PDA

View Full Version : Bird House

Greg Just
05-14-2011, 11:07 PM
here is my latest birdhouse. It is made from 8 pieces of hickory glued togther. It's hanging on a tree in my backyard waiting for a tenant. I decided not to put a finish on this one and to let it weather naturally. It is about 7 inches tall, not including the roof.

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Looks pretty cool Greg! Hope you get a tenant soon!

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 12:52 AM
I love useful projects like this, that looks great.

Michelle Rich
05-15-2011, 7:20 AM
I love seeing "useful" turnings. Great job..it's very appealing to me..I hope birds find it so

Bill Bulloch
05-15-2011, 8:29 AM
That is a nice looking birdhouse. What glue did you use? How large is your opening? I have made a few small ones like this and each year my tenents are Finches .... and .... Wasp. Someone told me that if I put Vaseline on the inside roof and walls that it would discourage the wasp and not bother the birds. Ever hear of that?

John Keeton
05-15-2011, 9:00 AM
Greg, nothing like a little habitat project! Looks nice, and hope you "rent it out" quickly.

Greg Just
05-15-2011, 9:46 AM
Bill:

I use Titebond 3. The opening is 1.5 inches and according to the bird book I have, it should be good for Chickadees, Finch, Nuthatches and Wrens. There are a lot of all of these around here. I have never had a problem with wasp, but did get some mice to move into one last fall. I'd be mowing the lawn and see these eyes looking out the hole.

I have another one in process and will get it out shortly.

Greg

That is a nice looking birdhouse. What glue did you use? How large is your opening? I have made a few small ones like this and each year my tenents are Finches .... and .... Wasp. Someone told me that if I put Vaseline on the inside roof and walls that it would discourage the wasp and not bother the birds. Ever hear of that?

Curt Fuller
05-15-2011, 10:49 AM
That's a cool birdhouse Greg. I like the idea of mounting it to the trunk of the tree.

Baxter Smith
05-15-2011, 3:05 PM
Nice job Greg. Looks very livable and you can't beat the rent!

charlie knighton
05-15-2011, 4:12 PM
nice, good to know yall are having spring what with all the snow yall had this year

Donny Lawson
05-15-2011, 9:47 PM
Nice birdhouse there. What was your starting deminisions for the body and for the lid?

Greg Just
05-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Nice birdhouse there. What was your starting dimensions for the body and for the lid?

Donny:

The 8 pieces were cut @ 22.5 degrees 2 3/8 inches wide on the outside and started about 7 inches long. For the top, I cut 3 circles, the largest @ 7 inches. The middle and top were about 6 then 5 inches. I wish I had made them a little bigger for a larger overhang. The bottom is removable to make cleaning easier. The top is attached with some nails.

Greg

Greg Just
05-15-2011, 10:22 PM
nice, good to know yall are having spring what with all the snow yall had this year

Snow is all gone, although a frost is possible through Memorial Day.

Roger Chandler
05-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Nice birdhouse! How much rent are you charging?