PDA

View Full Version : FireSteel Handles

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Several of the camping/outdoors forums I visit are very into making fire the old fashion way and they use a lot of these types of firestarters. Plus these make great gifts to family and friends that are into camping. These shoot a shower of sparks that burn at about 5000 degrees F., Left to right they are...

Cocobolo
Cocobolo
Ebony
Catalapa
Cherry
Stabilized Birch
Walnut and Maple
The last 2 are a matched set of firesteel and magnesium rod in Black Walnut.

Jerry Marcantel
05-15-2011, 1:31 PM
Tim, mighty nice pieces, but where's the flint, or are your friends using something other than flint?????? Jerry (in Tucson)

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 1:57 PM
Hi Jerry, these are Ferro rods, you just strike them with the heel of your knife, or a small striker that you get with them, and they throw the sparks. Here is how it works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CWLHlTlxRk

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2011, 6:52 PM
Tim - nice variety of handles! Interesting video!

Donny Lawson
05-15-2011, 9:33 PM
Excellent looking "friestarters". The handles make them look great. Where do you get the rods at? I would like to make a few for myself.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Cool gadget and nice handles to compliment them. Great gifts. Hey Tim, You are becoming a regular turning machine. Lots of production. Keep it going.
faust

Tim Thiebaut
05-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks everone for the great compliments!! You are all very kind!

@ Faust - LOL....thanks Faust but it just seems like I am a turning machine because I save everything up for a month and then take all of my pictures the same day....then flood the forum with pics! Seriously though I do try and turn everyday at least for a little while...so far so good!

@ Donny - I buy them from firesteel.com , dont forget to buy your strikers when you get your firesteels.