PDA

View Full Version : French doors finally finished!

david brum
05-14-2011, 11:00 AM
I finally hung my French doors yesterday. They got high praise from my wife, who said "hey, they don't look bad at all!" Making these things was an interesting journey into a new realm of furniture making, learning to use a shaper, etc. If anybody is interested, I took some photos of the process.

Dan Friedrichs
05-14-2011, 1:51 PM
Wow! Those look great. Although, and I'm hesitant to point this out, but I think you hung them the wrong direction :D

Peter Quinn
05-15-2011, 6:35 AM
They are beautiful David! And your wife is right, they don't look bad at all! I've actually heard something very similar from my own wife. I always take it as a compliment. So are you planning the next door build yet?:D

David Nelson1
05-15-2011, 7:34 AM
If have pics, I for one am interested in seeing them.

Norman Hitt
05-15-2011, 8:32 AM
Uh...... they look real good, but how do you step over the glass on the bottom door when they are opened?:confused::D

denis tuomey
05-15-2011, 10:01 AM
WOW! Those really look good. That must of been quite a challenge, Good job David.

Lloyd Kerry
05-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Dang it, Dan! I was gonna say that! Great work, David!

Chip Lindley
05-15-2011, 2:49 PM
Wow! Those look great. Although, and I'm hesitant to point this out, but I think you hung them the wrong direction :D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=194573&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1305385189

I hear all doors look like that...Near The Equator! ;-)

Nice Fr.Doors David!

~Chip~

david brum
05-15-2011, 3:23 PM
Man, what a bunch of wise guys! No, you do not have to roll sideways on the floor to get in! BTW, Is there a way to rotate pictures while posting?

Thanks for the compliments. I'll get together a few photos of the build. These things are much more complicated than what you'd think and also use more material than you'd think. I have a real appreciation for door manufacturers. I also have a new found appreciation for how pretty vertical grain fir can be. It's dirt cheap around here, so I'm starting to think of other projects where it can be incorporated.

Bruce Page
05-15-2011, 5:05 PM
David, I rotated the picture for you. I don't think the forum software has a rotate feature. Most modern image software will let you rotate the image before you upload it.
Nice doors.

Phil Thien
05-15-2011, 5:12 PM
I also have a new found appreciation for how pretty vertical grain fir can be. It's dirt cheap around here, so I'm starting to think of other projects where it can be incorporated.

Love the doors. I, too, think vertical grain fir is beautiful. Although around here it isn't cheap at all.

Jim Rimmer
05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
David, I rotated the picture for you. I don't think the forum software has a rotate feature. Most modern image software will let you rotate the image before you upload it.
Nice doors.

I am still seeing it horizontal.

Mike Harrison
05-15-2011, 11:54 PM
GREAT LOOKING DOORS, David.

Doors take a lot more effort than you would first think.

Chip Lindley
05-16-2011, 2:58 PM
I'm thinking a photo must be rotated before it is uploaded. Using Paint, included in any iteration of Windows, allows simple photo manipulations like rotating and resizing--not a whole lot more.

Edit the photo in Paint by right-clicking the photo, choose Open With> Paint. Upload the new version to SMC and replace the sideways version with it.

Delete the errant photo so that my post here will look really DUMB! lol!

trevor adair
05-18-2011, 9:27 AM
These things are much more complicated than what you'd think and also use more material than you'd think. I have a real appreciation for door manufacturers. .

You forgot to mention they take alot longer than you would expect... With that added you have the woodworkers mantra down pat.

Harry Hagan
05-18-2011, 5:03 PM
Very nice.

I was just looking at ads for French doors—thinking about installing French Doors with stationary panels on both sides to open up a kitchen to a screened porch. That won’t happen unless I make ‘em.

Pictures and advice would be appreciated.

Paul Murphy
05-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Your doors look great! I am interested in seeing your process photos, and getting your thoughts on tooling.

Will Brauneis
05-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Very nice doors! I am interested in the build pictures also. I have been contemplating a door project so any advice would be helpful.

Where did you get your VG fir at? I live in Washington as well, and have been looking for a supplier that sells the stuff for a reasonable price. It always surprises me that all the lumber dealers i have looked at want more for it than hardwood! Considering how rampant it grows here.

Thank you,
Will