PDA

View Full Version : Your pet peeve?

David Larsen
05-15-2011, 9:45 AM
Okay, I admit it. Some people bother me! The first step in therapy is to admit the problem. lol

What are some of your pet peeves?

One of mine is pedestrians that cross the road and make no effort whatsoever to speed up when you are waiting for them to cross. Okay, so maybe crossing the street isn't so bad, but have you ever been at the BORG and people cross the driving lane and walk slower than molasses? (I am not talking elderly, but young able bodied people that just have no common courtesy to get the flip out of the way)

How about people that don't pay attention at a stop light and are still sitting there after the light turns green because they are too caught up in themselves to pay attention.

Thanks. I am glad I got this off my chest! lol

Brian Kent
05-15-2011, 9:55 AM
Talk Show political pundits who make things up each day, get people to repeat it, and call it truth.

Tim Boger
05-15-2011, 9:55 AM
1) Folks the can't seem to stay with the flow of traffic.
2) Using the phone while driving .... if you're capable of doing it safely then that's fine, however, so many are not and those are truly a hazard. That peeves me off.

Gary Max
05-15-2011, 10:21 AM
People to lazy to work for a living ---the ones who would rather sit on their hands and wait for thier montly payday.

Yup--I feel better

Lloyd Kerry
05-15-2011, 10:36 AM
...how about drivers that don't stop for pedestrians at crosswalks, but will stop for jaywalkers???

John Coloccia
05-15-2011, 10:36 AM
I have too many to mention. I've developed what I think is a healthy, though general, disdain for most people. My wife is a psychologist. She had a general love for people but as time goes on she's coming around to my point of view. I think there are generally too many people packed in too tightly and it makes people act like idiots...anonymity makes people act like idiots, pushing everyone of my myriad peeves in rapid succession. They may be wonderful people, but in a crowd at the grocery store, they're just one more obstacle, with irritating habits, standing between me and my blessed, quiet home off in the woods.

Gary Hodgin
05-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Talk Show political pundits who make things up each day, get people to repeat it, and call it truth.

+1 Those shows are similar to those forwarded emails. To bad, there's no equivalent of Snopes.

Greg Peterson
05-15-2011, 11:07 AM
+1.

I heard it on the radio or saw on the TV so it has to be true. Really! Why would they make this stuff up?

2nd Pet Peeve -

Pedestrians that enter the cross walk on the Don't Walk sign. They haven't figured out this is the pedestrians version a yellow light. I've sat at many a light in downtown Portland trying to make a (legal) turn on a red light only to have to wait for a pedestrian that entered the crossing on Don't Walk. I'm convinced the majority a clueless.

Matt Meiser
05-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Telemarketers. Though I recently found out a way to actually strike back and three have actually sent me checks (one more than once) as well as apology letters signed by the CEO/president/owner. So that peeve might be turning into a hobby. :D

glenn bradley
05-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Oh my, there are sooooo many. I'll spring off the "slow pedestrians" you mentioned in the OP. The folks who walk down the middle of the "road" in parking lots kill me. Where were they raised that they are unaware that parking lots are for pedestrians AND cars. There is plenty of room. Just move to the side! :eek:

Oh, and crosswalks? I work on a University campus. The future leaders of our world are a bunch of lame-o's when it comes to personal safety The number of near misses I see is unbelievable. I'll bet 5% of them don't make it to graduation due to physical injury :D:D:D

Oh, and telemarketers? I pretend I am interested for about 15 seconds and then ask them to hold on; I go back to whatever I was doing and then hang the phone up the next time I think about it. I really don't get many telemarketer calls any more (???).

Ken Garlock
05-15-2011, 12:05 PM
The police! I support their doing their job, but it seems that they go out of their way at an accident to just gum things up. You end up with about 4 or 5 police cars arriving at the scene with the sole goal of seeing how much of the highway they can block. And then, most of them stand around watching the emts work or the wreckers load the vehicle.

Yes, they should be sure that there is no further accidents due to the initial one. But, in most cases they can and should DIRECT TRAFFIC AROUND the scene, not further complicate the environment. Police cruisers should have flashing lights that say maintain 20 mph or 30 or 40 mph. I agree that there are dire cases where this is not possible, and traffic must be stopped, but I suspect that is less than 10%.

I feel better already.

Michael Weber
05-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Impatient drivers who think pedestrians are just in the way of their right to drive totally unimpeded. Whats up with those people? ;)

David Larsen
05-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I have too many to mention. I've developed what I think is a healthy, though general, disdain for most people. My wife is a psychologist. She had a general love for people but as time goes on she's coming around to my point of view. I think there are generally too many people packed in too tightly and it makes people act like idiots...anonymity makes people act like idiots, pushing everyone of my myriad peeves in rapid succession. They may be wonderful people, but in a crowd at the grocery store, they're just one more obstacle, with irritating habits, standing between me and my blessed, quiet home off in the woods.

I feel better that I am not the only one that feels this way!

And... to the list, I would like to add people on the freeway that do not know how to merge when they are approaching from an on-ramp. It is their responsibility to yield, but they just seem to pull in wherever they want and cause the people on the freeway to have to move over or slow down to avoid hitting them. Yes, moving over is polite, but if people knew how to merge it wouldn't be necessary!

Belinda Barfield
05-15-2011, 2:33 PM

Ditto . . . except that I don't have a wife or a quiet home in the woods.

Additionally, baby strollers. I know, I'm a terrible person.

People who insist on talking on the phone while grocery shopping.

Parents who allow their children to scream and yell for no good reason. In my book there are very few good reasons other than fire or personal injury.

Bill Edwards(2)
05-15-2011, 2:38 PM
Dog, cat, monkey, hampster... rock.

Can't say I ever owned a peeve.:D

Steve Griffin
05-15-2011, 2:44 PM
RV Art.

You know, the huge swooshy colored designs on the sides of campers and RV's.

I don't know why it bothers me so much--maybe because it seems so tacky and artistically lazy.

-Steve

Myk Rian
05-15-2011, 3:06 PM
Telemarketers. Though I recently found out a way to actually strike back and three have actually sent me checks
OK Matt. You have GOT to share that one with us.

Rick Gooden
05-15-2011, 3:37 PM
People that are too lazy and inconsiderate to take their shopping carts to the "corral", for some reason this really irks me.

Matt Meiser
05-15-2011, 3:54 PM
OK Matt. You have GOT to share that one with us.

If they are at all deceptive or rude about getting me off their list immediately or call back after 1 call, I file a BBB complaint against them, request a copy of their Do Not Call Policy, a written apology from the president/ceo/owner, and payment for the inconvenience. I make reference to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 and tell them that if they don't comply, I may pursue legal action against them. The checks are nice, the time of theirs wasted cutting the check, writing and signing the letter, etc are the real reward. For all I know the signatures are fake, but someone still has to spend time dealing with the whole thing.

On one, they denied making further calls after complying with the above--I also got cc'd on an email from the BBB to the CEO basically giving them the smackdown and telling them they needed to "try harder" at their response.

Bruce Volden
05-15-2011, 4:07 PM
I have 2 pet peeves that immediately come to mind. #1---Litter in the ditches-I live in a rural area and you wouldn't beleive the amount of beer cans we pick up routinely!! #2---If the speed limit is 65mph, try going it-not 57mph. These are the same drivers who, when getting to town, drive much faster than the posted speed limit AND try to make every yellow light!

Bruce

Steve Griffin
05-15-2011, 4:08 PM
People that are too lazy and inconsiderate to take their shopping carts to the "corral", for some reason this really irks me.

HAH! I've named this the shopping cart test. When we travel, it's a good indicator of the quality of people in the town by how they take care of the carts.
It really does vary from place to place.

-Steve

Dan Hintz
05-15-2011, 4:21 PM
Yep, I'm pretty much a misanthrope, so it doesn't take much to push me over the edge these days. I will say, however, I've learned to have a great deal more patience as I get older than I had in my youth. I have also slowly turned my wife into a misanthrope as I get her to realize just how stupid and self-important some people's actions can be... she was oblivious to the truth before she met me :D

Greg Peterson
05-15-2011, 4:21 PM
Shopping carts! Yes. Talk about the height of laziness and selfishness. It's almost up there with folks that dump their ashtrays in the parking lot. Or folks that think once they throw their cigarette butt out the car window it magically disappears. Then again, these folks do serve a purpose; they mark the center of the universe.

Bruce Page
05-15-2011, 5:19 PM
Taking my moderator hat off..

Boy, there’s a lot of thin skinned, impatient people here. For someone to boast of being a misanthrope, (a person who hates or distrusts humankind) just blows me away.
Take a deep breath, it’s time to chill.

John Coloccia
05-15-2011, 5:43 PM

Boy, there’s a lot of thin skinned, impatient people here. For someone to boast of being a misanthrope, (a person who hates or distrusts humankind) just blows me away.

With all due respect, the only one here so far who's turned this personal is you. I think the rest of us are enjoying a silly thread.

Take a deep breath, it's time to chill.

Good idea.

Bruce Page
05-15-2011, 6:41 PM
With all due respect, the only one here so far who's turned this personal is you. I think the rest of us are enjoying a silly thread.

Yeah, you may be right, but sometimes you just have to say something.

Caspar Hauser
05-15-2011, 6:55 PM
Supermarkets which fill their aisles with cardboard displays/shelves leaving a teetering bottle-necking slalom, booby trapped with jutting coupon dispensers.

It's Erudite not Eri-udite.

Adding sales tax at the till making the shelf price deceptive and providing endless opportunities for entertaining embarrassment.

Time Warner Cable.

Oh yeah, David Caruso.

and the New England/Franklin Mint...certificate of authenticity......

Dan Friedrichs
05-15-2011, 6:55 PM
I've developed what I think is a healthy, though general, disdain for most people.

John, I cannot even express how much I like this :)

Although, where I grew up (a much more rural setting than where I live now), the prevailing interpersonal attitudes were much different. I think it's related to the "too many people" problem you cited. It becomes much too easy to adopt the attitude that "it's someone else's problem" when there are so many people.

Jim Mattheiss
05-15-2011, 7:10 PM
Wow - a bunch of cranky folks who generally dislike the rest of humanity - these are my people!

I used to let people ANNOY me - but my 2011 Resolution is to let their antics AMUSE me.

So far so good.

Cheers

Jim

Brian Elfert
05-15-2011, 7:34 PM
I have 2 pet peeves that immediately come to mind. #1---Litter in the ditches-I live in a rural area and you wouldn't beleive the amount of beer cans we pick up routinely!! #2---If the speed limit is 65mph, try going it-not 57mph. These are the same drivers who, when getting to town, drive much faster than the posted speed limit AND try to make every yellow light!

The speed limit is a LIMIT, not a minimum! Now, I personally will always go at or above the limit except when driving my 38,000 lb motorhome. I don't drive the motorhome at more than 65 MPH for fuel economy and safety.

A pet peeve of mine is people tailgating me when I'm already over the speed limit. I live on a street posted at 30 MPH. Drivers are routinely doing 35 to 40 MPH. One day I was driving at 35 MPH and someone passed me. Now, passing on a city street is just plain stupid! I've had people tailgate me on 4 lane highways when they could just pass me in the empty left lane.

Steve Griffin
05-15-2011, 7:40 PM
I like generally like all people, especially after you get to know them. Except "ALLEN".

You know, the guy who invented the set screw? At least half of my mechanical problems in the shop involve those little hex screws. They are constantly striping, letting loose, or breaking or otherwise failing. I say we find out where Allen lives and a bunch of creekers repel from helicopters in his back yard, storm his house, stick allen keys all over his body with honey and drop him off at the local bee farm.

-Steve

David Larsen
05-15-2011, 9:58 PM
Boy, there’s a lot of thin skinned, impatient people here. For someone to boast of being a misanthrope, (a person who hates or distrusts humankind) just blows me away. Take a deep breath, it’s time to chill.

I would have to put myself pretty close to the misanthrope family too. I have been around long enough to see the bad in the best of people. Yes, there are good people out there, but many are few and far between.

Jim Rimmer
05-15-2011, 10:22 PM
People who leave a public gathering (church, movies, public meetings, etc) take one step outside the door and decide to have a long conversation with an old friend they haven't seen in a while. Meanwhile, no one else can get out the door.

Backpacks, or at least the people who wear them and think they are still the same size they were before they put it on and bang into you with it, especially while boarding airplanes.

Bryan Morgan
05-15-2011, 10:39 PM
The internet doesn't have enough storage space to list all my peeves. They all have one thing in common though: people. :)

Jim O'Dell
05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
I've been wanting to get this one off my chest for a while. If you have voice mail and I leave you a message, listen to it before you call me back. It's stupid to have a system where someone takes the time to leave you a personal message, then call them back off the caller ID without listening to the message. It wastes both your and my time. If you don't want to listen to messages, then turn the voice mail off. There. I feel better. At least until a customer does this to me again tomorrow. :rolleyes: Jim.

Belinda Barfield
05-16-2011, 6:39 AM

Add this to my list as well. Also, people who push the cart to the bus stop and leave it there. I just noticed the shopping cart thing locally in the past two years. Every time I go to the store I feel compelled to gather up all of the stray carts. I just can't help myself. Heck, sometimes I even return my cart to the store. One day when I was rounding up stray carts a guy asked "Are you this anal about everything?" I bit my tongue, smiled sweetly, and replied "Yes I am." It's a sickness!

Belinda Barfield
05-16-2011, 6:50 AM
Just thought of another one . . . when my SO doesn't place the CDs back in alphabetical order by artist. Sigh . . . I'm just pathetic.

Jason Roehl
05-16-2011, 8:24 AM
Just thought of another one . . . when my SO doesn't place the CDs back in alphabetical order by artist. Sigh . . . I'm just pathetic.

Belinda, I don't think you have OCD. You have CDO--it's like OCD, except the letters are in order where they belong! ;) You're welcome to visit some of the parking lots I snow plow just before I plow them. I think you'd be cured of your desire to retrieve loose carts very quickly!

I, too, have a number of pet peeves, but I try not to obsess over them. The people who engage in the disrespectful activities listed above are the ones missing out on the joys of being courteous to others around them. You certainly won't win them over by being a misanthropic grouch...

Belinda Barfield
05-16-2011, 8:36 AM
Belinda, I don't think you have OCD. You have CDO--it's like OCD, except the letters are in order where they belong! ;) You're welcome to visit some of the parking lots I snow plow just before I plow them. I think you'd be cured of your desire to retrieve loose carts very quickly!

I, too, have a number of pet peeves, but I try not to obsess over them. The people who engage in the disrespectful activities listed above are the ones missing out on the joys of being courteous to others around them. You certainly won't win them over by being a misanthropic grouch...

You're probably right, Jason. My SO is one of those sunny, eternally optimistic types and I haven't managed to win him over yet.

You're right about the CDO thing also. Never formally diagnosed, and not bad enough that it affects my quality of life, but it sure drives everyone around me nuts after a while. I can either not clean the house, or constantly clean the house. It's something I really struggle with most of the time. I mop the floor, then I see a small speck and feel that I must immediately mop again. Same with dusting, vaccuuming, etc.

Rod Sheridan
05-16-2011, 8:49 AM
Okay, I admit it. Some people bother me! The first step in therapy is to admit the problem. lol

One of mine is pedestrians that cross the road and make no effort whatsoever to speed up when you are waiting for them to cross. lol

Jokingly nick-named Meanderthals.........Rod

Darius Ferlas
05-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't have pet peeves. I have major existential issues with what's going on around here. By here I mean the World.
Can't say more, or they'll lock the thread :)

Ken Garlock
05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
The speed limit is a LIMIT, not a minimum! Now, I personally will always go at or above the limit except when driving my 38,000 lb motorhome. I don't drive the motor-home at more than 65 MPH for fuel economy and safety.

A pet peeve of mine is people tailgating me when I'm already over the speed limit. I live on a street posted at 30 MPH. Drivers are routinely doing 35 to 40 MPH. One day I was driving at 35 MPH and someone passed me. Now, passing on a city street is just plain stupid! I've had people tailgate me on 4 lane highways when they could just pass me in the empty left lane.

Well Brian, I have a couple comments. First off. you must realize that the posted speed limit is a recommendation. Driving route US75 through downtown Dallas at the post limit of 60 will offend the other drivers. I have passed the Dallas cruisers at a little less than 65, and they didn't even blink. Other drivers were passing me. The speed limit on rural highways is 75. One West Texas interstate has a section that is posted at 80 with a bill in the state legislature to make it 85.
Regarding the neighborhood streets posted at 30, I agree with you. The only time I would pass a car on such a street is one that has stopped for some reason, and then only after beeping my horn to alert the other car of my intention to pass.
Another area is school zones. I am very attentive to school zones and I make it a point to limit my speed to around 18. No one is in such a hurry that they can not endure a short stretch at under 20.
Yes tailgating gets to me also. Sometimes a quick tap of the brakes will give them the idea to back off. I had a group of high school girls tail gate me. I gave the the quick tap of the brake, they backed off and then passed me. As they passed, all, 4 or 5, sent me the international sign of ill will, to which I grinned and shook my head in agreement.
One final thought, In Texas is it legal to pass a vehicle on the right, it is called "overtaking." In that same vein, people take advantage of driving in the left lane just as if it is a birth right, now that does irritate me; however, I can pass them on the right.

Charlie Jones
05-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Ordering a tool that was on sale, then they put it on backorder.

Al Wasser
05-16-2011, 1:09 PM
1-- Speeding emergency vehicles that do no have the lights or sirens going.
2-- Actors/actresses who pass themselves off as political experts

John Coloccia
05-16-2011, 1:24 PM
Let's talk about horrible restaurant behavior. LOL...this should be fun. As a rule, my wife and I don't go out to eat anymore, but some time ago we were both very busy and would go out to eat almost every day. We saw every manner of bad behavior I could ever care to see.

Waiters that bring everything out at the same time. No, I really don't want my bread, appetizer, salad and meal all at the same time. Yeah, I know you want your tip NOW. Go away and let me enjoy my meal. It may not be their fault the first or second time it happens. By the third time, they should know what the timing of the kitchen is and take steps to fix it. We now order our appetizer first, should we want one. When we're good and ready, we'll order a meal. Someone has to train these people. I know they're in business to make money. There are plenty of restaurants that treat their patrons well and still make money...maybe they should get into a different business if they can't cut it.

And NO, I'm not still working on that. I'm not digging a hole through my meal, repaving my steak, or even painting my vegetables. I don't "work" on my food. If you would pay attention, I will let you know when I'm done by the correct placement of my silverware. Of course, you guys are training an entire generation to NOT know how to communicate efficiently with their waiters because regardless of how I place my silverware, you come over to me and ask, "Are you still working on that?", to which I respond "No" and you immediately take my silverware off the plate and put it back down on the table, dirtying the table and dirtying my silverware.

I don't care if you don't write down my order. Really....do it however you have to. When it gets botched up and I send it back (not a big deal...mistakes happen) I expect someone back there to prepare the meal properly, not take a knife and scrape off the lettuce and tomato, as well as any sauce and other things that DO belong, and put a soggy, mushed up piece of bread back on my meal. *I* could have done that. What I can't do is re-prepare the bun properly so that it has all the good bits, and none of the bad bits. Get a new bun and get to work. Seriously, I don't want to be here all day sending food back, and you don't want to be serving me all day, so just take an extra 20 seconds and do it right, OK?

And for all you Chinese/Mexican/Thai (especially Thai) restaurants: learn what extra spicy means. Don't give me a scale from one to five when you can't deliver a five (you know, the one with the red letters and a picture of the devil himself in flames?). Seriously....5 should scorch my mouth. I know the game so I order a 6. Sometimes I tell you that if it doesn't make me cry, I won't be happy. What do you bring me? I dunno...when my wife takes a big mouthful and says, "tastes mild to me", we have a serious problem. Cut the nonsense. If you can't do it, say so. It's things like this that you get two chances to get right, and then I never go back.

I don't care if you're wearing shorts, a silly hat and speak with a fake Australian accent - don't ever schooch my wife over and sit down at our booth while taking our order. Yes, that seriously happened to me and I was not amused.

Good heavens, it's so nice to walk into the handful of restaurants we still go to, and just have a decent, quiet meal. No talking moose. No bells ringing when someone orders fajitas. No items with the words Poppin', Bloomin', Flamin' or Sizzlin' in the name. A nice polite waiter or waitress. The food shows up. There's a little something wrong here and there. Whatever. It's all pleasant and there's no reason to say anything. Every now and then, someone refills my wine. We pay and dat's dat. This is sooooo much less work and aggravation for everyone involved. I'm not surprised that the ones we tend to go to have been around for many years, and the aggravating ones (often chains) seem to come and go every couple of years.

:)

David Weaver
05-16-2011, 1:31 PM
- "friends" who think it's OK to hit up people with MLM schemes or "parties" (like candles, kitchenware, etc...). What's even more frustrating is when someone gives you a pitch for something and acts like "oh oh, i just ran into this product". I despise deceptive sales tactics in general. If I have a friend or relative who goes into some random discussion and brings up an MLM or pyramid type herbalife or candle party thing, they are out. Period. Forever.

- most car salespeople. I am buying a car, not entering a contest. I have numbers in mind, questions are yes or no. I don't want to talk about your kids or my kids, and if you switch the subject when I ask a question or answer a different question, one warning, second one, I walk. Lots of people sell cars. (I call ahead now and always notify the sales person I have two sets of keys and they can mail the first set back if they want to play the game where they hold the keys for a long time after the test drive and "don't know where they are, the sales manager has them, and we'll get them back once he's not busy").

- people who claim they are open minded (and make an enormous deal about how open minded they are), as long as your opinion is identical to theirs. If you're closed minded about something, don't be afraid to admit it and don't expect me to be entertained while you argue with me to prove that you're open minded. I don't care.

- people who are terminally late. If you're 15 minutes late the first time, leave 15 minutes earlier next time. It's not that hard, and it's disrespectful, especially if a group of people is waiting for you.

David Weaver
05-16-2011, 1:32 PM
Oh yeah, and the loose loud kids at restaurants. I have a small child. She's loud, she likes to get loose and run around and she is afraid of *nothing*. when we're in a restaurant, I keep her at arm's length and keep her quiet. If it ruins my dinner to keep tabs on her, at least it doesn't dinner for 20 other people.

OH, add another one - parents of bad/exceptionally rude kids who either deny that such a problem exists with their kids, or blames everything their kid gets involved in on someone else. It might be circumstance the first or second time. But if you're kid is in constant trouble, the odds are against you.

Belinda Barfield
05-16-2011, 1:43 PM
Let's talk about horrible restaurant behavior. LOL...this should be fun. As a rule, my wife and I don't go out to eat anymore, but some time ago we were both very busy and would go out to eat almost every day. We saw every manner of bad behavior I could ever care to see.

And NO, I'm not still working on that. I'm not digging a hole through my meal, repaving my steak, or even painting my vegetables. I don't "work" on my food. If you would pay attention, I will let you know when I'm done by the correct placement of my silverware. Of course, you guys are training an entire generation to NOT know how to communicate efficiently with their waiters because regardless of how I place my silverware, you come over to me and ask, "Are you still working on that?", to which I respond "No" and you immediately take my silverware off the plate and put it back down on the table, dirtying the table and dirtying my silverware.

And for all you Chinese/Mexican/Thai (especially Thai) restaurants: learn what extra spicy means. Don't give me a scale from one to five when you can't deliver a five (you know, the one with the red letters and a picture of the devil himself in flames?). Seriously....5 should scorch my mouth. I know the game so I order a 6. Sometimes I tell you that if it doesn't make me cry, I won't be happy. What do you bring me? I dunno...when my wife takes a big mouthful and says, "tastes mild to me", we have a serious problem. Cut the nonsense. If you can't do it, say so. It's things like this that you get two chances to get right, and then I never go back.

I don't care if you're wearing shorts, a silly hat and speak with a fake Australian accent - don't ever schooch my wife over and sit down at our booth while taking our order. Yes, that seriously happened to me and I was not amused.

Good heavens, it's so nice to walk into the handful of restaurants we still go to, and just have a decent, quiet meal. No talking moose. No bells ringing when someone orders fajitas. No items with the words Poppin', Bloomin', Flamin' or Sizzlin' in the name. A nice polite waiter or waitress. The food shows up. There's a little something wrong here and there. Whatever. It's all pleasant and there's no reason to say anything. Every now and then, someone refills my wine. We pay and dat's dat. This is sooooo much less work and aggravation for everyone involved. I'm not surprised that the ones we tend to go to have been around for many years, and the aggravating ones (often chains) seem to come and go every couple of years.

Thanks for the laughs, John. I don't work on my meals either. That schooch over so I can sit with you thing irritates the heck out of me as well.

Televisions in eating establishments . . . I still don't understand why that is the norm.

Peeve - people who sit at the bar and talk to everyone they know on their cell.

Bill Edwards(2)
05-16-2011, 1:54 PM

That didn't happen to anybody else that went to the Outback!;)

I think they've pretty much quit that practice since they found out

how uptight most of America is.:D

John Hart
05-16-2011, 1:54 PM
I hate people who, when you are frying a pan full of bacon in your pajamas, they sneak up behind you and grab the pan and dump the hot grease all over you....then they laugh!!!

That just ticks me off

Belinda Barfield
05-16-2011, 2:05 PM
That didn't happen to anybody else that went to the Outback!;)

I think they've pretty much quit that practice since they found out

how uptight most of America is.:D

Nope, they still do it here. I eat there at least once a week.

I hate people who, when you are frying a pan full of bacon in your pajamas, they sneak up behind you and grab the pan and dump the hot grease all over you....then they laugh!!!

That just ticks me off

Well I think you speak for all of us on this one John.

Marty Paulus
05-16-2011, 2:26 PM

Waiters that bring everything out at the same time. No, I really don't want my bread, appetizer, salad and meal all at the same time. Yeah, I know you want your tip NOW. Go away and let me enjoy my meal. It may not be their fault the first or second time it happens. By the third time, they should know what the timing of the kitchen is and take steps to fix it. We now order our appetizer first, should we want one. When we're good and ready, we'll order a meal. Someone has to train these people. I know they're in business to make money. There are plenty of restaurants that treat their patrons well and still make money...maybe they should get into a different business if they can't cut it.

I don't care if you don't write down my order. Really....do it however you have to. When it gets botched up and I send it back (not a big deal...mistakes happen) I expect someone back there to prepare the meal properly, not take a knife and scrape off the lettuce and tomato, as well as any sauce and other things that DO belong, and put a soggy, mushed up piece of bread back on my meal. *I* could have done that. What I can't do is re-prepare the bun properly so that it has all the good bits, and none of the bad bits. Get a new bun and get to work. Seriously, I don't want to be here all day sending food back, and you don't want to be serving me all day, so just take an extra 20 seconds and do it right, OK?

When did people forget that how you place your silverware tells your server you are done eating? Most servers don't have a clue.

Seems as basic to me as someone actually counting change back to you correctly! I can count how often that happens to me in a year on one hand! Maybe I am getting old grouchy but really what are we teaching the next generation? We had some friends over yesterday that just finished with a Confirmation for their nephew. The topic of conversation for us was the kids lack of table manners. Not bad but none existant. The mothers excuse was 'we eat a lot of meals in the car due to the busy schedule of the kids sports so they don't get to use their manners often'. I am sorry folks but if you kids schedule is that busy then you have issues.

David Hostetler
05-16-2011, 2:32 PM
If I respond honestly to this, they will either lock this thread, or lock me up, so I'll pass thank you very much...

David Larsen
05-16-2011, 2:57 PM
People who leave a public gathering (church, movies, public meetings, etc) take one step outside the door and decide to have a long conversation with an old friend they haven't seen in a while. Meanwhile, no one else can get out the door.

Or the variation of this where the people are in the middle of an aisle at a shopping center.

Dan Hintz
05-16-2011, 4:57 PM
John,

When SWMBO and I go somewhere, we order the appetizers and meal in the same spiel, but we also specify to hold out on putting in the dinner order until the appetizer comes out. This is usually enough time. We also have our favorite restaurants where the wait staff knows us, and we know them by name... poor service isn't rewarded, but great service is rewarded highly. It's like being on a short cruise... they know how to laugh and have a good time with us, while still managing to get us exactly what we want, even going so far as anticipating what we'll ask for next and having it ready.

Sometimes it pays to foster the right attitude in the waitstaff...

Doug Shepard
05-16-2011, 6:51 PM
This one peeves me off once a week, usually multiple times on the same trip to the grocery store.
I really hate aisle-hogs. While searching shelves on one side of the aisle, they leave their cart parked on the opposite side of the aisle forcing everyone else to bottleneck through the narrow gap in the middle that they've left. Fer Godsake - pull yer carts over to the same side of the aisle that yer standing on ya morons.

dave toney
05-16-2011, 8:34 PM
Acronyms.
The art of writing and spelling is disappearing.
Even in message boards like this, it is like trying to decipher a text message.
S P E L L I T O U T P L E A S E !

Scott Shepherd
05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
People that go into fast food restaurants and think they are ordering from a 5 star establishment.

On the Menu :

Chicken Sandwich (comes with lettuce, tomato, something else) - $2.99

What's ordered? Chicken Sandwich with two top buns, no bottom bun wanted, put some cheese on it, then bacon, and can you cut that in half? Oh, and toast those two top buns lightly, but don't burn then, and can I get the tomato on the side, cut into 3 pieces?

Oh, and I want fries with that too, but I want my fries crispy.

Drives me insane!

I just got back from one of those trips. The special was "2 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits for $3.00".

They wanted 2 bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits without any biscuit. Well then, it's NOT a bacon, egg, and cheese BISCUIT if you don't want the biscuit, is it? Is it really THAT hard to throw the biscuit in the trash if you don't want it?

Kent A Bathurst
05-17-2011, 12:57 PM
1) people that get to the airport convenience store's cash register, after standing in line for 3 mintues to check out, with one bottle of water, two magazines, and a bag of trail mix, and then start to search for $$, to eventually find they don't have that much cash - including sorting through the coins, and their secret emergency cash hidey-holes they emptied 4 days earlier - and then dig out a credit card, and then put the card away, and put away the little bit of money they had found, and then file the receipt in some place they keep receipts, and then carefully put the wallet/purse away, and then carefullly put the magazines in a special magazine holding spot in a zipped-closed pocket on one of their bags, and ...............for cryin' out loud - did you not realize that you were going to have to pay for that stuff as you were pulling it off the shelves? Do you think our mission in life is to stand in line at airport convenience stores?

2) gentlemen that leave the men's room in the airport, and stop....right.....there....to fool around with their boarding pass, or whatever - blocking ingress and egress to one of the most critical functions provided by airports. Just bowl-em' over and say "pardon me" as you move down the concourse....These guys have close relatives that exit the escalator or moving sidewalk and stand...right....there... as they look at their boarding pass and look around to try and decipher the gate signs, while the nomadic hordes of Genghis Kahn are pouring off the escalator/moving sidewalk.

3) expensive crosscut handsaws that are not educated enough to follow the dad-gum straight line scored by the marking knife.

Lori Kleinberg
05-17-2011, 1:46 PM
I also have too many peeves to list and couldn't properly describe then in a polite language, so I will sum it up by saying "The more people I meet the more I like animals (as in dogs, cats, horses, ferrets, etc, etc, etc)".

Brian Tymchak
05-17-2011, 1:58 PM
1) people that get to the airport convenience store's cash register, after standing in line for 3 mintues to check out, with one bottle of water, two magazines, and a bag of trail mix, and then start to search for $$, ....

Yea, that one reallys frosts me too, about 3 times a day at our work cafeteria. People will stand 5 deep in line, and then, once they get to the register, wait to get the total before they start to dig out the wallet... and then carry on a conversation while they're looking, holding up the next 5 in line while they pass the time of day...

Dan Hintz
05-17-2011, 2:49 PM
I also have too many peeves to list and couldn't properly describe then in a polite language, so I will sum it up by saying "The more people I meet the more I like animals (as in dogs, cats, horses, ferrets, etc, etc, etc)".
Ahhh, welcome to the world of misanthropes, Lori... evidently we're a growing (and despised) breed.

Neal Clayton
05-17-2011, 2:56 PM

i'm the opposite. unapologetic city person.

if i can't hear sirens, helicopters, etc. at night i have trouble sleeping, because it's too quiet.

John Coloccia
05-17-2011, 5:07 PM
i'm the opposite. unapologetic city person.

if i can't hear sirens, helicopters, etc. at night i have trouble sleeping, because it's too quiet.

I grew up in Yonkers. I was just like this at one time. When I moved to Pensylvania for graduate school, my apartment was pretty close to a cemetery. A girlfriend asked if it bothered me living so close to all those dead people. I laughed and told her it's the live ones that worry me. :)

Those two years in the Pocanos gave me a new perspective on things. I'm much nicer a more relaxed now...LOL.

mickey cassiba
05-18-2011, 7:13 PM
Well now...had to think on this one, so many came to mind!
Gary Max's jumped right up front, 'cept now I one of those folks waiting on my check. Not sittin' on my hands by any stretch, working off my lot rent, sellin' off un-necessaries, and cuttin' back all around.
I am definitely with the misanthrope crowd...my little dog is the smartest person I know! Most horses could navigate McAllen traffic better than the folk behind the wheels of the little 'point and shoot' cars 'round here.
Next up on my hit list are the 'ambulance chasers'. Now I'm not talkin' about honest attorneys, and judges, I mean the ones with the banner ads on bus benches, the transformer robot commercials on the TV, and the ones with handles like the 'Strong Arm' promising you hundreds of thousands of dollars for an accident that was probably your fault in the first place.
Folks that mindlessly 'flip' email jokes, and stories also crawl up my spine...'specially when their whole contact list appears at the top of the email. I'm on that list...doggone it. Google BCC...please.
Hey, I'm starting to feel pretty good!
Let's not even go into parking lot behavior...or checkout line, post office, or gas station manners.
Too bad Mitchell's not here, this thread could be really fun

Dan Hintz
05-19-2011, 7:00 AM
...'specially when their whole contact list appears at the top of the email. I'm on that list...doggone it. Google BCC...please.
<chuckle> We had a fun run here at work for several hours. Using the usual mailing groups, a general request was sent around for personal info (SS, DOB, child names, etc.) to be faxed or hand-delivered to HR for insurance purposes. Needless to say, some hit "reply all" and attached documents (like marriage and birth certificates).

Oh, but it gets better. Then we got the group of people who said "I don't know how I got on this mailing list, please remove me." Of course, they used "reply all", too. <sigh> This started another wave of "Stop sending me emails... remove me from this list!", again using "reply all". Then came the barrage of "People, stop using <reply all> when responding to messages!", yep, also using "reply all". And this went on for the better part of the work day.

And none of it would have happened if the halfwits who sent the original group emails would put the group list on the BCC line. Proving, once again, no matter how intelligent the group of people may be (we're talking thousands of members here, mostly engineers of all sorts), basic technology can completely befuddle them.

John Coloccia
05-19-2011, 7:25 AM
"History made everyday" as a legitimate excuse to put anything they want on the History channel. Then people wonder why I don't watch TV.

Rick Potter
05-20-2011, 7:51 PM
How about a woman in line at McDonalds with six kids in tow. Finally gets to head of line, turns, and asks the kids what they want, finally gets it straight, they discuss and change a couple orders, then when she gets the bill, acts like she never thought of getting ready with her money out, and by the way...here is a coupon that's outdated. Is it still ok?

Actually, another of my favorites is really mild, but I just don't understand it.. A neighbor has a new BMW, and an almost new Suburban, both in 'wash me' black. Both cars (about $90,000 worth) sit outside all the time, while a pile of junk worth about $100 in a yard sale takes up the whole garage.

Rick Potter

Neal Clayton
05-21-2011, 1:02 PM
Actually, another of my favorites is really mild, but I just don't understand it.. A neighbor has a new BMW, and an almost new Suburban, both in 'wash me' black. Both cars (about $90,000 worth) sit outside all the time, while a pile of junk worth about $100 in a yard sale takes up the whole garage.

Rick Potter

and especially the ones who have jet black front wheels from brake dust because they have never, not once, washed the car.

Damon Stathatos
05-21-2011, 2:24 PM
At a stoplight, those who stop well behind the car in front of them and then continue to intermittently 'creep' up while waiting. Great...now everyone in line behind this bonehead, one by one, gets to creep as well, otherwise adopt the 'great divide' originally established by said bonehead.

Drivers who permanently adopt anyone in the lane right next to them, matching speed no matter what, until they reach their final destination. The 'klingon' has a lane wide-open in front of him but refuses to break up the herd or pack.

Sitting anywhere in the vicinity of someone who is compelled to unendingly either bounce their leg up and down or wag their foot with legs crossed. Don't even get me started on back-of-the-chair kickers.

I never realized that there was an actual term, misanthrope, to properly describe me. Since it's an actual term, that means I'm not the only one and somehow, that makes me feel better.

Kent A Bathurst
05-21-2011, 3:27 PM
and especially the ones who have jet black front wheels from brake dust because they have never, not once, washed the car.

Well - the famous BMW brake dust takes only a couple hundred miles to recoat the wheels......but still - jet black is a bit over the top.

I'm more peeved at BMW's with automatics- I think they should make only standard transmissions - if someone needs a high-end car with an automatic, that's why they invented the Lexus......:D

David Larsen
05-21-2011, 6:23 PM
Does anyone want to start a new forum called "Misanthrope Creek" ? LOL

I will sign up!

We can all sit around and talk about how much we hate the majority of the human race!

Neal Clayton
05-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Well - the famous BMW brake dust takes only a couple hundred miles to recoat the wheels......but still - jet black is a bit over the top.

I'm more peeved at BMW's with automatics- I think they should make only standard transmissions - if someone needs a high-end car with an automatic, that's why they invented the Lexus......:D

or mercs. i have a merc, and you can't get a merc sedan with a standard transmission. it's supposed to be a sedan, so that's what it is.

but i agree on BMWs, if i wanted a sports car i would get one with a manual.

Bryan Morgan
05-22-2011, 12:23 AM

BMWs and Mercedes are both a peeve of mine... Where I live, every other car is one of these, and not one single person knows how to drive them or drives them like they are rulers of the world. I think the turn signals are just for external aesthetics, I've never seen one actually function and I think the front end has some big ultra powerful magnet in it as they are always inches away from the car in front of them.

Kent A Bathurst
05-22-2011, 8:03 AM
BMWs and Mercedes are both a peeve of mine... Where I live, every other car is one of these, and not one single person knows how to drive them or drives them like they are rulers of the world. I think the turn signals are just for external aesthetics, I've never seen one actually function and I think the front end has some big ultra powerful magnet in it as they are always inches away from the car in front of them.

Bryan - you'e in So Cal, right? And you're giving us this news flash that there are a lot of jerks and dilletantes there? Quick - gimme a pencil - I gotta make a note of this one.....:D:D.

That is SOOOO unlike the northern part of Atlanta :p :p What we've got here are the "Buckhead Babes"... blonde trophy-wife style in a silver German SUV, cell phone in one hand, eyeliner pencil in the other, no hands left for the wheel - much less turn signal - looking at herself in the rearview, cruising down 6-lane Peachtree Street, oblivious.

Belinda Barfield
05-22-2011, 9:54 AM
That is SOOOO unlike the northern part of Atlanta :p :p What we've got here are the "Buckhead Babes"... blonde trophy-wife style in a silver German SUV, cell phone in one hand, eyeliner pencil in the other, no hands left for the wheel - much less turn signal - looking at herself in the rearview, cruising down 6-lane Peachtree Street, oblivious.

Buckhead Babes - you gotta' love 'em. They are preferable to, and less dangerous than, some Savannah drivers. I have actually watched a female dump truck driver talking on her cell phone and eating an Egg McMuffin while driving. I have no idea how she shifted gears. She didn't bother with the eyeliner. Women who apply make up on the way to wherever irritate me as well.

Damon Stathatos
05-22-2011, 4:44 PM
I realize that I'm a bit late to the party but here are a few more...

The epitome of mindless - gum snappers (what could possibly be in these people's minds?)

The epitome of disgusting - people who use nail clippers in public (what... you tired of picking up fingernail fragments at home? Your nails grow since this morning?)

The epitome of clueless - people who bathe in sewer-water that they consider perfume (somebody dear to them really needs to clue them in).

There are moments that I actually wish I was like some of these people because if I were, what in the world would POSSIBLY bother me...a cure for my misanthropy? I consider the advantages of being completely oblivious...but then again, these thoughts pass fairly quickly.

Yes, a forum dedicated to misanthropes...sign me up.

John Coloccia
05-22-2011, 5:38 PM
Does anyone want to start a new forum called "Misanthrope Creek" ? LOL

I will sign up!

We can all sit around and talk about how much we hate the majority of the human race!

I've been thinking about it, but then I think to myself "Do I really want to have to deal with all those people every day?"

Jason Roehl
05-22-2011, 7:40 PM
Ok, I've succumbed. I just spent a couple hours on the road going to and from my wife's cousin's H.S. graduation open house. I was reminded of one of my pet peeves--people who mow their ditches, blowing the grass onto the road, WITHOUT ANY SORT OF DEFLECTOR IN PLACE. As a cyclist, I'm hyper-aware of this practice so that I can take care of #1, but I've also been hit in the face with flying debris while driving by in a vehicle with an open window. Thankfully, I've never been injured nor hit in the eyes, but it was close.

On the week-long bike tour I took two weeks ago, I did actually see probably 3 different people who were aware that us cyclists were approaching, so they stopped and shut their blades off until we passed. I shouted, "Thank you!" to each of them... At least SOME people are still considerate.

Darius Ferlas
05-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Buckhead Babes - you gotta' love 'em. They are preferable to, and less dangerous than, some Savannah drivers. I have actually watched a female dump truck driver talking on her cell phone and eating an Egg McMuffin while driving. I have no idea how she shifted gears. She didn't bother with the eyeliner. Women who apply make up on the way to wherever irritate me as well.

You ain't seen nothing until you see how Italians drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CKYf6MSb-A

The above is not unusual. In Italy it just makes sense to take a train, since even their bus drivers are a little unsafe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCFgsn8HcKA

Rick Gibson
05-23-2011, 3:10 PM
I used to hate the ones coming on to a 4 lane highway, they have an on ramp nearly 1/2 mile long and they still pull out in front of you doing 20mph or more slower than the traffic. Doesn't bother me as much now since I retired and moved to a small town that doesn't even have a stop light.

John Fabre
05-23-2011, 4:40 PM
I can't stand people kicking my seat, talking (making sound effects) letting you know what's going to happen next or using cells phones in movie theaters.

Bryan Morgan
05-23-2011, 11:51 PM
I used to hate the ones coming on to a 4 lane highway, they have an on ramp nearly 1/2 mile long and they still pull out in front of you doing 20mph or more slower than the traffic. Doesn't bother me as much now since I retired and moved to a small town that doesn't even have a stop light.

I see this a LOT lately... somebody came on the TV and told everyone to inflate their tires and don't accelerate so hard getting on the freeway to save fuel... Now all these geniuses think that rolling on the freeway doing 45mph when everyone else is doing 70+mph and somehow "saving fuel" is better than being splattered and possibly wind up dead. I guess being dead saves you a significant amount of fuel...

Mike Cruz
05-31-2011, 4:21 PM
Lori, I'm right there with ya! My wife doesn't warn me that I will become a grumpy old man, she tells me am one NOW! And I have so many peeves that it is hard to know where to start...

My wife had a bumper sticker in her early driving years that said, "Stupid people piss me off". That is one of my mottos...

Pet peeve #2 is people that get in their cars in parking lots, see that you are waiting for them to get their lazy butts out of the spot so you can get in, YET they take what seems like forever and take their sweeeeeeeeeet time...getting in, putting down their stuff, organizing everything, starting the car, tuning in the radio, putting on their seat belt (okay, I'll give 'em that one), then finally backing up. No, they stopped to place a cell phone call. Noooooooooooow, they are backing up. With one hand because the other is on the phone. They are trying to back up while talking. (Falls in the same catagory as walking and chewing gum at the same time.) They have 10 more feet to go before they would even come CLOSE to the cars parked behind them. But because they are concentrating more on the call than backing up, they stop, and go forward a little. Then back up. Stop WAY short, and do this process over and over until my head explodes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll stop there...I might be getting a little too passionate. :)

Belinda Barfield
05-31-2011, 4:36 PM
Went to the mall today, huh Mike?:D

My pet peeve for the weekend. Our condo complex allows two guests per unit at the pool, escorted. Residents have first claim to pool chairs. For the past three weekends a new neighbor has invited her friends to come to our pool Four moms, three dads, eight children, umpteen floats and balls and toys. This totally disrupted my quality Jack and Coke time by the pool. Not to mention how happy I was to be sprayed in the face with a water gun. On their first trip to the pool one of the visiting kids pooped in the kiddie pool, which then had to be closed, drained, sanitized, and refilled.

Joe Angrisani
05-31-2011, 6:05 PM
My pet peeve for the weekend. Our condo complex allows two guests per unit at the pool, escorted. Residents have first claim to pool chairs. For the past three weekends a new neighbor has invited her friends to come to our pool Four moms, three dads, eight children, umpteen floats and balls and toys. This totally disrupted my quality Jack and Coke time by the pool. Not to mention how happy I was to be sprayed in the face with a water gun. On their first trip to the pool one of the visiting kids pooped in the kiddie pool, which then had to be closed, drained, sanitized, and refilled.

Oh, no! The dreaded Code Brown!

Sounds like you need to have a little chat with the condo association folks....

Mike Cruz
05-31-2011, 7:46 PM
Sure it wasn't a Baby Ruth, Belinda? Where's the grounds keeper when you need him?...

Belinda Barfield
06-01-2011, 7:45 AM
Oh, no! The dreaded Code Brown!

Sounds like you need to have a little chat with the condo association folks....

The "reminder" letter went out yesterday listing all of the rules. Not sure what good that will do but at least it is something.

Sure it wasn't a Baby Ruth, Belinda? Where's the grounds keeper when you need him?...

Yep, positive it wasn't a Baby Ruth.

Ole Anderson
06-01-2011, 2:32 PM
- People who pull out in front of you close enough that you need to hit the brakes, and then are in no hurry to speed up.
- People who are going just below the speed limit on a curvy or hilly 2 lane road, and as soon as they see the "Passing Lane Ahead" sign speed up to +10, only to resume minus 2 as soon as the lane ends.
- People who drive in the left lane when they are not passing, turning left or going +5, effectively keeping people from passing those rightfully in the right lane. Can this be as much as half of the population? We need more "keep right except to pass" signs.

Karl Card
06-01-2011, 2:44 PM

One of mine is pedestrians that cross the road and make no effort whatsoever to speed up when you are waiting for them to cross. Okay, so maybe crossing the street isn't so bad, but have you ever been at the BORG and people cross the driving lane and walk slower than molasses? (I am not talking elderly, but young able bodied people that just have no common courtesy to get the flip out of the way)

How about people that don't pay attention at a stop light and are still sitting there after the light turns green because they are too caught up in themselves to pay attention.

Thanks. I am glad I got this off my chest! lol

I totally agree with you on that one.... one of my pet peeves is the drivers that never stop for the stop sign that is in front of most BORGS mainly HD. Right in the front of the font door there is usually a stop sign to allow pedestrians to walk in or out without getting ran over, I have no idea what goes thru these peoples minds when people are actually there and they still run it...

Mike Cruz
06-01-2011, 4:10 PM
Ole, there was a whole thread pretty much devoted to your last peeve. Both sides argued strongly. Neither side could convince the other it was right, despite citing law. What it boils down to is that in many to most states, the law states that if you are traveling in the left lane, and someone is coming up faster than you, regardless of their speed, you must move to the right. However, even in a state (New York) which has such a law, there is case study that disregards that law. Meaning a man that got a ticket for not moving over fought it in court. The judge dismissed the case saying something to the effect that he will not support that law. In Maryland, where I reside, we are one of the few states that do not require a vehicle in the left lane to yeild to another vehicle that is exceeding the speed limit. In Maryland, if you exceed the speed limit, you forfeit any right of way.

While some argue that you "should" move over even if the law does not require you to, I have to respectfully disagree. It is neither my duty nor my obligation to allow someone to break the law...any law...including speeding. The limit is there for a reason. Safety. Speed causes accidents. Speed raises insurance. Speed kills. While admittedly, I will drive, as you say +5, in the left lane, when I come up to someone going exactly the speed limit, I may be a little frustrated because I would like to go a little faster, but I by no means expect them to move over for me. They are abiding by the law. I'm breaking it. It is MY duty at that point to allow the law abiding citizen to continue to drive freely, safely, and without being tailgated. Even if I don't like it.

Now, the guy that goes -5, then +5, then -5, then +5 and can't keep a steady pace...THAT will drive me off a cliff!

Ole Anderson
06-01-2011, 5:07 PM
Mike,

Like you, I have no quarrel with folks in the left lane doing the speed limit, as much as I would like +5. I do have a quarrel with folks who are consciously playing cop by forcing everyone else to accept their values, when all they would have to do is be courteous and simply move over. Unless, of course, they are keeping folks from passing on the right (not taking their turn, a fundamental kindergarten rule) when merging in a construction zone (my value, oops). Now in my MH it is -8 in a 70 zone, and I stay in the right or sometimes center lane, and stay out of the left lane unless I am passing or turning.

Personally, I get extremely uncomfortable when I know I am holding up someone behind me, regardless of my speed, and I feel that way until I get out of their way. Obviously most folks that don't share this condition.

Jim Rimmer
06-01-2011, 5:24 PM
Ole:

In response to your "we need more signs..." comment. Several years ago here in Texas we had signs on all the multi-lane roads that said "Slower Traffic Keep Right". A few years ago, the state spent a large sum of money to change all those signs to read "Left Lane for Passing Only". I have lived in Texas 36 years. They have never enforced either law. I guess some state congressman had a friend or relative in the sign business. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I agree with your other comments.

Ole Anderson
06-01-2011, 5:44 PM
Texas must have more DOT money than Michigan to make a silly sign change like that.

Another pet peeve: When some states (like FL) overlay the interstate lanes with asphalt, they often don't overlay the shoulder at the same time, resulting in uneven lanes heights and leaving a ridge at the edge of the travel lane which really catches the front tire of an RV if you wander just onto the edge of the shoulder and then need to pull it back up onto the travel lane.

Mike Cruz
06-01-2011, 6:05 PM
Karl, those (and all other stop signs...heck all other rules of the road!) are there for everyone else. Those stop signs (and all other stop signs...heck all other rules of the road!) are mere suggestions. You don't HAVE to obey them. Unless there is a cop around. Then make a complete stop, wave four families through, help an old lady across the street, and make sure the ducklings get out of the way. But around the next turn when there is no cop, pull out your cell to make a call, blow throught the stop sign, sneer at the families that are waiting to cross, flip the old lady off, and...oh, the poor ducklings...well, we know what happens to them.

Ain't it grand how the guy blowing by you at 80 in a 55 will slow down to 50 when he sees the cop on the side of the road? What's up with that? To a cop, that's gotta be the equivelant of a 6 year old with ice cream all over his face saying "not me".

David Prince
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
How about backing out of a parking spot at a store and while you are in the middle of the process people walk in front and in back of your vehicle when you go to shift from reverse to drive and you sit there in the middle of the driving lane half diagonal waiting for them to get out of the way so you can get out of the parking lot?

Chris Padilla
06-02-2011, 3:52 PM

I changed my pads because of this and, frankly, I'm TIRED of rowing gears. It used to be fun, but sometimes I prefer driving the truck over my BMW because it is an automatic. Nowadays, autos and manuals get the same mileage and further frankly, I'm too busy yelling at the kid, talking on my phone, and watching a DVD while I drive. ;) (kidding...I actually bike more than I drive)

Chris Padilla
06-02-2011, 4:13 PM
Regarding general traffic woes, why is it that cars pile up in the left lane? This happens mostly out in the open fields of our interstate system.

There are those few folks (truckers, mostly) that are in the right lane roughly at the posted speed limit so naturally, there are tons more folks who want to pass them.

Everyone seems afraid to pull over into the right lane. "Well, I'll pass this next guy who is 100 yards in front of me eventually. Gosh, if I pull over to the right, I'm sure to get stuck behind him."

Seems to me everyone must think this way. I get frustrated with this and will usually pass a buncha cars in the right lane...often without touching my cruise control that is typically set 5-15 miles over the posted speed signs.

Yes, I've been known to camp in the left lane but it is rare that I ever force someone to pass me on the right because I'm always glancing in the mirror to prevent this.

Mike Cruz
06-02-2011, 5:15 PM
Chris, you sometimes prefer to drive a truck? Heck, I always prefer to drive a truck over a car...BMW or not. I don't care how nice the car is, I feel a grape on the road in them...ready to get squashed! Truck 100%...manual or automatic, I don't care, but truck, yes, definitely truck.

Chris Padilla
06-02-2011, 5:22 PM
Well, the BMW is fun to drive and toss around but a manual is a curse in traffic. However, it gets way better gas mileage and is more fun to cruise at the, uhm, higher speeds sometimes allowed on our freeways. :)

David Larsen
06-02-2011, 7:45 PM
A person driving a car that is 18 feet long that merges into an opening in traffic that is 22 feel long!

Or the person that speeds up to go around you and takes the next right turn after the completion of his / her pass.

People at the checkout counter that get their credit card declined and then dig through their wallet / purse to find another card that also gets declined and then they continue to dig while you wait PATIENTLY!!!