PDA

View Full Version : gaggle of HFs

David E Keller
05-15-2011, 12:13 AM
I posted a yorrel long neck vase a few days ago, and I decided to turn some companions for it. Here are a few more forms done with the 'hollow from the bottom' method. They range in size from about 2" tall to about 5" tall.

From left to right in the first photo: elm burl, white ash burl, spalted maple burl, yorrel burl(retread), and cherry burl.

Comments, criticisms, and suggestions appreciated as always.

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2011, 12:36 AM
David - each of these deserve their own thread! I am liking them all but really find your thin neck vessels stand out! Love the organic form! Very nice work!

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Steve is right those all deserve their own threads, those are all very nice! I love those long neck ones, did you do those from the bottom?

Hayes Rutherford
05-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Those are great David. Great use of smaller pieces of wood.

Kathy Marshall
05-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Very nice! I think they all look great!

Alan Trout
05-15-2011, 1:03 AM
David,

Very nice group. I like them all.

Alan

John Keeton
05-15-2011, 7:07 AM
David, those qualify as minatures! Really some beautiful pieces - the form on the ash burl really caught my eye, though the elm burl has some sweet lines, as well.

Michelle Rich
05-15-2011, 7:11 AM
cuter than a litter of speckled bellied pups!

Cory Norgart
05-15-2011, 8:56 AM
Wow, it doesnt take you long, does it Keller? Top notch as always.

Nate Davey
05-15-2011, 9:21 AM
Doc, those are awesome. I love the long neck shape and what can you say about the burls other than "Wow"

Michael James
05-15-2011, 9:47 AM
obviously not on call yesterday - great job on these lil fellas!

Richard Kennedy UK
05-15-2011, 9:52 AM
These are fabulous David I like them all I was surprised when I saw the size. The proportions must be spot on as I would have thought them much bigger!

Thanks for sharing

charlie knighton
05-15-2011, 10:35 AM
very nice, small but each stands out, i like the idea of turning from the bottom

Curt Fuller
05-15-2011, 10:43 AM
There's so much going on in this group of vases, it's hard to decide what to like best. Beautiful woods, shapes, and all with a real natural look. A question, when you hollow from the bottom do you have a shape in mind as you're hollowing and try to shape the inside so that you'll have a consistent thickness once you turn the outside. Those longnecks are really inspiring me to try one.

David E Keller
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Steve is right those all deserve their own threads, those are all very nice! I love those long neck ones, did you do those from the bottom?
Yep, all hollowed from the bottom. The largest opening on the top of these is maybe 1/4 inch. Most of these are hollowed through a 5/8 to 3/4 hole with some homemade tools.

cuter than a litter of speckled bellied pups!
I like speckled belly pups!

Wow, it doesnt take you long, does it Keller? Top notch as always.
Are you kidding? With wood like this, I start planning when the box hits the porch. I didn't mention above, but if anybody's interested, the white ash burl and cherry burl were part of the stuff I got from you. I've got a piece done from the black ash too, but I'm away from home until later today... I'll post some pics when I get home.

There's so much going on in this group of vases, it's hard to decide what to like best. Beautiful woods, shapes, and all with a real natural look. A question, when you hollow from the bottom do you have a shape in mind as you're hollowing and try to shape the inside so that you'll have a consistent thickness once you turn the outside. Those longnecks are really inspiring me to try one.

Thanks, Curt. I've done these forms a number of ways already, but I generally turn the outside of the blub to finished shape then hollow. I drill a hole through the entire thing which gives me an opening for the top. I used a Forstner bit on a couple to start the hollowing then finished by hand. On the long neck forms, the outer shape of the neck was done last holding the piece in expansion by the bottom opening. The cherry Burl was tough because of the void... I turned the entire outside of it then glued (where possible) the piece into a cup shaped jam chuck. I parted away the majority of the jam chuck and then reversed again as described above to get rid of the glue. I hope you do decide to do a couple of these... I always look forward to seeing your work.

David DeCristoforo
05-15-2011, 11:59 AM
These look great! But I wonder how you find time to do any doctoring, being so prolific! I'm not even going to try to pick a favorite...

Dan Forman
05-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Nice gaggle you have created. Are you working with green wood here? if so, do you have to worry about movement with the glued in plug? I really want to try one of these.

Dan

jwjerry w kowalski
05-15-2011, 12:59 PM
David, those are so interesting to look at, I just love th natural edge and the beauty of the wood, not to mention your proportions of the different forms. I'm saving this picture to look at later, thanks for posting such interesting work.

Baxter Smith
05-15-2011, 2:57 PM
Great collection David. Really like the long neck ones with the NE opening!