PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpener System?

Jack Gaskins
05-14-2011, 7:49 PM
Want to sharpen my pocket knives and was looking around the internet for a system to purchace. From what I gather, the Lansky is suggested for all beginners and for us that only need to resharpen a few knives a couple times a year. Anyone use such a system or suggest something else.

Jerry Bruette
05-14-2011, 9:45 PM
I use a similar system but can't think of the name right now. You have to be careful how you hold the thing cause it's easy to slip and cut your self. I use it for my hunting knife and that's about it, for my fillet and kithcen knives I use something calle Redi-Edge. It's two carbide inserts mounted in a piece of round aluminum that's flatted on the bottom. You sharpen the knive by pulling it through the carbide inserts. Real easy to do and fast.

Von Bickley
05-14-2011, 9:58 PM
My SIL gave me a Lansky sharpening kit for Christmas. He has used one for several years and has great results with it. I have only used mine on one knife so far and it works very well.

I think you would be well pleased with one.......

Keith Outten
05-15-2011, 9:27 AM
Jack,

I purchased my Lansky sharpening system in the mid eighties. Its easy to use and provides a nice sharp edge that follows the contour of the knife.
If I could ever wear out the stones I would buy another in a heart beat.

Rich Engelhardt
05-16-2011, 6:26 AM
I've usead all sorts of things, including the Lansky, over the years.

The best thing I've found is a a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

I used to stone my knives about once a month. I'd get out all the litchen knives and all my pocket knives, and spend an hour or two getting all of them good and sharp.
I still use a Norton Oil Stone when the blades get to worn down for the Sharpmaker to bring back, but, it's like every other year or so now.

I don't think I've touched my Lansky for a good ten years. It is a decent enough system though. I just prefer the Norton stone.
I'd highly recommend picking up a Sharpmaker in addition to the Lansky.
Most knives don't require the removal of metal to restore a razor edge.
All they need is for the wire edge to be forced back into shape - similar to a using a butcher's steel.

Marty Paulus
05-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Years ago I had that system. It worked. Fillet knives and even a kitchen knife I was given that you had to warm up to go thru room temp butter. It put an edge on them that was very sharp. Now that I am older and have better knives I actually use something called 'Chef's choice'. It has three wheels that are used. Two are diamond and one stroping wheel. My knives are in great shape. The only drawback is the smaller pocket knives don't fit in it well. For those I wish I could find my Lansky.

John Shuk
11-23-2011, 1:53 PM
I recently bought the Lansky system with the stones based on this thread. I am sharpening challenged and used a small bladed knife that we use at work for my first foray. 20 minutes later I could shave my arm with it. I moved onto a Jensen pocket knife that I've had for a while that was really dull. After going through all of the grits in about 10 to 15 minutes, I have a very sharp and professional looking edge that has made keeping that knife in my pocket a pleasure. Now that the bevel is established to the Lansky angle I don't see it taking more than 5 minutes or less to get it back to shaving sharp.
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't started on the kitchen knives yet but I will soon.

John Lohmann
11-23-2011, 5:43 PM
I've had Lansky, & was given a Gatco. The systems are very similar. There may be better ones out there, but I have not has a reason to look. Works well for kitchen knives also. The clamp help immensely/

Brad Adamson
11-25-2011, 6:43 AM
My brother has a Lansky system and loves it. He has used it for years with no problems and says it does an excellent job.

Gene Howe
11-25-2011, 8:22 AM
Being a real klutz when it come so knife and scissor sharpening, I bought the Worksharp sharpener. Worksharp
I (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=worksharp%20knife%20sharpener&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aworksharp%20knife%20sharpener&page=1)t's extremely easy to get excellent results. Plus it sharpens axes, machetes and hoes, too.:)