PDA

View Full Version : My second attempt at Art.

Ed Morgano
05-15-2011, 3:18 PM
This is my second attempt at art. This time I'm going to wait for the dyes that I have ordered to arrive before I attempt finishing it. The picture isn't good but it will give you an idea. The goblet/vase/globlet (not sure what to call it) is about 14" tall and 3 3/4" at the top. It is made from a glueup of figured maple. Thanks for looking. I'll post more pictures after I get it finished.

Mark Hazelden
05-15-2011, 3:27 PM
Ed,

I think you are developing a nice eye. Please do show up the end results.

Keep it up and have fun.

Jim Burr
05-15-2011, 3:28 PM
Nice job Ed!! Can't wait to see it done.

David DeCristoforo
05-15-2011, 4:32 PM
Uh oh... You're hooked now!!! This is vastly so much better than the first one you posted. A giant leap! This looks really good. Maybe a bit more curve on the cup, and a bit smaller embellishment between the cup and the ball and a touch more curve in the stem. You really nailed the sweep between the stem and the base. Can't wait to see your coloring...

David E Keller
05-15-2011, 5:25 PM
Pretty cool, Ed... It'll be interesting to see it all colored up.

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2011, 5:26 PM
Nice work Ed! I agree with David's assessment on the form. Good general rule to follow when possible - no flat areas. Looking forward to seeing this once completed!

Ed Morgano
05-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'll do a little more work on this one but the cup is done. I was having a close look at the inside and when I got up close and closed off most of the light with my face, I could see light through the wall at one point. I really had no idea it was that thin till I "saw the light". The pedestal is still not attached and the upper part of the pedestal is a separate piece so I might do some more playing around there........ I'll be back. :-)

John Keeton
05-16-2011, 6:48 AM
Ed, I agree on the level of improvement - looking good! I would add a couple of comments - one I believe was mentioned by DD. The flare that sits above the bead is a little large. The elements of the embellishments between the stem and the cup should be progressively larger to transition to the base of the cup. Having the flare larger, and then stepping back down for the cove element is distracting. Also, the extra thickness on the bottom of the base is too much. It could be removed totally and look much better IMO.

Excellent work on your second art piece. You are no longer "attempting" art - you are creating it!! I look forward to the dyed and completed piece.

Tim Thiebaut
05-16-2011, 7:20 AM
Very well done Ed! Looking forward to more art work from you.

Roland Martin
05-16-2011, 7:36 AM
Very nice Ed. Art it is! Like John noted, loosing the extra thickness on the foot would really help. Anxious to see what you do for a finish, thanks for posting.

Ed Morgano
05-23-2011, 5:01 PM
Well, between building an articulated arm and turning a bowl to test it, it's been a while but I finally got back to this. I made some changes as per the suggestions you guys made and finished it. I used a scarlet dye and ebony for the base. C&C always welcome.

David DeCristoforo
05-23-2011, 5:06 PM
Much better with the smaller flair at the top of the stem and the lighter base. The coloring really adds a lot. Save this one. I predict you will have many more to compare it to in the future!

David E Keller
05-23-2011, 8:57 PM
Nice work, Ed. I think the piece really pops with the color, and the few changes you made to the stem really improve the look of the piece. A tiny little nit for my tastes... The pedestal base appears to be thinner than the wall thickness of the form which makes the piece feel a little top heavy to me. I don't know of any 'rules' for this kind of thing, but it's just something that I noticed. There are lots of folks on here who have more experience with proportions on these types of forms, so I'm prepared to be corrected. I think you did a great job on this piece!

John Keeton
05-23-2011, 9:08 PM
Significant improvement, Ed!! The color really helped, too. I think you are well on your way!

Baxter Smith
05-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Very nice job on the coloring Ed!

John Hart
05-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I like it! Great contrasts in the colors, very rich looking, nice curves, it's asking to be picked up, and it has a cool little ball. I'd call it "Stately"

Very nice :)