PDA

View Full Version : Bevel up planes - "smoother" or "jack" sized?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-15-2011, 5:17 PM
I'm looking at picking up a bevel up plane, the main impetus behind this being shooting board use, as I'm not entirely thrilled with the performance of what I have for shooting edges. I'd like something with squarer sides so setting the blade is easier, and a lower angle than my bench planes, but a larger blade and a little more mass than my block planes. However, a shooting board only plane feels a little extravagant right now. (So no #51 just yet)

The other major benefit of a bevel up plane seems to be the ease of swapping to a higher effective cutting angle with a blade change, and the adjustable mouth. For the work I've been doing, it seems like a "smoother" size would be a more effective plane for use with a higher cutting angle (for taming tearout and such) than a "jack" sized plane. But I get the impression the low angle jack planes are ubiquitous, and more popular, these days. I guess the jack size would make more sense with the toothed blades that are available, but I'm still leaning towards the smoother size for my usage.

I know this is one of those things where I need to analzye my own work and decide what makes most sense to me, although that's a little odd for me as I've been transitioning from guitar work to general furniture making stuff. But I'm just curious if anyone has any input onto whether they would really rather have a bevel up plane in one size over the other.

If I didn't have "normal" bench planes in the usual sizes, the obvious answer would be to fill a gap in what I have now, but I'm pretty comfortable with what I've got, outside of shooting edges. I figure something that performs a little better as a fine smoother would mean grabbing the cabinet scrapers less often, which might be nice.

Matt Winterowd
05-15-2011, 5:57 PM
If shooting is the primary use, you'll appreciate more mass in the plane. That argues for the jack plane. I have a LN 62 that I use mostly for shooting and it's great for that as well as being versatile for other jobs. I really don't think I'd want anything lighter than that for shooting.

lowell holmes
05-15-2011, 6:22 PM
I solved your dilemma by purchasing both.:)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-15-2011, 6:34 PM
I solved your dilemma by purchasing both.:)

As much as I love that line of thought, my bank account is disagreeing!

Bob Warfield
05-15-2011, 6:38 PM
I agree 100% with Matt. I was fortunate enough to attend a LN Tool Event this weekend in St. Louis and got to "play" with several planes. I tried the #51, #9, and the #62 with and without the hotdog grip. I actually prefered the #62 without the hotdog. I tried them all on a 3/4" piece of hardwood, don't know what it was, and the #62 was the easiest for me to use, and yes they were all adjusted to take a .001 - .002 shaveing. Could be that I have been useing an old #4 and am just comfortable with the way I have to grip it. Anyway I can definately see a #62 in my future.
Good Luck
Bob Warfield

Jim Belair
05-15-2011, 6:57 PM
I have the very popular Veritas LA Jack and it has nice mass for use on the shooting board. It also can be used for smoothing with a higher angle blade. Slight price advantage over the L-N.

Bob Warfield
05-15-2011, 7:39 PM
Good point Jim. I forgot to mention that the #62 I used went from the shooting board to flat smoothing and worked better than anything else I have used. So yes the low angle jack weather LV or LN is a very versatile tool.
Good Luck,
Bob warfield

Bill Miltner
05-15-2011, 8:17 PM
I know that BU jack is preferred by many but I prefer the smoother. I have both the LN Low-Angle Jack and the LV Low-Angle Smoother and I find that I reach for the smoother much more frequently than the jack. It just feels more confortable in my hand and I find working difficult gran more easily done with a 10" planr than a 14" one. Certainly it is a matter of personal preference, but my vote is for the Low-Angle smoother.

Don Dorn
05-15-2011, 8:55 PM
I use the Veritas LA Jack on the shooting board and love the mass and ease of use. Sure I'd be just as happy with the LN.

Jim R Edwards
05-15-2011, 9:05 PM
I use a LVBUJ. I tried a #9 and a #51 at a LN tool show in Tampa and the 51 was my favorite but it is out of my price range.

Jim Koepke
05-15-2011, 9:16 PM
My LN #62 is great for shooting board use. I opted to buy the hot dog for mine.

The LV would likely be just as good. Mine was bought primarily for use on a shooting board.

jtk

Adam Cormier
05-15-2011, 10:16 PM
+1 for the BU Jack, I love mine.

Tony Shea
05-16-2011, 4:37 PM
BU jack for sure. The smoother would work fine for shooting but def would agree that more mass is nice for shooting. I use my LVBU jack for smoothing difficult grain as well as increasing planing angle with a swap of the blade is very simple. No more back bevels on my bench planes. I absolutely love my LV BU jack plane and really never thought that I would use it outside the shooting board. It is now my second most used full size plane next to my LN #7. I opted for the LV version as I liked the small dimples in the side which work well for grip during shooting. This was after reading Derek's reveiw of the plane. I'm very happy with the purchase and shouldn't have waited so long to do it.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, I guess I'm going with a "jack" sized. It'll let me dedicate one of the older jacks I have (none of which have very fine mouths) to courser work. My desire for a higher angled plane in a smoothing size will be good motivation to get around to trying my hand at a wooden plane.

I have an amazing wife, who actually convinced me that I should order the LN 62 now instead of waiting, she knows I've been drooling over this for a while.

Jim Koepke
05-17-2011, 1:33 PM
I have an amazing wife, who actually convinced me that I should order the LN 62 now instead of waiting, she knows I've been drooling over this for a while.

You will like the LN 62. My suggestion would be to order the hot dog with it, or make one of your own.

The hot dog was a touch too tight to fit mine when ordered. A few quick strokes with a file inside the hot dog fixed that.

Derek Cohen has an excellent tutorial on making your own if you want to save a few bucks. www.inthewoodshop.com

jtk

George Beck
05-17-2011, 2:39 PM
I had never used a bevel up plane (other than a block plane) until about a year and a half ago. I must tell you that the Lie-Nielsen 62 jack is becomming my favorite of all planes. I just find myself reaching for it all of the time. One plane can be a toothing plane, a jack, a shooting board plane, a small jointer and a large smoother. It is really a great tool. I liked it so much I bought the smoother too. Just my 2 cents