PDA

View Full Version : New to me spokeshave

Jim McGee
05-15-2011, 5:47 PM
I puchased a Stanley No. 67 Spokeshave at an antique shop. Can any one tell me the angleto use to sharpen the iron. Thanks.

Bill Houghton
05-17-2011, 11:40 PM
This is a bevel-down shave - think of a bench plane. On bevel-down tools, you're usually safe with a sharpening angle between 25 and 30 degrees. There's some argument about which is better, but I doubt you can go wrong much of anywhere in that range.

Brian Rabinovitch
05-18-2011, 8:52 AM
I concur, 25 - 30 degrees is what you want. We put a 30 degree on ours.

good luck

Jim McGee
05-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the help.
Jim

Jim Koepke
05-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Jim,

Welcome to the Creek. I just realized this is an older post.

Well, if you still look in on us, how about some pictures? That is a gloat worthy spoke shave.

I am also wondering if this came with all the parts? There should be two different bottoms to this shave, one flat and one curved.

Have fun,

jtk

Jim McGee
05-18-2011, 6:51 PM
Nope, I didn't get the two different bottoms. I guess I will have to go back and snoop somemore at the antique shop. Thanks of the information.

Bill Houghton
05-18-2011, 9:06 PM
Based on what I've observed on deBay, it's very rare for a 67 to survive with both bottoms and the fence still associated with the shave. It would have needed an organized mechanic with maybe a slight compulsive streak to accomplish it. I bought a fence for mine from St. James Bay Tool - it's well made. He also offers the "bases" (which sandwich the cutting iron from the back) at pretty reasonable prices. They occasionally show up on eBay, too, although it's got to be a sharp seller to recognize them for what they are when they're not on the shave. Perhaps some time I'll get the flat base; I was thrilled to get the round base on the one I bought on eBay.

Jim McGee
05-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Bill
Thanks for the information on St. James Bay tool. I will see what they have.
Jim