use a dermatologist.

Lee Ludden
05-17-2011, 9:49 AM
You know what the two most common diseases moles suffer from?

Trench foot and Tunnel Vision. :D:D

ray hampton
05-17-2011, 3:11 PM
I use a dermatologist.
wrong type of moles

Shawn Christ
05-18-2011, 10:57 PM
I had an army of moles living under my hickory tree and I think I finally won the war. In my experience, spear traps and poisons don't work. Get a couple Victor Out O'Sight Mole Traps. It's what the pros use. 10 bucks each on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Victor-0631-OSight-Mole-Trap/dp/B00004RAMY/ref=cm_aya_orig_subj). Be sure to read the extensive review and tips from Geoffrey Klos, "Don't Follow the Directions", November 1, 2007. Extremely helpful and entertaining! You'll be catching moles in no time.

David Prince
05-19-2011, 5:42 PM
My father in law used to use propane, it's heavier than air and will suffocate them.
No smoking!
Dave

Can you drop a lit cigarette in the hole after you fill it with propane? :D:D:D

John Coloccia
05-19-2011, 6:49 PM
Can you drop a lit cigarette in the hole after you fill it with propane? :D:D:D

That's so amateurish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umEFHeo6mw

Kent A Bathurst
05-19-2011, 7:13 PM
That's so amateurish...

I agree - the nuclear option.

One other approach - if you live in the countryside. It's called the "six and twelve" eradication method. Study their patterns, and find a main thouroughfare. Gently tamp down a small portion. Bring out a chair, a six-pack of beer, and a twelve-gauge shotgun. Sit there, watching the mole run, drinking your beer. When the tamped-down part starts to raise up, sit down the beer and pick up the twelve-gauge.

Jay Maiers
05-19-2011, 8:55 PM
I agree - the nuclear option.

One other approach - if you live in the countryside. It's called the "six and twelve" eradication method. Study their patterns, and find a main thouroughfare. Gently tamp down a small portion. Bring out a chair, a six-pack of beer, and a twelve-gauge shotgun. Sit there, watching the mole run, drinking your beer. When the tamped-down part starts to raise up, sit down the beer and pick up the twelve-gauge and say "Hey y'all, watch this!.

Fixed it for ya!
:D

Caspar Hauser
05-19-2011, 9:47 PM
There may be some small comfort in the following,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

or

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQDTcHub8g

Lee Schierer
05-20-2011, 8:10 AM
Wow, I have tears in my eyes watching that first video. What a riot...You know the only way to get rid of a mole is with a good cat or maybe several.....