PDA

View Full Version : Painted material issue

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Lately I have been having some problems with painted steel from JDS, the BST series. I acidently cut one of my steel rulers and chipped the blade, so I had to install new blades in the shear. So I caused the problem myself.

Not only did I lose my favorite ruler, but now I have been having the cut edge paint flake off in places. I have an Accu Cutter shear and have been trying different clearances. Accu Cutter wants pretty much a zero clearance and has asked me to try up to .001". And to change the angle of the blade as it comes down. Really has not changed anything. Blades are clean, and cut paper cleanly.
I am open to more ideas, even to the point of maybe I am just using the wrong material for my plates.

Mike Null
05-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Paul

If your new blades are properly aligned and sharp the JDS material should be just fine. I use it everyday.

Have you tried cutting with the protective covering still on? I do that. Try cutting from the back side.

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I have tried with and without the covering on the material. No change. I usally have the covering on too. It does not flake until you touch the edge when you clean it so I use to miss it until the plate was installed and I was just cleaning it.

I agree it should be working OK. I talked to AccuCutter this last week and he offered some ideas and I tried all of them, I know I must be missing something, just I do not see it. I have change blades before on this shear and not had any problems.

I had not tried cutting from the back. I just did and it seems work. But it should should work with the material right side up.
Any ideas on why?

Martin Boekers
05-14-2011, 1:43 PM
I have had that issue from time to time with other suppliers also.
Only on the black/gold. I keep a Sharpie Oil Pen to touch up the
edges if need be.

The Sharpie Oil Pens are great! I use them on painted acrylics to
if there is a scratch. Good tool to have in your toolbox.

Mike Null
05-14-2011, 2:57 PM
There are times when I have just the slightest brass edge showing--less than a mm--for an inch or two along the edge. I also use a Sharpie to hide that.

Gary Hair
05-14-2011, 2:58 PM
I keep a Sharpie Oil Pen to touch up the
edges if need be.

I have never seen those before but I'm certainly going to get a set of them Lowes has a 5 pen set for $9.95

Thanks for the tip!

Gary

Martin Boekers
05-14-2011, 7:05 PM
I have never seen those before but I'm certainly going to get a set of them Lowes has a 5 pen set for $9.95

Thanks for the tip!

Gary

They're great! Michaels Hobby stores has many sizes and colors.

I have even tried these on glassware and it works well, just
haven't found a good masking material to make it work with
the laser.

If anyone comes up with it let me know.

Marty