PDA

View Full Version : Demolition done and Construction starts!

Patrick Galpin
05-14-2011, 4:07 PM
I thought I would chronicle the construction of my dream shop, hope fellow members find it (somewhat) interesting.

I have been woodworking for 30+ years, learned from my grandfather and dad, and have always wanted my dream workshop. For the last 13 years I have worked when I had the time in the summer in a 20*30 post and beam structure that was not insulated, had a very old wood burning stove, totally inadequate electrical service, and 7' 6" height under the beams. The space was such that I had to open the garage door to plane boards over 5' long and you can see below.

I wanted to save as much of the original barnboard, floor boards, posts and beams as possible so I hired two young guys and we stripped and dismantled the building, de-nailed all the saved wood and stacked it in my barn over a 4 day span. I'm not as young as I used to be, I found out. Oh, my aching back.

Our home is located north of Belleville, Ontario, 1 1/2 hours east of Toronto and sits on the great Canadian Shield, translation - lots of bedrock. Here is what we hit doing the first "scrape" of the ground to see what we are dealing with, bedrock 2-4 feet below ground.

One thing we discovered was the original hand dug well right in line where footing had to go. The well had 25' of water in it so 2 truck loads of gravel were dumped in to provide a solid base.

The foundation - part 2

Patrick Galpin
05-14-2011, 4:34 PM
Once we had the first scrape done, we found the bedrock dropped 5 feet, basically straight down, in the back corner of the site. The excavator dealt with the 4 ton “nuggets” they found (their term for car sized boulders) easily. The next issue was the water that came into the dig, running along the bedrock. A sump pump is dealing with that but I will have to put in a drain pipe and have it trenched to lower ground. That is going to hurt the budget!

The forming crew got all the footings in place in 1˝ days and then the pumper truck came in, and 2 hours later, the footings are done.

194626194625 194627194628

Before Christmas I posted an over-view of my anticipated shop lay-out and asked for comments and suggestions, and I received a number of very good responses. Well, hundreds of decisions later, and many thousands of dollars for plans, drawings and permits, I have finally broken ground. My shop will be most of the main floor of a major addition we are adding to our home. The shop will be 30*50 with 10' flat ceilings, 6" red pine flooring over 3/4" ply and will include a dedicated finishing room, small office and a 2 piece bathroom just outside the shop.

In addition to the shop on the main floor, I am building a custom sewing / quilting room for my wife (I think I got the better deal this time!) Upstairs we are adding 3 bedroom, bathrooms and general living quarters. As happens, once the plans started, they took on a life of their own and project creep doesn’t begin to describe what has occurred!

Oh well, I know what I am dong for the next year or so. I will keep you posted as the building progresses.

ray hampton
05-14-2011, 4:58 PM
this will keep you busy for a while

Jim O'Dell
05-14-2011, 8:03 PM
Looking forward to the updates! Thanks for including us in your journey!!! Jim.

Jim Rimmer
05-14-2011, 8:48 PM
It's going to be an interesting journey. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more pics.

Joe A Faulkner
05-14-2011, 8:58 PM
Congratulations on breaking ground. I too am looking forward to monitoring your progress. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Jim Becker
05-15-2011, 9:19 PM
Great project!

----

BTW, I merged your two threads into one...it's easier for folks to follow along if you keep everything in one thread.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Chuong Nguyen
05-17-2011, 2:44 PM
This is Sweet! Can't wait to see more progress pics!

Joseph Tarantino
05-17-2011, 4:23 PM
sounds like "project creep" is another way to express the four most expensive words in home improvement........"while we're at it......"

David Nelson1
05-17-2011, 5:37 PM
A good way to control project/scope creep is to allow for the provisions (which is out of scope), but not include the undefined scope growth in this project. Don't get me started either, cause most of the time I don't listen to my own advise.