PDA

View Full Version : OSS Decision

Kevin Herber
02-06-2005, 12:18 AM
I have been considering the Jet JBOS-5 benchtop spindle sander. It seems to be in the $325 range most places. The other day I was at HD and see the Ryobi OSS for $49!

I know the Ryobi has a lot of plastic compared to the metal Jet, but $275 difference???

I don't have any experience with Ryobi stuff. Most all of my machinery is Jet. I'm interested in opinions on both items.

Thanks -- Kevin

Herb Blair
02-06-2005, 5:42 AM
Have you looked at the Grizzly? I got mine or about $150 and it works great.

Norman Hitt
02-06-2005, 5:45 AM
I have been considering the Jet JBOS-5 benchtop spindle sander. It seems to be in the $325 range most places. The other day I was at HD and see the Ryobi OSS for $49!

I know the Ryobi has a lot of plastic compared to the metal Jet, but $275 difference???

I don't have any experience with Ryobi stuff. Most all of my machinery is Jet. I'm interested in opinions on both items.

Thanks -- Kevin

Kevin, on the original Ryobi OSS's some reported good service from them for hobbiest useage, but about a year or year and a half ago, there were quite a few reports on several forums about getting them home and the transmission was failing in short order, sometimes on the first day and I never saw any reports where that problem was fixed, and to be quite honest, I haven't seen any posts from anyone buying them since that time. Maybe they've fixed them, and maybe not, I just couldn't say. From the reports though, I think the Jet with it's tilting table is the Best and most versatile of the tabletop models, and the Delta Boss with it's fixed (non tilting) table is the next best and in the middle on price.

I tthink there's probably a good reason the Ryobi is priced at only $49. In short, You Spends your money, and you Takes your chances. I personally don't think Anyone can make one that is any good for $49, but that's just my opinion.

Jim Becker
02-06-2005, 9:35 AM
If I didn't already own the Delta BOSS, I'd buy the Jet if I didin't spring for a floor model. The Jet has a cast iron top that tilts...something I could have used innumerable times. I will not say that the Ryobi is lacking, but logically speaking, comparing a $50 machine to a $300 machine is going to show some differences, if not in function, in longevity. Make your decision based on how often you are going to use the machine and if it has the features you need/want for your shop.

Fred Hubert
02-06-2005, 10:32 AM
I tthink there's probably a good reason the Ryobi is priced at only $49. In short, You Spends your money, and you Takes your chances. I personally don't think Anyone can make one that is any good for $49, but that's just my opinion.I have the Ryobi OSS and love it. It isn't intended for a professional shop, so it's not for everyone (are all your other tools professional grade?) You can find a good review of it here: http://www.bt3central.com/articles/oss500/ -- the reviewer is a fan of Ryobi tools so expect that up front, but the review is informative nonetheless. I too am a fan of some of the Ryobi product line, but I also recognize the shortcomings of some of their products. For me, I do my best to assess what I need and then determine what is the most cost-effective solution that fits my needs.

They were $99 originally, on sale during the holidays for $87, and are on clearance at $49. Rumor is that a new model is coming, but for $49 it is an absolute steal. Don't forget HD has a satisfaction guarantee (not sure if it is 30 or 90 days for Ryobi) so there is no reason whatsoever not to grab it and try it...

Regards,
~ Fred

JayStPeter
02-06-2005, 11:14 AM
If I didn't already own the Delta BOSS, I'd buy the Jet if I didin't spring for a floor model.

Something else we agree on. Though, a floor model is my real desire.

Also, take a look at the Grizzly and Wilke versions (maybe even HF). I think they are clones (save for switches and maybe motors). There are price differences and (included) spindle size differences between them all. If I remember right, the large Jet spindle is a fairly expensive option and is included on some of the others.

I was pretty much set to buy one of these when I found a heck of a deal on the BOSS. No regrets, if I really wanted to upgrade I could probably get what I paid for the BOSS off the auction site that shall remain nameless. So far I've gotten along just fine making angle blocks to do the sanding I need to without table tilt.

Also, keep in mind that the Jet (and clones) are pretty tall. You might want a bench that's a little low to put it on.

Jay

Eric Porter
02-06-2005, 11:19 AM
I will give another vote to what a fantastic machine the Ryobi is for the money. I agree that it is not a professional grade machine, but I don't intend to use it near as often as my table saw, bandsaw, jointer or other "essential" shop tools. This was my first Ryobi purchase and like you I was a little anxious. However, I read as many posting as I could find about their OSS and the good far and above out weighed the bad. I have had my OSS for about 3 months and I have used it for two big projects and it has performed flawlessly.

Eric

Scott Corbett
02-09-2005, 5:57 AM
Please be aware that , IMO, there is a gap in spindle sizes for the Jet benchtop. Goes from 5/8 to 1-1/2. So many times I have really needed a 1" spindle.

John Renzetti
02-09-2005, 2:18 PM
hi, A couple of guys in the Felder group bought the Grizzly, I believe the floor model. They've reported for the money it was a great buy and works well. Normally these guys would have bought the Clayton but for the usage planned they thought the Grizzly would be a better buy.
take care,
John

Mike Forsman
02-09-2005, 2:50 PM
About one year ago, I was in the market for an OSS. I did the research and decided that for the money that I wanted to spend at the time, that the Ryobi was the best deal. Bought one at the local HD. When I got home, I found out that the spindle was not square with the table. Thought this was no big deal just needed an adjustment. However, couldn’t find any way to adjust the spindle to the table. So, I took that one back to HD and got another. It had the same problem. Took it back also and started checking in the stores before I took another one home. Couldn’t find one that square with the table. Checked 3 stores and about 7 machines. Could be that North Texas just got a bad batch. Decided to spend the extra money and get the BOSS.

Keith Outten
02-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Last year I purchased the Jet table top model OSS from General Industrial Supply. Like Jim the tilting table was important to me and I have used it often, in fact the OSS is now one of the tools that are on my can't do without list. I did save some bucks by ordering a scratch and dent model which had a little rust on one very small area of the table top. Like my Jet bandsaw and the Jet Mini lathe the OSS is a very smooth and quiet machine, something I really appreciate these days.

Get the Scratch and Dent Jet OSS, you get all the really nice features and save some money as well !

Bart Leetch
02-10-2005, 12:42 AM
I had a Ryobi not thanks nothin but trouble. Looked at the Boss setting on the shelf right next to the Jet. I took the Jet home & have never regretted it.

Bite the bullet & get the Jet.

Bart Leetch
02-10-2005, 1:03 AM
Please be aware that , IMO, there is a gap in spindle sizes for the Jet benchtop. Goes from 5/8 to 1-1/2. So many times I have really needed a 1" spindle.

The spindle is actually about 47/64 when measured with a fractional dial caliper. While I agree a 1" spindle would be handy it wouldn't stop me from purchasing a Jet Spindle Sander again.