PDA

View Full Version : Can this tire be patched?

Phil Thien
05-15-2011, 5:25 PM
This is the tire from my 2010 Honda Odyssey.

Got a nail in it.

Can this be patched? Or is it too close to the edge? I'd say the nail is approx. 1" in from the side.

Steven Satur
05-15-2011, 5:44 PM
Yes it can. As long as you don't get a hole on the sidewall it can be fixed. Go to a auto parts store and get a Black Jack tire repair kit. Do it yourself. What they charge you at a service station for fixing that, you can get a kit with 20-30 repairs in it for the same price.

Steve

charlie knighton
05-15-2011, 5:52 PM
yes, do not plug it, use a patch that close to sidewall

Joe Angrisani
05-15-2011, 6:55 PM
Steven is talking about a plug repair you push in from the outside. Charlie is talking about a patch applied to the inside of the tire.

+1 for using a patch. Always.

Steven Satur
05-15-2011, 7:23 PM
I have always plugged the tires on my trucks and cars for years, never had a problem. Sure you can patch it, but I have seen them fail also. I don't think the hole is too close to the sidewall, there are still steel belts at that location.

Steve

John McClanahan
05-15-2011, 7:35 PM
If that was my tire, I would plug it. Read and follow the plug kit instructions. Horror stories arise from incorrectly installed plugs.

John

Von Bickley
05-15-2011, 7:37 PM
My tire dealer WILL NOT plug tires. He says it's too much of a liability issue.

If you buy tires from him, he will patch your tires free.

Jeff Monson
05-15-2011, 7:39 PM
Phil, I'd say that is repairable. We use plug patches for those type repairs. It is a patch that has a plug attached for added strength. The repair is done from the inside as a normal patch. Any decent tire shop should have these type of patches, they are more expensive than a typical patch, but they do a nice job for outside edges.

Jeff Monson
05-15-2011, 7:42 PM
Here is a reference on what they look like

http://www.amazon.com/Camel-15-291-Crown-Punch-Plug-N-Patch/dp/B00270GXEI

Bryan Morgan
05-15-2011, 10:38 PM
I had a nail in almost the exact same spot but no tire place would patch it. It was on Z rated tires so maybe that had something to do with it. Looks like you wear is pretty far from the wear bars so at least you don't have to worry about that.

Jason Roehl
05-16-2011, 8:28 AM
If you're a Sam's Club member, they will repair tires for free. I've never had a problem with a repaired tire, provided it was repairable. I don't worry about whether a patch or plug is better, I just let the tire techs deal with it.

Jim O'Dell
05-16-2011, 7:52 PM
Yeah, I'd say that is repairable also. The plug/patch combos are good for close to the edge. If it is on the sidewall, right in or next to the corner, no repair. The tire flexes too much at the corner to hold a patch. Z rated tires have a whole set of reasons not to patch them. Mostly to do with speed. Jim.

Bill Cunningham
05-17-2011, 10:11 PM
One word... "Green Slime (http://www.slime.com/testimonials.html)" well, maybe two..ha.. I had the same problem, pumped in a bottle of this stuff, and the tire has been up solid for over a year now.. It will seal a hole up to 1/4" nail holes are no problem, and winter does not seem to cause a thickening/unbalance problem at all.. It's waterbased and will wash out if you pull the tire. It stays in there, and seals any new punctures as the occur.. If will prevent your wife/daughter from ending up on the side of the road with a flat in a bad area.. You can get it at Walmart

George Lesniak
05-21-2011, 5:31 PM
Phil,

According to the Tire Industry Association that puncture should not be repaired.

http://www.rma.org/tire_safety/tire_maintenance_and_safety/tire_repair/tire.jpg

http://www.rma.org/tire_safety/tire_maintenance_and_safety/tire_repair/

George

Dave Lehnert
05-21-2011, 6:49 PM
My tire dealer will only patch. Said a plug will put a tire out of balance.
The above post from the Tire Industry Association is an interesting read. Wonder how much danger there really is patching outside the range given. Is the info given just for an extra safety margin? Kinda like a warning that a Q-tip is not to be used inside the ear?
I don't understand why it would be a danger to patch a tire in the example given with just a nail hole. I understand why the sidewall.

Phil Thien
05-21-2011, 7:11 PM
I ended up calling the tire manufacturer (Michelin).

I described the location and he said it was iffy. He said he would much rather give me an awesome deal on a new tire and not have to worry about it.

I had already purchased a new tire because the dealer wouldn't patch it. I wasn't sure if I should discard this tire or not, so I posted here.