PDA

View Full Version : My 3rd Bowl

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 7:18 AM
I actualy turned this about a month and a half ago, around the same time I did my first 2 bowls. The inside of this one matches the contour of the outside and it was very hard to get inside to sand it properly...that and the rosewood is SO hard. So I ended up setting it aside for a while as I was getting frustrated with it. Well I finaly pulled it out and got it sanded down good...(It wasnt until I saw it in these photos that I noticed the micro chips along the edge)...anyway my wife has claimed this one for her desk at work. Rosewood, roughly "4 X "2 1/2, 5-6 coats of WOP...will buff in a week or so once fully cured.

John Keeton
05-15-2011, 7:23 AM
Tim, you sure are choosing some tough forms for your "firsties!!" Nice work on this one, and I think you will find that the pics often show up things we miss when inspecting a piece - never have figured out that one!

Michael James
05-15-2011, 9:51 AM
I love rosewood and all the dalbergia's.. I think they are worth whatever struggle arises en route to the finish line. Also as mention, not the easiest form on this either.

David E Keller
05-15-2011, 10:15 AM
That's a pretty little bowl, and the finish looks to be first rate. I agree with the suggestions about that being a tough shape, but you did a very nice job with it. Thanks.

Curt Fuller
05-15-2011, 10:36 AM
I really like the shape of this bowl Tim. For a 3rd bowl attempt, or 300th, it's really a nice little bowl. That wood is pretty too.

Lee Koepke
05-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Why is it that us beginners choose smaller, more difficult shapes ???

I like that one, and getting that interior curve to follow the outside on a small bowl is a good learning experience. That is a pretty piece of wood too.

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Tim - this is a pretty cool little bowl! Beautiful wood and it looks like you have the finishing aspect down quite well also! Nice work - I can see why your wife claimed it!

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone, this one was a challenge thats for sure...that is a very hard wood, sanding it alone took a long time. I know that I have been trying to do a lot of shapes that are more of a challenge for me as I am pushing myself to learn more....believe me there is a lot that has flopped that hasnt gotten posted here.

Dan Forman
05-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Interesting if challenging shape, looking good. If you really want to, you could sand out those little chips on the rim without refinishing the whole bowl, but I wouldn't worry about it. The new owner seems to like it well enough.:).

Dan

jwjerry w kowalski
05-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Tim, you're doing great work for only your 3rd bowl. I like the form and the wood is really attractive. I certainly didn't do as good a work as you when I first started turning, keep it up I enjoy watching your progress, you have lots of potential.

Baxter Smith
05-15-2011, 2:57 PM
Very nice bowl Tim. It looks like it just wants to be held!

Jim Burr
05-15-2011, 3:40 PM
Nice looking bowl Tim...heck of a shape for #3!

robert raess
05-15-2011, 3:51 PM
Very nice, rosewood is so beautiful,did you have allergic reaction to it? Rob