PDA

View Full Version : Dough Boy (Ahab's Revenge Vs Tony's Walnut)

David DeCristoforo
05-15-2011, 5:48 PM
Let the battle begin!

This walnut blank Tony DeMasi (with one "s") sent me is just about the max my lathe can handle on the inboard side. The lathe has a 12" swing and the blank is 12" in diameter. I had to shave a bit off the sides to get it to spin without "kissing" the bed. I am split between "green" turning it to finished or roughing it out and doing the DNA bit. But one way or the other, this is going to be a great "maiden voyage" for the new 5/8" Glaser bowl gouge!

Dick Wilson
05-15-2011, 6:07 PM
Do not turn this into one of you famous long stem goblets!!!!!!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2011, 6:20 PM
Do not turn this into one of you famous long stem goblets!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I'm thinking water Lilly!

Have fun with your new gouge!

David E Keller
05-15-2011, 7:40 PM
Just make a big blub! Or a nice bowel!

Hayes Rutherford
05-15-2011, 8:42 PM
That is one serious looking tool. Might be fun to make a thimble out of that blank and you shouldn't need to re sharpen.

David DeCristoforo
05-15-2011, 10:20 PM
"Do not turn this into one of you famous long stem goblets..."

Not to worry. It's gonna be a bowl. I don't have any wood that would make a pedestal that big anyway...

Ed Morgano
05-16-2011, 12:47 AM
David,
You should be able to get several thimbals out of the inside before you turn the inside into chips.

Tony De Masi
05-16-2011, 8:48 AM
Looking forward to it's result DD. If you need to get artsy turquise inlay looks really nice with walnut.

Roland Martin
05-16-2011, 9:26 AM
Great looking piece of walnut to baptise that new gouge.

bob svoboda
05-16-2011, 9:29 AM
That wood-gouge combo should make some nice ribbons. Looking forward to the result.

David DeCristoforo
05-16-2011, 5:28 PM
Ding... There's the bell and they come out swinging. Oooo... the gouge lands a vicious uppercut and right off, the wood is staggering! Shavings are flying everywhere. The gouge presses the advantage, advancing... pulling back... moving in again... The walnut is spinning, vision blurred... feeling totally helpless to resist the onslaught! The gouge attacks again and again. Before the first round is even over, the wood is reeling and barely recognizable. It realizes that it is outmatched and in way over it's head. All it can hope for now is to come out of this with a form that will somehow reveal it's inner beauty to those who see it.

Cathy Schaewe
05-16-2011, 6:57 PM
just make a big blub! Or a nice bowel!

lol!!! :d:d:d

Steve Campbell
05-16-2011, 7:02 PM
Great start there David. Sure looks like the new gouge is working well. Can't wait to see it finished.

Steve

David DeCristoforo
05-18-2011, 5:01 PM
So I just ruined that beautiful piece of walnut Tony sent me. Don't know how but "somehow" I got the wall too thin near the bottom. "Somehow", today, it just does not seem to matter. FWIW, the Glaser gouge is a joy to use.

Roger Chandler
05-18-2011, 5:07 PM
So I just ruined that beautiful piece of walnut Tony sent me. Don't know how but "somehow" I got the wall too thin near the bottom. "Somehow", today, it just does not seem to matter. FWIW, the Glaser gouge is a joy to use.

Sorry to hear about the .........uh, er, uhmm, .......mishap........yeah, that's it .........we will call it a mishap. From personal experience I can tell you........I understand :o:(:)

Maybe the next one will not be quite the "fight" in it, and you can show it. Unless this is just round 2 and you have more rounds to go.........and then we will see who the winner is, maybe? :confused::cool:

Steve Campbell
05-18-2011, 6:45 PM
Kinda sounds like the new gouge works too well..........................

Steve

Dan Forman
05-18-2011, 7:11 PM
Dang, some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. You had me riveted with the action of the first round, sounds like that gouge "floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee." I guess it stung one time too many. Ah well, next time...

Dan

David DeCristoforo
05-18-2011, 7:41 PM
Yeah... I guess so. Sometimes you eats the bear... sometimes the bear eats you. The gouge is great and, as seems typical with top quality tools, I'm finding out what a "real" bowl gouge should be. Thing is, I've never really turned a "real" bowl. Just a couple of dinky little ones. So, I've got a lot to learn. Dumb of me to jump right in with such a great piece of wood. But it really was going well. I just feel in a funk today and cannot shake off the sadness around the Joan Kelly thing. probably should have just steered clear of it today...

David E Keller
05-18-2011, 7:44 PM
Bummer! I know what you mean about Joan... I avoided the shop today.