PDA

View Full Version : Olive Goblet Final Version and a Bracelet Tree

Kathy Marshall
05-15-2011, 1:29 AM
I finally came up with a pedestal/base combination that I'm happy with.
The pedestal is walnut and the base is another piece of olive burl from the same log as the cup. The cup got its final coat of WOP today and just needs some steel wool and buffing. The pedestal and base have a coat of DO and the 1st coat of WOP. 14" tall x 6" at the widest point of the cup. I went will a taller pedestal and made it and the base a little on the heavy side. The cup is pretty big and not delicate by any means, so I thought the bigger pedestal and base would balance it better. The pedestal is pretty basic so the focus is more on the cup (and I just really wanted to get a workable one finished).

Close up of the base.

Last weekend my mom asked me if I would turn her a bracelet stand. Today, after I turned the base on the olive goblet, there was still enough of the blank left to turn another base so I thought it would be a good start on the bracelet stand. Then went out and found a small 4-5" diameter olive branch and cut out a spindle blank. Turned it round then cut a long tenon in the center, then parted it off there so I was left with 2 spindles, each with a tenon and oriented as they would be on the final piece. Then found a walnut spindle blank and turned the stand. It's a little on the clunky side, but I wanted it to be heavy enough to stand up to use and survive being knocked over. Hopefully mom will like it, but I can always come up with another if she doesn't. If I remember correctly, its about 6" tall x 6 1/2" wide finished with DO and just the 1st coat of WOP.

I'm considering switching the bases. The color and grain of the bracelet tree base are a better match for the goblet and the goblet base is a better match for the bracelet tree, but the goblet base has a taller transition which I like better for the goblet. Any opinions?

Thanks for looking!
As always critiques and comments are welcome.

Dan Forman
05-15-2011, 4:24 AM
Kathy --- I like what you have done with the goblet. The pedestal is well proportioned to the cup, and the top element works well as a transition. I think I would rather see the base you made for your mom on the goblet, I'm just too OCD to be able to appreciate the brown funkiness on the one edge of base that is on there now. Like the bracelet stand, and bet your mom will like it too.

Dan

John Keeton
05-15-2011, 6:57 AM
Kathy, excellent work on both projects. Although I do agree on the color/texture match being better by switching the bases, I do think the extra lift of the base on the goblet is helpful. A pic of both on the goblet would be helpful in making a choice.

Nice olive burl, too! Good wood combo.

Michelle Rich
05-15-2011, 7:09 AM
adore the goblet. very very appealing...

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 7:10 AM
Very nice Kathy, love the Olive wood!

Michael James
05-15-2011, 9:59 AM
Exquisite goblet. If the bracelet stand "stands" your mom will love it - Never saw one of those before so no help here.....

David E Keller
05-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Pretty stuff, Kathy! I can't tell which base looks better with which turning, so you'll have to go with your gut on that. I'll bet you mom loves the bracelet tree... I'll bet my mom would like one too, so thanks for the inspiration.

David DeCristoforo
05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
The goblet turned out really nice. The cup is great and the pedestal does not overpower it. I like the taller stem too. I do think the base competes for attention with the cup but overall, it works.

Kathy Marshall
05-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks everyone!

Kathy, excellent work on both projects. Although I do agree on the color/texture match being better by switching the bases, I do think the extra lift of the base on the goblet is helpful. A pic of both on the goblet would be helpful in making a choice.

Nice olive burl, too! Good wood combo.

Here's some pics of the goblet with each base and a pic of the goblet and bases together. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the darker base (from the bracelet tree), I think the better match on the color and grain trumps the taller transition.

194759 194761 194760

Scott Hackler
05-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Definite leaning towards the dark one. It matches the top a lot better. This is a nice turning and having done a few of these I know how fun they are to make. I would "suggest" a possible finish change of knocking down the gloss with some 0000 steel wool and applying some wax. I think that these look better with a semi-gloss or satin finish. Just a thought.

Ed Morgano
05-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Kathy,
In my mind, it's beautiful either way but don't take my word for it....the masters have already spoken. :) I do like the darker base though.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Very nice goblet, I really enjoy this type of form, I like the darker base, but I like the shape of the lighter. I would like more of a satin finish, but that's just a personal preference, really nicely done.

Baxter Smith
05-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Both are very nice projects Kathy! Beautiful wood too.

Roland Martin
05-16-2011, 2:02 PM
Very nice work Kathy. The olive burl is beautiful and the proportions work well. The bracelet tree is also very nice.

Steve Campbell
05-16-2011, 7:34 PM
Excellent job on both. I am going to try one of those goblets one of these says. I sure do like the ones on here lately. Thanks for showing us.

Steve