PDA

View Full Version : Carved sign for my new workshop

Frank Pellow
02-05-2005, 10:26 PM
First of all, the name of my shop is SHED 2. It is named in honour of the shop that I built at Pellow's camp 13 years ago. The name of that building is THE SHED. There is a picture of the shed in the first photo and picture of it's sign in the second photo. While working in THE SHED, I experienced the natural light and easy access to the outdoors that made me forever after unhappy with the confines of my basement shop.

Today I attended a shop carving seminar at my local Lee Valley Tools store, and I carved a sign with the tools (mini gloat) shown in the third photo. The sign is shown in the fourth photo. It is carved out of eastern white pine.

This was my first carving attempt and I am quite happy with it -in particular I like the way that I was able to incorporate the knot into the saw blade. I will do some further carving to deepen the profile, the tools on the sign will be stained silver-grey, the letters will be stained dark grey, then the whole thing will be coated with Varathane. When done I will post another picture in this thread.

Marc Hills
02-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Frank:

That is an outstanding job, first attempt or thirtieth attempt. I bet you learned more in one sitting at that LV carving seminar than you would have working from a book for a year. There's just no substitute for hands on instruction.

I can see why your first shop spoiled you; talk about lots of natural light! Well, maybe when I win the lottery some day I can get a stretch of land out in the woods and set up a nice shop; that would be my sanctuary, my retreat. Actually, that's what my present shop is; a respite from all that is uncivil and unnatural in the world, a place to create and recreate. I certainly understand why you would want even the sign for the place to be a work of art.

Make sure you show us what the sign looks like when it's complete!

Jim Becker
02-05-2005, 11:03 PM
I agree with Marc...outstanding, Frank!

Steve Inniss
02-06-2005, 7:49 AM
Frank, nice job. Do you still have The Shed (Shed 1)? Is it up around here somewhere? -Steve

Frank Pellow
02-06-2005, 8:01 AM
Frank, nice job. Thanks Steve.

Do you still have The Shed (Shed 1)? I still have 'The Shed'.

Frank, nice job. Do you still have The Shed (Shed 1)? Is it up around here somewhere? -SteveWhen I get to Muskoka, from Toronto, I am about 20% of the way there.
'The Shed' is on Pellow's Island in Lake Pivabiska north of Hearst, Ontario.

Jerry Olexa
02-06-2005, 3:14 PM
OUTSTANDING work, Frank. I also like your first shed!!

David LaRue
02-06-2005, 11:56 PM
GreaT job! :)

David

JayStPeter
02-07-2005, 9:23 AM
Cool

Jay

Frank Pellow
02-11-2005, 1:03 PM
I have now finished the sign and hung it over the door of my shop. Attached are couple of photos.

Jim Becker
02-11-2005, 1:10 PM
Looks great, Frank!! Perfect for the purpose and it looks like it belongs there, too.

Bill Arnold
02-11-2005, 2:08 PM
I have now finished the sign and hung it over the door of my shop. Attached are couple of photos.
Frank,

Very nice work! Now, tell us -- is that a reflection of the photographer in the window? If so, the cap seems to be a different color than the one in your Avatar. :D

Dave Anderson NH
02-11-2005, 5:51 PM
I like it Frank!!!! Well done and it adds a bit of personalization to what would otherwise be just an outbuilding. What die you use to protect it form the elements?

Frank Pellow
02-11-2005, 10:55 PM
I like it Frank!!!! Well done and it adds a bit of personalization to what would otherwise be just an outbuilding. What die you use to protect it form the elements?
Thanks Dave. But, I hope that there are some other aspects of Shed 2 that make it more than just another out-building. Having said that, the building needed a sign and I really think that this one suits.

I didn't use die on the sign. Rather, since the sign is "folk art", I did what I done for most folk are that I am aware of and utilized that materials that were at hand. In the case of my sign, this means that.

-The tools were stained (2 coats) using the same stain that was used for the pine siding

-The letters were painted (2 coats) using the same paint as was used for the soffits

-All parts of the sign front, back and sides were then given 3 coats of high gloss Varathane from a partly used can.

-Finally, the sign was screwed to the wall using the same type of screw that was used to screw on the siding.

Mike Holbrook
02-13-2005, 1:03 PM
Hmm, You learned that at a Lee Valley seminar. I don't think those are available in or near North Metro Atlanta. I have been itching to make a couple carved signs. Maybe a Wolf Heads Logo, would be a little ambitious. One for the entrance that says WolfBrook and one for the Training building that says Wolf's Den.

I am wondering if Frank's sign was done with a router, hand carving tools or both? Looks from the picture as if it was done by hand. Anyone know good books, videos or web sites that might help one learn this skill?

Frank Pellow
02-13-2005, 2:52 PM
Hmm, You learned that at a Lee Valley seminar. I don't think those are available in or near North Metro Atlanta. I have been itching to make a couple carved signs. Maybe a Wolf Heads Logo, would be a little ambitious. One for the entrance that says WolfBrook and one for the Training building that says Wolf's Den.

I am wondering if Frank's sign was done with a router, hand carving tools or both? Looks from the picture as if it was done by hand. Anyone know good books, videos or web sites that might help one learn this skill?
Lee Valley only has stores in Canda and I think that they only conduct seminars in Canada.

The sign was completely carved by hand. (I did use a bandsaw to cut the oval out of a pine board.)

Here is a reference to one book that I have glanced through. My first imprssion of the book is good, but I have not read enough of the book to be able to actually recommend it. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,130,46099&p=42782

Mike Holbrook
02-15-2005, 6:23 PM
Thanks for that link Frank. I will add that one to my list. I have two on the way now on using hand tools.