PDA

View Full Version : I think I am in trouble! Need some help.

Rick Markham
05-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey y'all sorry I have been away for a bit, finals had to be taken care of. (Another 4.0 semester ;))

So here is my problem:

How am I supposed to use both of these things at once?:eek:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/022-2.jpg

Ok now the serious question... How do y'all store your articulated hollowing systems when you aren't using them? Please show me your set up, for some reason I can't wrap my head around a good way to store/hang these up when they aren't on a lathe.

I will be doing a comprehensive review of the Monster and the Kobra for those that are interested. They are really two different beasts, so it isn't going to be a comparison (apples and oranges)

I will say, I have taken the Monster for a test run and LOVE it... I will be posting my first hollow form in the next couple of days... I REALLY LOVE this aspect of woodturning, and am looking forward to putting these through their paces. I think they will serve my purposes perfectly together. (I got both for reasons to be revealed later :D)
The Kobra, just showed up today, so it just got assembled and I haven't played with it yet

David E Keller
05-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Wow! Tool envy!

I store my monster rig on the wire shelving in my shop... I just stretch it out on the shelf.

What's the story behind that tool rest? I like the looks of that!

Rick Markham
05-14-2011, 10:45 PM
David, it's the tool rest you get with the Kobra, it's a hardened steel "football goal post" style rest. It really is pretty cool, solid as a tank and once it is a adjusted (since the other foot sits on the banjo) when you want to use it, you just drop it in and your good to go. I'm looking forward to trying it out, I'm not sure there is any possible way to make the Kobra any more heavy duty than it is. Stinker weighs close to 54lbs LOL

Mark Hazelden
05-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Rick,

I'll take which ever one you don't want.:) Can't help you with storage ideas since I don't yet have one.

I'm interested in your impressions. I have a friend who really wants a Kobra.

Mark

Dan Forman
05-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Congrat's, first on the grades, then on the Kobra. :) I will be waiting with bated breath for the comparison. I think I'm already turning a little blue, so please get to it.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Rick - congrats on the grades! Very impressive - keep up the good work!

I will be interested in reading how well you find these tools work for you. I have my hollowing systems stored on the wall. Keeps them within easy reach - yet are out of the way.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127289&d=1252343810

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Wow tool envy is right!! Looking forward to your review on these...somewhere in my future is one of these....just dont know which one yet, it could be 6 months down the road for me so not anything pressing. Youhave a great looking setup there thats for sure!

Hayes Rutherford
05-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Rick, here is how I store my hollowing rig. It's not articulated but I have hollowed to nine inches deep and I can have it out of the box, the laser adjusted, and be hollowing in less than 20 seconds.

Why not get another lathe and just leave at least one rig set up all the time?

Rick Markham
05-15-2011, 2:23 AM
Steve, that's my answer right there bicycle hooks! Thanks!

Hayes, now that is first class storage right there! That's a beautiful set up.

Mark, and Dan, I can tell you my first impressions of the Kobra are everything that they advertise. I don't see any possible way there could be any sort of deflection in any of the thrust bearings. Al or Jerry told me that each one you can set a Ford F150 on without it deflecting... I believe it fully. I'm excited to get to try out the 1 1/4" hardened boring bar. I've got a nice piece of boxelder burl that's 10" deep, I figure I will give it a shot after my next project.
It also comes with an extension handle that screws in behind the first thrust bearing which is a well thought out feature. Needless to say I'm impressed with it. It is quite a wait though, it's been nearly 5 months since I ordered it, Jerry and Al are "semi-retired" (as Al put it.) Was it worth waiting that long... absolutely. It was very cleverly/securely packed, probably one of the tidiest jobs I have ever seen.

Once I get to play with it for a little bit, I will let y'all know how it runs! Now I need to run off and finish my first hollowform so I can take some pics!

Richard Kennedy UK
05-15-2011, 6:37 AM
I have the best storage solution for your problem .....................

just leave them in my workshop when you aren't using them!

John Keeton
05-15-2011, 6:51 AM
Rick, the most important part of your post was the 4.0 semester!!!! Great job, and you are to be congratulated on the hard work.

And, congrats on two great systems. There is another creeker that asked me why I chose the Monster vs. the Kobra. Your pic and comments illustrate my reasons - weight and maneuverability, and it seemed suited to the type of hollowing I do. But, I think the Kobra certainly has a purpose, and I look forward to your in depth review. This will be a great opportunity for others trying to decide which to go with.

On storage, I have an old upright, two door metal cabinet with adjustable shelves. It is home to my Holdfast vacuum system, my Monster, my airbrush, and my pyro stuff - along with some non-turning related junk.

Alan Trout
05-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Rick,

Nice tool. It is my understanding that anyone whom has used a Kobra unit says its the best. I hope you really enjoy it. Here is my storage setup for my monster rigs. I am also working on a Idea for a deep hollowing system. I have the components but will have to wait a while before I can build it as I am to busy right now. Its a bit of a different concept. The more I hollow items the more ways I see I want my tooling to work so my design changes from piece to piece.

Congratulations on your grades. And now have a little fun.

Alan

Ron Bontz
05-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Rick. Thanks for posting this. Looks good and yet another little bit of info. for my little bit of brain.:)

David DeCristoforo
05-15-2011, 11:52 AM
See that toolbox under the bench in Alan's pic? That's how I store mine. No walls for pegboards or bicycle hooks...

Dick Wilson
05-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Rick, There has been a long thread over on Wood Central about who uses the wire cage when they turn. 99 9/10% of the people have theirs hanging on the wall, etc. Why not use the cage in some way to store your hollowing system?

Jeff Moffett
05-15-2011, 1:35 PM
Rick, I just got my Kobra last week as well in their final batch before taking the summer off. My wait was about 4 months. I'm taking it for a test drive today and my initial impression is....wow! I don't know how anything could beat it. As you mentioned, it's very heavy and solid as a tank. Jerry and Al are perfectionists when it comes to machining the parts. Everything is a precision fit. Even the packing job in the box was impressive! I sent them an email with some questions after taking it out of the box on Friday evening, and within 30 minutes, one of them called me and the other wrote a lengthy email reply, so their prompt support comes with the tool as well. I've only been using it for about 2 hours so far, and I have nothing but positive first impressions. I look forward to reading your review!

Roger Chandler
05-15-2011, 1:55 PM
I store my monster articulating rig against the wall with 3 inch heavy deck screw as the hanger. I don't even have to take the laser off, and it hangs behind my lathe and out of the way till I want to use it .......just reach over the bed and pull the unit off the wall and mount it on the lathe.......simple yet effective.

I am totally surprised about this thread so far..........I thought this one would be labeled "ELECTROLUX" cause your gloat is the epitomy of suckology! :D;)

Seriously, what a great selection of tools for hollowing.......really looking forward to your review and comparison between the Kobra and the Monster systems. BTW.....congrats on all the hard work and your superb grades! Good job Rick!

Justin Stephen
05-15-2011, 2:00 PM
And, congrats on two great systems. There is another creeker that asked me why I chose the Monster vs. the Kobra. Your pic and comments illustrate my reasons - weight and maneuverability, and it seemed suited to the type of hollowing I do.

Another big reason I chose the Monster is because Kobra stopped making their smaller unit (Kobra Jr.), the one small enough to work on a Delta 46-460. Since the larger Monster works on the Delta, I bought that instead. So far, so good.

Bill Bolen
05-15-2011, 2:21 PM
Wow! Another 4.0 semester and top-of-the-line turning tools too.......impressive! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Kobra system. Just curious, did they use tapered thrust bearings so as to not only put the arm joints under a bearing surface but the attaching shafts of the arms also within a bearing surface?

Jon Nuckles
05-15-2011, 2:48 PM
Rick,

Congrats on the grades and the acquisitions. I was trying to figure out the best way to store my monster system, too, so thanks for asking the question.

Jon

Baxter Smith
05-15-2011, 2:51 PM
Congrats on the 4 concerning the grades. Only a 2 on the hollowing systems must be a bummer. Hope your not too dissapointed.;)

John W Dixon
05-15-2011, 6:36 PM
Seriously, Really? A Monster and a Cobra? You do suck! LOL! Congrats on the two systems and I can't wait too hear your comparisons. Congrats on the grades too! How much longer do you have?

Jack Mincey
05-15-2011, 6:46 PM
I look forward to seeing your reviews of the two hollowing systems. I have a Kobra system coming Monday or Tuesday of next week. I was lucky to be one of the last turners to get on their list for this last run and only have been waiting for a month and half. I will let everyone know what I think after putting it through its paces.
Jack

Rick Markham
05-16-2011, 1:10 AM
Hey fellas Thanks for all the replies!

Lets see if I can get to everybody in one post... If I miss ya I appologize!

John, having seen what y'all do with the Monster is what made me decide to get it too, it's perfect for precision. I also bought the optional 5/8" boring bars and cutters for the Kobra, so it should give it a fair comparison. I figure now I have 5/8", 3/4", and 1 1/4" boring bars and cutters all together. I am taking a different approach to hollowing than most. I've got a history of carpal tunnel so I am pretty protective of my wrists. Needless to say, I have no interest in hand hollowing for that reason (twisting in my wrists is what aggravates it) So when I came across the Kobra I decided on using it instead of a captive system for deep hollowing or roughing out, Then come back and clean up with the monster. I actually think I have found a way to run both simutaneously on the lathe for smaller forms, which will give me the opportunity to have two different cutting tools set up without having to stop to make adjustments in transitions. We will see how that works out.

Interestingly, the range and freedom of motion of the boring bar on the Kobra (having one more articulated joint than the Monster) is greater. You can move the boring bar in smoother lateral directions. It will be interesting to see how both of them "break in" so to speak.

Jon, I ended up hanging mine on my heavy duty peg board with the laser attached. The Kobra is what I need to figure out now.

David D, Your shop is much tidier than mine, I could lose that tool box in my tiny shop (joking... kind of.) I wish I had room for a bigger tool chest, that would be a perfect answer (and an excuse to get a bigger tool chest.)

Baxter, Nah I'm not disappointed at all :D

Jeff, I have 0 complaints or concerns about either the Monster or the Kobra. Dealing with Randy has been a fantastic experience, and dealing with Jerry and Al, has been 5 star service too. Both systems come with fantastic service from fantastic folks.

Roger, I know I suck! :D

Dick, not a bad idea on using the cage... mine is sitting outside in my carport LOL

Alan, I think I relate to that. There is always some new strategy or methodology going through my brain, I've had a couple kicking around for awhile now... can't wait to get them out.

Bill, I am not sure whether they are tapered bearings or not. The joints came already assembled Jerry or Al could tell ya. I'm not gonna take it apart unless I have too, and I very seriously doubt in a lifetime you would every have too... time will tell.

Whew, that was a long one! Thanks to everyone who made it this far, and to those who didn't sorry for rambling :p

Ken Whitney
05-16-2011, 8:36 AM
I have the monster captive system. I store it in the rafters on some bicycle hook things from Home Depot.

Ken