PDA

View Full Version : There's this tree at the zoo

John Hart
05-14-2011, 7:37 PM
My daughter asked me a couple months ago if I would chaperone and drive a load of kids for a high school trip to the Cleveland Zoo. I said, "Sure...I can take pictures!!"
Well, Today was the day. We showed up at the school, got our instructions, and the kids got in.....and....nothing. My transmission shift linkage decided to break. I was going nowhere.

Totally embarrassed, and in pouring down rain, I crawled under the Jimmy to check it out. No way...everything bound up. So I told all the kids to go to the teacher stuff themselves into other cars. They all left. And I sat...and sat....angry.

I got so angry that I grabbed the shifter with both hands and yanked it down....it popped into drive. Ok...now I gotta get home. So I got home, pulled out the manuals...tools....hammers...everything. Ends up the problem was a simple fix. The linkage just got hung up between some other parts, and I just had to free it and put things back where they belonged. Only took 45 minutes and I still had the whole day.

So I changed my clothes....cleaned up....and headed to Cleveland. I met up with everyone and we had a great day! It rained on and off most of the day, but the temperature was nice, the air smelled clean, the animals were active, and my daughter was outwardly proud that her Dad made it despite the problem.

So I took some pictures and thought I'd post the relevant turning pic from the zoo.
All we have to do is get someone to hold the Lions back while I get out my chainsaw.;)

I have nearly 200 pictures of animals from the trip...but that would be off-topic and someone might yell at me.:D

Greg Just
05-14-2011, 7:44 PM
I have been to the Cleveland zoo but don't recall that tree. Did you ride the camels? Lot of fun! I have a sister that lives in Brecksville.

Ed Morgano
05-14-2011, 7:46 PM
John,
The zoo might pay to have that ugly thing removed. :) You should explain to them what an eyesore that is. It probably keeps visitors away from the zoo.

John Hart
05-14-2011, 8:00 PM
I have been to the Cleveland zoo but don't recall that tree. Did you ride the camels? Lot of fun! I have a sister that lives in Brecksville.

Yup...I grabbed a can of lacquer and lassoed this one

John Hart
05-14-2011, 8:01 PM
John,
The zoo might pay to have that ugly thing removed. :) You should explain to them what an eyesore that is. It probably keeps visitors away from the zoo.

They had a lot of eyesores there, Ed. Too many to count. They all need removed. :)

Jamie Donaldson
05-14-2011, 8:09 PM
Obviously diseased and should be removed IMMEDIATELY!!!

David DeCristoforo
05-14-2011, 8:09 PM
That is hideous. Something that horrid would scare the crap out of the kids having a day out at the zoo. It simply must be removed. And I can't think of a better person to remove it than yourself. It's going to take a strong stomach and much fortitude. Not to mention many "hits" of lacquer and resin fumes. Step up and volunteer.

Jim Burr
05-14-2011, 8:14 PM
Dude...I'll be there in 2 days...my cat will totally wipe out that camel...the BB gun will keep whatever lion or tigers may show up from killing your chainsaw...pleanty of room in my truck...

David E Keller
05-14-2011, 8:15 PM
I can phone in something for you to use to make the lions sleepy... Very sleepy!

John Hart
05-14-2011, 8:24 PM
Ok..I think we have a plan....Jim Burr will bring his truck...and his cat. I will bring a six-pack of lacquer, Keller will bring a big ol syringe......The cat goes for the camels....Keller runs down the lions and anesthetizes them.....and while I'm in the main office asking permission....Double D whacks that sucker right into the truck.

Ok.....good plan.

Steve Schlumpf
05-14-2011, 8:31 PM
You know... this is just like a woodturner! Overcoming all the odds just to spend a day with your daughters at the zoo and you take pictures of a gnarly tree! Ha Ha Ha! I half expect to see your picture on the 11 o'clock news! Man with chainsaw bit in rear by lion while trying to remove tree! Amazing but sure would make for a great news story!

John Beaver
05-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm just wondering how you got up there to cut off those little test pieces.
Have you turned them yet ?

Jeff Fagen
05-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Why that's the "Holy Grail" of burls.you just gotta get some of that!!!

David DeCristoforo
05-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Ok..I think we have a plan....Jim Burr will bring his truck...and his cat. I will bring a six-pack of lacquer, Keller will bring a big ol syringe......The cat goes for the camels....Keller runs down the lions and anesthetizes them.....and while I'm in the main office asking permission....Double D whacks that sucker right into the truck.

Ok.....good plan.

Right... I'm in. I'll start hitchhiking to Cleveland tomorrow. Ya'll just wait by the gate till I get there...

Bill Wyko
05-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Now John, you know this is premeditation to cut the tree down and it can be used as evedence. ROTFLMAO (Iwant a chunk if you get it.)
On another note, I went to Hawaii a while back and went horse back riding. I saw burls as big as cars. I couldn't figure out how to get it on the plane. We all must be seriously disturbed.........And liking it!!!!

Here kitty, kitty, kitty.:eek::D

Tim Thiebaut
05-15-2011, 12:45 AM
That is one cool looking tree, glad things worked out for you in the end!

Hayes Rutherford
05-15-2011, 12:52 AM
John, don't waste your time, that's just monkey dung stuck on the branches.